Amanda resigns from Edwards campaign

At Pandagon:

Regardless, it was creating a situation where I felt that every time
I coughed, I was risking the Edwards campaign. No matter what you think
about the campaign, I signed on to be a supporter and a tireless
employee for them, and if I can’t do the job I was hired to do because
Bill Donohue doesn’t have anything better to do with his time than
harass me, then I won’t do it. I resigned my position today and they
accepted.

There is good news. The main good news is that I don’t have a
conflict of interest issue anymore that was preventing me from
defending myself against these baseless accusations. So it’s on. The
other good news is that the blogosphere has risen as one and protested,
loudly, the influence a handful of well-financed right wing shills have
on the public discourse.

8 thoughts on “Amanda resigns from Edwards campaign

1. Monkeyfister says:

She quit a high-profile PAID GIG to blog for free? Ummm… WTF?
    There are PLENTY of bloggers at Pandagon, I just don’t understand her judgment and decision-making skills. Given the choice, I think I’d have dropped Pandagon for the next 18 months, kept my tongue in my mouth, and banked the dough. For that matter, if she REALLY felt the need to sport her feminism, or whatever, she could have easily cribbed up something, and asked one of her blogmates to post it.
    I don’t get it, I honestly don’t know, but I’m sure it’s for the best– at least for Edwards’ campaign.
    –mf

2. flory says:

Damn. That sucks.
    I can understand Amanda not wanting to harm the Edwards campaign, but I hate like fucking hell giving Bill Asswipe Donahue a win.
    Fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

3. virgotex says:

yeah, the malkin-bot is already crowing about it and has dispatched her troll minions, who are trashing up the announcement thread at pandagon.

4. mdhatter says:

Well, right on her then. I suspect Donahue and Malkins celebrations will be short lived.

5. Eli says:

Feh. Edwards may not have backed down, but he unilaterally disarmed. The fact is that Donohue has NO moral standing to accuse anyone else of bigotry, religious or otherwise, and Edwards should have *called* him on it. He, or a spokesman if he didn’t want to get his own hands dirty, should have rolled out some juicy samples of Donohue’s own hate speech and demanded to know what right he had to accuse anyone else of intolerance.

6. thebewilderness says:

Back in 1992, for instance, Sinead O’Connor suggested that the Roman Catholic hierarchy was covering up an epidemic of child abuse by members of its clergy. Vigorously denying this allegation and viciously attacking O’Connor was how Donohue made his bones with the Catholic League. His indignation towards O’Connor and anyone else who suggested such a coverup of child abuse was how he grew the league from a membership of 11,000 to more than 300,000.
    This is from ‘Slacktivist’
    I had forgotten this. She was right all those years ago about the coverup. Her career was badly damaged and he became one of the corporate medias favorite bigots.

7. Eli says:

“one of” – how depressing is that?

8. This seems downright Nietzschean. Or maybe Obi-wanish. She, and the Edwards campaign, will rise stronger than ever.