Weekend Question Thread

In honor of a very dear friend graduating from college today:

Of what accomplishment in your life are you most proud?

25 thoughts on “Weekend Question Thread

1. PurpleGirl says:

Being the first in my family to go and graduate from college. My brother started college but failed out and my sister refused to take the required science/history courses and quit. It took me a little longer than 4 years but I did graduate. Now, my family may not have celebrated this as special, but, man, I sure am proud that I did it.

2. dancinfool says:

Raising my son to be a liberal!

3. sub-dude says:

Faith in God. Nevertheless, HEAR YE! O HEAR YE!! I’m having a BIG-OL party celebrating our resurrection on my drawbridge in Heaven after our demise. So, why don’t you meet me Upstairs? God blessa youse.

4. jim dunn says:

Easy. My kids.

5. StonyPillow says:

Raising my kids. It was also the hardest job, which more often than not, was my fault. But the oldest taught me how to be a pretty good dad. They all turned out alright, I’d guess.

still thinking

7. Sandman says:

17 years of sobriety.

8. liprap says:

Having a hand in raising my now-seven-year-old little wild man. And having the chutzpah to pursue hot glassworking when I had many people trying to convince me otherwise.

9. Michael says:

Graduating from college without being in debt.

10. Publishing Beneath a Panamanian Moon.
    That and 30 years of incredible marriage.

11. Interrobang says:

Getting my Master’s degree. Going from being unemployed and broke to working at a long-term job with $10K in the bank in 18 months (especially since I make less than $30K/a).

12. eurail pass says:

Not forgetting where I came from despite some success outside.

13. The Other Sarah says:

Never stopping.

14. gilead says:

Making the world a better place. I’d rather not be more specific. 🙂

15. Jim Pharo says:

Not dying yet. The rest isn’t really relevant.

16. Oskie says:

I once found my way out of a corn maze.

17. Rene ala Carte says:

Well, for one thing, I got a Master Angler Award for a 23 pound carp.
    And raising two successful, independent (are they ever), daughters.

18. joel hanes says:

Kept faith with my ex throughout the course her chronic and increasing bipolar affective disorder until her death; supported her for twenty years after she left me; raised her kids since she could not.

no home visits by the FBI or CIA?

20. Well, organizing the Spocko defense was a blast, but I’d like to think I could top it (or at least have a successful repeat) before I hang up the blogging thingy for good.

21. FeralLiberal says:

Still working on it…

22. BlakNo1 says:

12 years without a cigarette.

23. apishapa says:

M,S, in Water Resources Engineering. I earned this 20 years after gaining my B.S. and 20 years after taking my last calculus calss. I forgot a lot in that time. In addition, I was working full time and raising three (then four children) alone. I got a divorce while pregnant in my last year. Many times I almost gave up. I do not know how I found the strength to accomplish this, but I am proud of it.
    You really can do anything you set your mind to if you are stubborn enough.

24. missy says:

I’d say my son, but he’s his own accomplishment, not mine. I’m one of those who believes you’re born with 95% of who you are, and your parents and society have maybe a 5% influence around the margins (save for the truly horrific cases of abuse, etc.). L. came into this world fully formed, with the Thompson Y-chromosome smartass gene intact, and with an innate sense of fairness and love for humanity – without any need for religion to hold those up – that make a parent proud.
    That said, I am still enormously proud that he and I achieved our tae kwon do blackbelts together: he at 8, and me at 40. And while I can’t take credit for his black belt, I did pay the $750 testing fee for each of us…