Tide

Spring BREAK! WHOOOOOO! Show us your TITS … wait:

In the second spring after Hurricane Katrina, more than 10,000 college students and other volunteers once again have skipped spring break’s traditional beachfront bacchanal and instead poured into metropolitan New Orleans to work hard. It’s a volunteer wave that will reach its high point in the next week or so and continue into April before tailing off.

But this year is markedly different in the sophistication of the agencies managing the influx of volunteers, and in the work they are being sent out to do.

Once again, the volunteers represent the full roster of American higher education, from the University of Texas to Lenoir-Rhyne College in Hickory, N.C., to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

Travis Scruggs, a relief coordinator at First Baptist Church of New Orleans, said he had bookings for 1,000 volunteers in March. Catholic Charities is full, with 1,200 incoming volunteers, said Joan Diaz, director of Operation Helping Hands.

“This is not falling off,” said Courtney Cowart, who directs storm relief for the Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana. “If we had more capacity for housing people, we’d have even more volunteers than we do.”

We’ll be joining the volunteers very shortly. It’s not too late to come with us.

6 thoughts on “Tide

1. Athenae says:

spocko, we’re up to 15 people now, I think.

2. spocko says:

Do you have an idea how many are going?

3. lb0313 says:

Thanks for posting this – I thought it would cheer up scout – but/and the press is, always, always welcome. I am always so torn – it is terrific that people do this – just flat out wonderful. But I will never understand how that personal will and goodness on such a large scale doesn’t translate to a larger political will – not simply for us or this issue, but in general
    On the lighter side – there is a sign as you drive out of MSY airport for some damn vitamin company… show us you vits…

4. Dorothy says:

Excellent. I’ll keep an eye out and link to it. Take care of yourselves.

5. Dorothy says:

Athenae,
    Is there a particular group that you would recommend sending donations to? I’m really impressed at these young adults stepping up and doing this, and I’d like to send what support I can.

6. Athenae says:

Dorothy,
    We’re going to put up an online fundraiser the weekend we’re down there, so watch this space. 🙂