Weekend Question Thread

What’s the last present you got? Or unexpected treat from someone?

18 thoughts on “Weekend Question Thread

1. Gummo says:

Not the last present I got, but last Christmas/Hannukah/Yule, Mrs. Gummo surprised me with a terrycloth Star Fleet bathrobe, in science-officer-blue.
    Something totally silly, unexpected, and delightful.
    And she claims she can’t buy presents!

2. Dr A says:

At our Muses open house, a friend Caroline (an older Cajun LA lady who is a neighbor of good friends) brought me a petite cadeaux (little gift). It was appropriate for the occasion – a wine stopper in the shape of a shoe!

3. Misha says:

$20 in Goodwill gift certificates, which I am spending on manual typewriters at the local Goodbytes (electronics store). And Mrs. Misha brought home a dozen roses for me last week—”just because.”

i prefer buying my own stuff. i find the coolest stuff at estate sales.

5. thebewilderness says:

Two days ago I went to visit my friend who had just returned from Goa. She surprised me with a kurta and a pair of delightfully baggy pants. If summer comes this year I will enjoy them very much.

6. Lex says:

Thursday night, my wife made me brownies while I was studying.

7. SCoatt Alloway says:

An O gauge Lionel 1955 G7 Milwaukee Road locomotive from my boss. He knew it was the first train loco I ever had and his gift was completely restored and operating. As a 62-year-old aging hippie, I was touched by his gift.

8. PurpleGirl says:

A girl friend bought meJane Austen Crochet for my birthday. Along with the book she gave me a pair of earrings– silver hearts with a crown above the heart. On the heart it says “Crochet Queen”. Much as I like the book, the earrings are absolutely the best and cutest things.

9. report says:

For my birthday, I got an *entire* Magnolia Bakery vanilla cake with chocolate frosting. Oh oh my.

10. report says:

Also flowers by Emily Thompson.

11. report says:

AND a 50s lunch cloth.

12. report says:

Then my friends took me to “Clive,” with Ethan Hawke.

13. report says:

It was a good birthday. Best one ever. I am LUCKY.

14. Henry Holland says:

I’m a big fan of the Colts and my favorite player is Brandon Stokley from his Colts days. My buddy Jim recently surprised me out of the blue with a pristine, NFL-approved white Colts jersey with Stokley’s name and number on it. I’m afraid to wear it, lest I permanently stain it, it looks incredible. Love ya, Jim!

15. MichaelF says:

For Christmas my sister gave me a little something despite our no gifts agreement — a bottle of whiskey (alcohol) a pack of candy cigarettes (i.e., tobacco…by the way, they’re now called called candy sticks) and fireworks plus a grill lighter in the shape of a rifle (firearms). Sort of a holy trinity of redneck gifts.
    Hopefully I was able to return the favor by hosting her and some friends for the local Mardi Gras parade, which takes place within walking distance of the house.

16. Hobbes says:

A chess set (cheap, I’m just now finally learning how to play), five bars of chocolate, a box ofhigh calorie nourishment balls, and a Hitachi attachment. For no reason at all aside from I have an awesome roommate.

17. Kaleberg says:

A copy of “Drug-like Properties” Concepts, Structure Design and Methods”, a text book for pharmaceutical scientists. I’ll probably understand one word in ten, but it looks fascinating. When it comes to learning new stuff, I love diving into deep waters.

18. BlackSheep0ne says:

A week ago Thursday, dragging my wore-out fanny home from a six-hour search for a nonfindable tiny part … my beloved presented me (and I’m a Trekkie, and he’s *the* Trekkie, and if you’ve seen Star Trek: Generations you’ll understand why this is hilarious) a brand-new Nexus 7 and then said, “But your case won’t be here until Tuesday.”