Welcome to the QTBS, where just like Adam West’s garage sale, you never know what you’re going to find.
– Just got back from the matinee of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. If you have any interest in seeing about $762 billion in special effects, Liev Schreiber as a major bad-ass or Hugh Jackman’s pee-pee (however briefly), you need to see this film. If you’re less impressed by brooding loaners and an Asian guy who can shoot a flea off a dog’s back at 10,000 meters, you can skip it. In my book, it was totally worth it. Next up: Star Trek.
– The best part about this movie was the overarching music. Same can be said for the Star Trek trailer. Maybe that’s what the Bushies got wrong with the whole torture thing: It wasn’t set to decent music (Hell, music even madeMel Gibson’s disembowelment in “Braveheart” work). Well, here’s the definitive waterboard song. Enjoy.
– From the “Is We Learning, Yet?” department: Administration officials at BU have been hiding copies of the campus paper because of the stories the paper has been running on their proudest med student, Phil Markoff (a.k.a. the Craigslist Killer). Of course, the student workers used digital media to not only alert the paper to this act of suppression but to also inform the rest of the world about it. Maybe, just maybe, somewhere an administrator will figure out that the more you try to suppress stuff like this, the worse the backlash is going to be. We used to have a saying at the student paper I advised: “It’s not our fault you ended up in the police blotter.”
– Speaking of the Craigslist killer, apparently, his wedding is on hold. In the understatement of the year, his fiancée’s spokeman noted, “it is obvious the way the case is developing that the plans cannot go forward.”
– Something from the “Deck Chairs on the Titanic” File: The NYT reports that Richard Besser looks really good on TV while explaining how the Swine Flu Pandemic is going to kill us all…
–Apparently some schools are trying to dumb down the smart classes. This would likely explain some of the people I’ve been dealing with during office hours…
– Jesus, is there anything out there that’s healthythat’s NOT going to kill us? To hell with this, I’m going home and eating a peanut butter and raw Mexican bacon sandwich with a spinach and alfalfa sprout salad.
If I’m alive after that, I’ll be back next week. Thanks for letting me share your air.