BuggyQ’s Rules for Living

I was a little out of it last week (hence my being MIA last Tuesday) with a cold, so the whole Peace Prize thing has taken a while to sink in. Here’s my take:

I have a few basic rules I try to live by:

1. Avoid people who don’t like domesticated animals.

2. Wear comfortable shoes.

3. Yield to merging traffic–literally and metaphorically.

4. Notice sunsets. (Sunrises are optional)

5. Enjoy music–either by making it or listening to it–as often as possible.

After last week, I’ve decided to add one: If Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly and Rush Limbaugh are all doing something, don’t do it. (You can think it, but doing it in public is a bad idea.)

10 thoughts on “BuggyQ’s Rules for Living

1. Athenae says:

Good luck, Buggy! Fingers and toes and eyes crossed for you!

2. liprap says:

Good luck from me as well. My granddaddy has participated in barbershop quartet competitions before – it’s so, so cool to hear about a women’s competition in the same vein. 8-)

3. BuggyQ says:

Heh, liprap, the word in Sweet Adelines is that barbershop was invented by men, but perfected by women. ;-)

4. Adrastos says:

Knock ‘em dead, dawlin.

5. MFA says:

Buggy Q, your rules are all good except: “Yield to merging traffic–literally and metaphorically.”
    Literally? No, no, no, no, NO!
    Leave enough space between your car and the car in front to allow merging traffic to merge in? Yes, absolutely.
    Don’t speed in the right lane–so that merging traffic has a chance to match prevailing speed of traffic flow? Yes, absolutely.
    Yield, when failing to yield would cause an accident? YES, absolutely.
    But DO NOT otherwise literally yield to traffic that (by design and by law) is intended to yield to the main flow of traffic!
    One might think one is being kind to the merging car, but might instead impede the flow of traffic behind, increasing the level of frustration/rage on the highway. Let the merge happen–per design, law, & custom. But don’t force it to happen.
    But hey, no quibbles with the rest, & best of luck. As for me, I’ve got to go get a life.

6. BuggyQ says:

Sorry, MFA. Didn’t mean to imply bad driving behavior–I’m just too used to Colorado traffic where the rule seems to be to cut off merging traffic whenever and wherever possible. This one stems from a long-planned book I had in mind–the Zen of Road Signs. It was going to end with “Pavement Ends.”

7. ABC says:

So I was all, who is this BuggyQ upstart taking our name?! And then I realized I KNOW YOU moderator!! You do a great job! And also you have been discovered. :)

8. BuggyQ says:

Oh, really, ABC? Now you have me curious! :)

9. Doc says:

Can we just add “or any other conservative blowhard on the radio?” We’ve got Charlie Sykes out here and he needs to be placed into a home for the criminally insane.

so far slippers and barefeet work for me