Hurricane Gustav

TP (has pic) and WWL reporting topping of Eastern side of Industrial Canal levee. MSNBC just now said it is Western side so a bit confusing. Butfrom WWL blog:

Pushed by high winds, waters are slamming the east side of the
floodwall in the Industrial Canal, with water lapping over. The east
side of the floodwall faces into the Ninth Ward.
Standing atop the Claiborne Bridge, white caps raged in the canal and tested the strength of the floodwall.

The water in the canal is high due to storm surge pushing water into
the Industrial Canal. Posing additional problems, unlike the London
Avenue, the 17th Street and the Orleans Avenue Canal, there is no gate
that the Army Corps of Engineers can close to stop additional water
from being pushed inside.

When the winds shift later, the waters will test the west side of the
canal, where the walls ruptured during Hurricane Katrina flooding the
Lower Ninth Ward.

East and west gets confusing in NOLA. But the topping is not into lower 9th.

UPDATE: Right now this is some overtopping and no breaches so I don’t think this should be overhyped.

UPDATE: Just now CNN reporting they were in the Lower 9th Ward and saw overtopping on that side and observed leaking at a portion of levee wall…bottom of wall. They said this was at a different part of levee wall than what breached during Katrina.

UPDATE:Here is good linkshowing video of the local NOLA stations which I think will be most reliable

UPDATE: I haven’t heard anything to confirm what CNN reported about a leak

UPDATE:Oyster in update to a post says…”Local networksseem to cast doubt on CNN’s “breach” report. WWL just said there’s only overtopping at the Industrial Canal.”

UPDATE: I have to leave for rest of the day so no more updates. To follow what is happening I recommend above link for NOLA stations.

7 thoughts on “Hurricane Gustav

it ain’t over yet.

2. hoppy says:

I watched CNN for awhile this morning – bunch of jackals. It never ceases to amaze me that anyone could see news value in a pampered reporter standing out in the rain and wind, screaming into a microphone. Believe me I have seen people too stupid to come in out of the rain before.
    You can almost see the CNN “team” salivating over the prospect of some really good pics of a really great tragedy, and they are our eyes, so we don’t have to rubberneck to see the blood and gore. Someone needs to kidnap a cute blonde so they can find something else to do.

3. hoppy says:

4. Michael says:

Everything I’ve seen reported is that the overtopping is in the Upper 9th. About a half hour ago some recent footage of Lower 9th was aired, and things look ok for now.
    Along Poland Ave. in the Upper 9th there’s a LOT of water, but the claim is that it’s all in industrial or business areas, and that no homes have flooded…yet.
    Here in BR we’re getting lots of gusts, but I haven’t lost power, so that’s good.

5. virgotex says:

Ray said the water on Poland was comparable to regular thunderstorm flooding. Don’t know who he heard it from or what he saw.

6. lb0313 says:

Just got a call from David (Tues am) – compound basically fine – and we have power. He doesn’t have power on Esplanade Ridge. Damager mostly minor wind stuff – tree damage
    So we’re all fine – hope they let us go home tomorrow

7. Athenae says:

lb, glad to hear things are reasonable. Take good care.