A survivor of HiroshimaAND Nagasaki:
— A 93-year-old Japanese man has become the first person certified as a
survivor of both U.S. atomic bombings at the end of World War II,
officials said Tuesday.
Tsutomu Yamaguchi had already been a certifiedhibakusha,
or radiation survivor, of the Aug. 9, 1945, atomic bombing in Nagasaki,
but has now been confirmed as surviving the attack on Hiroshima three
days earlier as well, city officials said.
Yamaguchi was in
Hiroshima on a business trip on Aug. 6, 1945, when a U.S. B-29 dropped
an atomic bomb. He suffered serious burns to his upper body and spent
the night in the city. He then returned to his hometown of Nagasaki
just in time for the second attack, city officials said.