Bike Cam

So what’s a blogger to do when they just can’t seem to write?

I don’t know…

But I dig through my parts bin and gerry rig a mount to put my video camera on my bike…

Img_0817

Img_0819

And take it for a spin…

(length: 1 minute, Music: Tu M’As Fait Rire byBeauSoleil on the album Gitane Cajun.)

12 thoughts on “Bike Cam

1. dr2chase says:

Oy. Same problem I get when I put a camera on my bike – vi-bo-ra-tion. And a sound track is necessary, because the wind noise is beyond belief.

2. scout says:

Yeah it is awful quality. Doubt i’ll ever do it again

try some chopin.
    yeah yeah, gettin in to dexter.

4. Elspeth R says:

Actually, I liked the movement it is what it is being on a bicycle – it was apropos (and the tune! who was that?). I want more bike cam and more of that cool music!!! 🙂
    Thanks for sharing!
    Elspeth

5. scout says:

The song is Tu M’as Fait Rire by Beausoleil on the album Gitane Cajun.
    Linkee:

6. lb0313 says:

ooh, bike cam competitions

7. Athenae says:

da na na na na na na na BIKE CAM!
    (Okay, it’s possible I need sleep. Or more coffee.)
    Still … BIKE CAM! I love it.

8. dr2chase says:

I tried attaching mine to my helmet once; that was Not Good, which I think means that I make too many squirrely head motions. Best I ever did was lashing it tight to the outside of a backpack which was in turn lashed into a pannier (an xtracycle, actually). All that fabric and weight tending to soak up a lot of the vibration. I used it to make a 40 minute video of road debris. Attached to the handlebars (like you did) was dead worst for vibration.

9. BuggyQ says:

I am such a bike wuss. Street riding scares the bejesus out of me–when you pulled up by that van at the beginning and it started to pull out…eeeeeek! I’m lucky to live in a town with an extensive set of bike trails. I can go 30 miles with only brief stints of road riding.
    As for the vibration, I feel that I now have some small idea of how Ann Coulter sees the world.

10. Rob says:

In the same theme, here is a great bike video shot on the streets of NYC.

Scout, I should have asked you this long ago:
    have you ever done anything with hooking up an exercycle to a generator? I’m looking at several plans and while I can’t put the power company out of business, I can charge a 12 volt battery and use it to recharge a lot of portable electric devices.

12. mothts says:

BuggyQ: I don’t know where you live, but if there is a bike advocacy group in your town, contact them and see if they offer Road 1 classes, which are classes to help you get more confident with riding with traffic. Even if you never want to ride on the road, I can really recommend this class because it just gives you more confidence all around.
    REI offers a helmet cam–I have thought of getting it to do just what dr2chase has done–show the debris in bike lanes and also the numerous places where people park in bike lanes. I thought it might be less vibrate-y…guess not.