Friday Ferretblogging: Claire, the Whole World

The whole world, Claire:

Clairehello

Yes. We have a girl. More properly, we have a miniature fluffball who looks like a fuzzy caterpillar, eats her own weight every day, and wants to be huggled and cuddled and carried around like a tiny, furry baby. She has a stubby tail and stubby little feet and was an absolute terror in the shelter. Usually we bring home chill lap ferrets from the shelter and they turn into demon dingos; this time we brought home a demon dingo and she turned into a snugglebug.

Friends who’ve had girl and boy ferrets cautioned us that the girls usually end up being in charge. Little Claire seems to be assessing the situation and so far is content to take a back seat. Riot tolerates her pretty well, herding her gently this way and that, away from his toys and towards places he thinks she should be.

Bucky? Well, Bucky thinks she’s a stuffed animal. Bucky keeps grabbing her by the scruff of her neck and trying to stash her in the box where he keeps all his stuffies. She’s about the size of the stuffies, so it makes a kind of twisted ferret sense. She doesn’t LIKE it (she hisses at him) but he isn’t hurting her in any way, and she just hasn’t gotten mad enough to kick his ass yet.

Clairebucky

I’m waiting for that day, eagerly, with the video camera at the ready.

Here’s a water bottle for size comparison purposes:

Clairebottle

We’re gonna have fun with this one.

18 thoughts on “Friday Ferretblogging: Claire, the Whole World

1. Scott says:

Excellently cute. 🙂

2. Daize says:

What a cutie pie! Congratulations on the new addition!

3. virgotex says:

looking forward to seeing her on video. She’s very delicate looking

4. Catherine F. says:

Yay! Welcome, Claire!

5. left rev., ferret envy says:

Awww! Such a beautiful girl 🙂
    Don’t give her access to the checking account. Take my word for it.
    Spouse saw the picture and said “Cute Weasel” I informed him she was a ferret. He said, “What’s the difference?”
    They’re weasel cousins, right?

6. Garbo says:

Oh welcome Claire! As a recent mommy of girl ferrets, I concur on the “I’m the boss of you” attitude. Fracas always saw me as a mere pretender to the Alpha throne. Go with it. I would willingly live in a ferret-run world. Those boys are in for it once she gets her sea legs. Can’t wait to hear all about it!

7. karen marie says:

Awwwww! It’s a baby!
    I too am a new parent. Two weeks ago I brought Lucy home. She’s a 4-month-old Cockalier with her own Youtube channel!

8. Athenae says:

Left rev, they, like weasels, are polecats. Same family.
    Aside: There’s a strip club not too far from here called POLEKATZ that we keep thinking we should hit up for a donation for the ferret show raffle. Gift certificate or something.

9. Adrastos says:

Congrats on the new arrival. She’s one lucky dingo. Bucky’s motto: everything is a toy. That’s also Della’s motto…

10. liprap says:

Hello, fuzzy caterpillar! Just so long as she’s not a buckmoth…

11. Maitri says:

Claire bug! Welcome! Beat the crap out of the boys, ok? Hugs, Auntie M.

12. Elspeth Ravenwind says:

Ahem…”SQUEEEEEE!!!” (cough)
    thank you!
    Congrats on the new lanky behbeh! I want to see video of Bucky playing ‘catch the new toy and put it away’! 🙂

13. mothra says:

She’s a cutie, alright. Those boys have no idea what’s in store for them.
    Re: the strip club. First, what a hilarious name. Second, you should TOTALLY hit them up for something. It’s a win-win situation.

a GIRL!!!!
    baby girl? yes, she will probably be alpha ferret in time.

15. Nancy in Detroit says:

She is so cute I can’t stand it. It’s all I can do to keep myself from driving to Chicago and adopting a squeasel (or two). It’s only about a 5 hour drive . . .

16. Athenae says:

Nancy, go for it. We have 111 at the shelter right now, and most of them are cute and young and healthy.

17. tata says:

Yay! A new bebeh to love!

18. Shayera says:

Aw! So cute! And, 111 in the shelter? That’s so shocking to me. California has a law against keeping ferrets. Otherwise I really think I’d make that trip.