Holiday Cheer: Silly Movie Edition

Okay, while I am in the throes of holiday ecstasy, having finished my shopping and cards and gotten a head start on my baking (really, the key to enjoying Christmas is to start prep in August or September), it’s become apparent that folks could use a bit of help in the holiday cheering-up department.

Unfortunately, I can’t give you a new preznit or a better economy, not that I’m not trying. Instead all I present to you, in no particular order, the list of movies making their rotation during the month of December:

1. Little Women (Winona Ryder/Gabriel Byrne edition)
2. Mystery, Alaska
3. Men With Brooms
3. The Chronicles of Narnia
4. Moulin Rouge (inspired bya recent comment)
5. Cinderella Man

Apparently Christmas at Casa Athenae involves Russell Crowe. And sports. Australians in general are a big hit round these parts:

What are your favorite holiday movies?

21 thoughts on “Holiday Cheer: Silly Movie Edition

1. scout says:

Natch…guess the war is over

2. virgotex says:

pussiest war ever…
    I have a fondness for “Home for the Holidays” with Holly Hunter,Robert Downey, Jr., Anne Bancroft and Charles Durning. It’s kind of trite but I love all the actors and it’s verite enough for me that I always tear up a bit.
    While not really a “holiday” movie, I love “Desk Set” which has a great Xmas segment and is also just all-around wonderful. If you’ve never seen it,A, you need to. Wonderful dresses, wonderful women,Hepburn-Tracy, and..Joan Blondell!

3. liprap says:

I LOVE Men With Brooms. I especially love Paul Gross and Leslie Nielsen in that movie. I especially loved Paul Gross in the Due South TV series. So sad they nipped that one in the bud…

4. BuggyQ says:

Oh, Virgotex, I’d forgotten about all the Christmas stuff in Desk Set. I’m going to have to pull that one out.
    My favorite Christmas movie of all time is Miracle of Morgan’s Creek. The Christmas part is just at the end, but the whole thing is just hysterical.
    And, of course, A Christmas Story. But that really goes without saying, doesn’t it? “It’s…smiling at me!” It never gets old.
    Finally, my Christmas isn’t complete until I’ve watched Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Best. Christmas Special. Ever.

5. Jude says:

Best Christmas movie?
    Bad Santa.
    No question.

6. ashley says:

Badder Santa, the unrated version.
    Now, whenever I see Lauren Graham, the only thing that pops into my mind is “fuckmesantafuckmesantafuckmesanta”.

7. abo gato says:

Bad and Badder Santa is a favorite in the gato casa, but I have to confess a fondness for Love Actually too.

8. abo gato says:

9. Jude says:

Okay, when I saidBad Santa, the “-der” was implied.
    And Lauren Graham is foxy foxy.

10. pwapvt says:

Our favorite x-mas movie is Mixed Nuts.

11. Athenae says:

Ooh, I forgot Love Actually.
    Bill Nigh is teh Secks.

12. notanumber says:

Gotta agree its; Bad Santa and Love, Actually

13. Bunter says:

Gee, mine are Nightmare Before Christmas, Die Hard and Lethal Weapon. I guess I need therapy.

14. BuggyQ says:

Aw, Bunter, you’re just fine in my book. I love all three of those! Especially Nightmare. (Besides, with a name like Bunter, you must be a model of stability, right? 😉
    I guess I’m going to have to give Bad Santa a try. I was really leery of it based on the previews, but if y’all love it so much… And I’m a huge Lauren Graham fan (and was even *before* Gilmore Girls. She was in this extremely short-lived sitcom called Conrad Bloom in the 90’s that was really good, but got no support from NBC).

15. Elspeth R says:

Buggy! I LOVE Miracle of Morgan’s Creek! I even got it on DVD last xmas from my folks!!! 🙂 “SPOTTTTSSS!!!”
    Being a hardcore John Cusack-ian, I have added “Serendipity” to my Xmas movie mix (Cool Yule!). And of course, Love Actually is up there (Colin Firth, Hugh, Alan Rickman…teh drool!)! Christmas Story soooo rocks – “My father worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium, a master.”
    🙂
    elspeth

16. slim says:

I love Key Largo, Casablanca, Rear Window and North by Northwest this time of year – not sure why.

17. St Paul E Wog says:

An interesting and campy choice for a musical might be Holiday Inn (1942) with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby
    This has the best drunken dance sequence I’ve seen to this day…also a weird “black-face” pageant (for Lincoln’s Birthday).

18. TX Scotia says:

A.,
    I love Mystery, Alaska (was in Alaska one summer season fishing for salmon trying to make a buck and get pregnant),
    The Chronicles of Narnia (great fantasy books written by a familiar of Tolkin),
    Moulin Rouge, of course :-), most characters are based on the real people and events that happened at the Moulin Rouge at the time-can’t get “The Show Must Go On” outta my head,thanks Freddie!
    Singing in the Rain and/or An American in Paris-OK Gene Kelley just makes me happy-I love “The Dance” and he does it BEST! (Donald O’Conner is not bad either)
    Galaxey Quest-This just makes me laugh and remember the Xmas Day Premier that my daughter and I went to together and really enjoyed as Star Trek nerds,
    It’s A Wonderful Life made by the kind people a KPTK-1090, in Seattle. They did a radio play last Friday night with all the bumps and glitches of a 1930’s radio play. It is on their website now @ http://www.am1090seattle.com/index.php. Really a good production.

19. TX Scotia says:

Ah, Bunter, Nightmare Before Christmas is a hit at our house too. Especially when the “ugly step-daughters” are here.

20. gene214 says:

I despise “holiday” movies, but I just saw “Cinderella Man” for the first time. Pretty decent movie (Both Crowe and Paul Giamatti were great).

21. Maitri says:

A Christmas Story for sure. I watch it religiously every Christmas Eve day.
    “The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute. And I was at the end of it.”
    “My father wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan.”
    Great stuff.