UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Expresses Concern Over US War Crimes

From Holden:

As video of American war crimes in Fallujah finally hits the mainstream the High Commissioner for Human Rights takes note:

The United Nations’ high commissioner for human rights, Louise Arbour, said today that she was concerned that the rules of war intended to protect civilians and combatants had been violated in Falluja during the fighting between American-led forces and insurgents.

[snip]

The number of Iraqi casualties has not been officially announced. The Iraqi prime minister, Ayad Allawi, has said he does not believe any civilians were killed in the offensive, which has left more than 1,200 insurgents dead, according to a Reuters report.

Other Iraqi officials are reporting instances of civilian casualties. In a Reuters report, an Iraqi relief committee member, Mohammed Farhan Awad, said he saw 22 bodies buried in rubble in Falluja’s northern Jolan district on Sunday.

Ms. Arbour, in her statement, expressed concern over the lack of information regarding civilian casualties, as well as the “poor access” by civilians in the city to the delivery of humanitarian aid and about the lack of information regarding the number of civilians casualties.

“The High Commissioner considers that all violations of international humanitarian law and human rights law must be investigated and those responsible for breaches – including deliberate targeting of civilians, indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks, the killing of injured persons and the use of human shields – must be brought to justice, be they members of the Multinational Force or insurgents,” said the United Nations statement quoting Ms. Arbour.