Proud To Be A Saints Fan

And not just because they’re 3-0 and kicking ass. Saints Linebacker Scott Fujita did an interview withDave Zirin of The Nation and spoke out in support of marriage equality and of the Baltimore Ravens Brendan Ayanbadejo who wrote ablog post on the issue:

Scott Fujita, defensive captain of the New Orleans Saints, supports Ayanbadejo’s stance. “I hope he’s right in his prediction, and I hope even more that it doesn’t take that long. People could look at this issue without blinders on…the blinders imposed by their church, their parents, their friends or, in our case, their coaches and locker rooms. Fujita continued, “I wish they would realize that it’s not a religion issue. It’s not a government issue. It’s not even a gay/straight issue or a question of your manhood. It’s a human issue. And until more people see that, we’re stuck arguing with people who don’t have an argument.” Fujita has also endorsed the October 11 National Equality March in Washington.

16 thoughts on “Proud To Be A Saints Fan

1. jeffrey says:

I’m kinda sorta in the market for a new Saints jersey. Not that I’m looking to give up my Sammy anytime soon, I just thought I should have one from the current (2006-present) era since this has been such a fun group to follow. But there aren’t many among this crop whose number I’ve wanted to wear. The only three I can think of are:
    1) Devery, but he seems to almost not make the team every season and my buying his jersey would probably be the kiss of death.
    2)Morstead, because I think he’s the MVP so far this season. But he’s the punter.
    3) Fujita, because he’s a bright, outspoken guy who tends to be on the right side of stuff. But, I kind of think he’s a crappy player.
    Guess I’ll just have to wait until Deuce comes back.

2. liprap says:

Jeffrey – No Frenchy? No “Hofstra” Colston?
    And, in other news, Drew Brees will be taking to the field this Sunday wearing pink cleats for breast cancer awareness. First the David Carradine hair and now this.

3. jeffrey says:

Actuallythe whole NFL is “going pink” for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
    Also, Frenchy, I like but he hasn’t really established himself. Colston is too obvious. Half the stadium already wears that number.

4. liprap says:

In your case, man, I’d go for the punter. It just seems to suit you.

5. Adrastos says:

Ooh, good one.

6. Jude says:

Jermon Bushrod. You don’t think that the freakin’ left tackle is important to a crazy passing attack? This guy steps in for all-pro Jammal Brown, and does a hell of a job so far.
    Give the man some love and wear his number.
    Except he probably won’t play this week. So it’s Nick Leckley.
    Damn.

7. jeffrey says:

Actually, Jude, Bushrod was fraudulently promoted over last year’s back-up Zach Strief in what I think was an attempt by the Saints front office to force Brown into obsolescence so they can excuse dumping his salary at the end of the season. With Bushrod in the line-up, Brees has been sacked a disturbingly frequent (for Brees) 4 times in the first 3 games. Bushrod has been badly pushed around in pass protection and is thankfully out this week with an ankle injury. The more reliable Strief will play left tackle.
    Brown, BTW, is out for the year so we’re going to have this Bushrod problem for the remainder of the season.

8. jeffrey says:

A and Leigh,
    I’m seriously considering it. Morstead is the MAN.

9. Adrastos says:

Hey, back in the date punter Ray Guy was THE MAN on the Raiders. I’m not syre if he’s the only punter taken in the first round but he went pretty darn high.

10. Jude says:

Yes, Ray Guy was the only first-round punter ever. USM’s finest player until some guy named Brent or Brett or something came along later.

11. The Other Sarah says:

Heh. Football!
    I want a no-foolin’ Staubach jersey.
    Aikman? Pffft.
    I like Romo.
    But y’know, Brees came out of Austin, so … given that I had no idea who any of the Saints were until the first Superdome game after Katrina (a Monday Night extravaganza IIRC, maybe even in the last ABC year of MNF) … I was frackin’ impressed with Brees, and I’ve followed him ever since.
    So what’s wrong with wearing #9?
    (says the Tony Romo fan, sneaking quietly toward an exit stage left)

are they growing up?

13. jeffrey says:

Brees = Teacher’s Pet = Boring = No can do

14. BrenyB says:

Fujita is my new hero. I’m so proud to be a Saints fan.

15. liprap says:

Are you saying Brees’ crazy mama is his only redeeming quality?