Army Corps of Engineers put out ANOTHER bid solicitation using contractor MWI’s specs–Bid Solicitation Cancelled when another Bidder Threatened to Sue

Matt at Fix the Pumps has a must read post with more revelations on yesterday’s revelation regarding the possible rigging of the New Orleans pump contract s–yes plural– by the Army Corps of Engineers and MWI. Here is part…

On June 9, 2006, the Corps put out yet another bid solicitation, for 23more
hydraulic pumps (16 at 17th St, and 7 at London Ave). While there were
significant changes from the January spec, the new solicitation still
included large, word-for-word chunks of MWI’s catalog specs. It was
postponed (on June 15, 2006), and then cancelled (on June 20, 2006)
before it could get to the contract award stage. At the time, the Corps
said they cancelled it because one of the potential offerors (i.e.
bidders) was threatening to sue. This was mentioned in a New Orleans
City Council meeting on June 22, 2006, for which I have the tape. When
I asked why the unnamed bidder was threatening to sue, I never got an
adequate answer, just a lot of handwaiving.

Now we know why. It
is because the other potential bidders were sick and tired of seeing
MWI’s spec in print underneath Corps letterhead for the second time in
six months.

But wait! There’s more…

Yeah unfortunately Matt has a lot more so please just go read.

In the first instance it may not have been uncommon to use a contractor’s specs given a rush order but to do it again in June 2006? To do it again…AFTER the Corps KNEW that MWI’s pumps tested as defective according to their own inspector’s memo of May 3rd, 2006 which had been emailedsubmitted to the Corps’ contracting officer for pumps in question by May 4th, 2006?

How do you justify THAT?

UPDATE: Copy of email from the engineer who wrote memo on pump testing is after the jump. It includes who she informed of the memo. (added: Email comes from Fix the Pumps blog-link to memo and email within post here)

Corps_memo

3 thoughts on “Army Corps of Engineers put out ANOTHER bid solicitation using contractor MWI’s specs–Bid Solicitation Cancelled when another Bidder Threatened to Sue

  1. F'in Librul says:

    Well, this clearly can’t be a big deal, since the Baton Rouge paper has spent the past three days slamming the Democratic governor and the Democratic candidate for Governor.
    And if it was a big deal, wouldn’t the paper of record in the state’s capitol report on it?
    The Advocate is in the BAG.

  2. Maitri says:

    Screw Baton Rouge. The New Orleans Times-Picayune hasn’t made this front page news and that’s inexcusable.

  3. 123chs.com says:

    You can certainly see your expertise in the work you write.
    The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe.
    At all times go after your heart.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: