Bigots Go Home

Buh-bye, bigots.

In past sessions, Colorado Sen. Wayne Allard and Rep. Marilyn Musgrave were conservative champions of a federal constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage in the last Congress, both sponsoring legislation to do just that.

Not this year.

The two Republicans said last week they have no plans to re-introduce their legislation in the new Congress – another sign that Democrats are now in the majority.

I swear to God I’ve never seen people’s convictions unravel so fast. Three months ago there was a grave threat to marriage and all us married straight folk were going to be forced into gay re-education camps or something. I mean it was going to be disaster and the generous folks at Focus on the Food on Your Family or whatever the fuck it’s called needed the president and Congress to save us from that. Activist judges were going to kill us all in our beds. Help us, President Bush!

Today, feh. Not that big a deal.

There’s a few things about this that are interesting.

One, that anybody who’s not already a religious bigot who was taken in by the whole “STATE OF EMERGENCY GAYS ARE COMING OMG!!!11!” rhetoric got utterly hosed and should think twice before believing these people the next time they come up with some measure designed to make a crisis out of some stuff that’s going on.

Two, that this is proof that once again the Religious Right is nothing more than the Republicans’ perpetual Political Booty Call. Wise up, Dobson and friends. They’re just not that into you.

Three, would everybody who was whining on about how there’s no difference between Democrats and Republicans so why bother doom gloom kill me now please bite me? This is why it’s important to fight. This is why it’s important not to give up. This is why it’s important to keep electing Democrats from school board on up, and this is why it’s important to get back up off the couch when we lose a couple. Because with Democrats in power, you don’t have this kind of crap making its way to the floor. Or if you do, it doesn’t go anywhere. It certainly doesn’t go to the president’s desk. I know sometimes supporting a conservative Dem versus a liberal Republican can seem like a six-of-one, half-dozen-of-the-other choice, but this is why it’s important. When a majority’s on the line, do you want the people who hang out with Musgrave and Allard or do you want the people who will raise the minimum wage?

Four: When Musgrave runs again, I want that bunny up there following her around bellowing about this, either from the inconsistency angle, the bigot angle, or the angle of “look how quick she folded when she knew it was gonna look bad on TV.” Mostly because the mental picture of Marilyn Musgrave being chased by a loud angry bunny has been cracking me up all morning.

ps. Apologies to Steve Gilliard for stealing his schtick but I couldn’t resist the bunny photo.

8 thoughts on “Bigots Go Home

1. Terry C, Pelosi Fan says:

Ya think the Foley and Haggard situations might have hurt their stupid cause just a little?

2. Paida says:

Thank you for the mini bitch slap to the “it makes no difference” crowd. I would like to add the “Democrats suck too” contingent to the slapping.
    Finally our side is learning that it is worth fighting and fighting hard. It doesn’t matter if some people don’t like us- or we look like ass holes to some people. We just need to show strength.
    I was just thinking about how after Nightline showed all of the Iraqi dead that one year they never did it again. Even though most of the country thought it was the right thing to do and that the people screaming about it were crazy, the next year the show probably just decided it wasn’t worth the trouble. That is what we need to do. Hopefully next time ABC decides to show some crazy right wing conspiracy film they will decide it is not worth the trouble.
    Like someone I know always says:”kick ’em when they are down”
    Or as Mel the cook from “Alice” says: “The best defense is a good offense.”

3. mdhåtter says:

I think Dobson isn’t even on his own side.
    Dobson’s hypocracy was illuminated a few years back when he sent out Michael Moore’s home address to the Focus on The Family mailing list – in response to Moore putting a public officials unlisted office phone line in a movie.
    links don’t work so: http://crookedtimber.org/2004/06/30/im-pretty-sure-that-this-isnt-what-jesus-would-do

4. Interrobang says:

Funny you should mention. The bigots are at home for me (see http://theinterroblog.blogspot.com/2007/01/heres-how-other-half-lives-mr-arar.html). They’re not anti-gay, although I never have told them everything about my sexual orientation or all that other stuff. I just let them think I’m totally heterosexual and cisgendered, and that’s fine with me, as it seems the worst transgression in my family is really not knowing your place.

5. Rene ala Carte says:

When they impeached Clinton, it was a straight party vote.
    Paties do make a difference.

6. dusty59 says:

Follow. But. Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.
    (Tim, Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

7. virgotex says:

“Three months ago there was a grave threat to marriage and all us married straight folk were going to be forced into gay re-education camps or something.”
    hey, and don’t think we won’t still do it! Just don’t piss us off…
    “Because with Democrats in power, you don’t have this kind of crap making its way to the floor. Or if you do, it doesn’t go anywhere. It certainly doesn’t go to the president’s desk.”
    but nobody I know is holding their breath to see if a Dem presidential candidate comes to the bat for gay marriage, either. I don’t know anyone gay who doesn’t think we’ll get thrown under the bus when push comes to shove.
    I know political expediency is not the same as real bigotry and hatred, and keeping Dems in power is my goal.
    But I’m tired of waiting for the rest of it, too.

8. GentillyGirl says:

Don’t worry… the Shock Troops will be coming in in the guise of Trans folk.
    To paraphrase Nicholson, “Wait’ll they get a load of us!”.