So Here’s Some Folks What Need to Be Kicked in the Dick

Adding Spirit to the list of airlines I will never use no matter how cheap the flights are:

Spirit Airlines — they of the multi-year labor dispute and the charge
for carry-on bags — would like to encourage you to buy tickets to
Cancun, Puerto Rico, Atlantic City or Fort Lauderdale with a timely new
ad campaign calledBestProtection. The tag line? “Check out the oil on our beaches.”

You know, seriously, I am coming around to Doc’s refrain that shit only matters when it happens to New York or DC, because as much as wingnuts love to hate on these places ten seconds after a terrorist attack there, I’ve never seen such a goddamn disconnect between … I mean, UNITED AIRLINES is run entirely by gaping assholes and even their post-9/11 ad campaign was respectful and kind of sweet. There’s a way to be a human in here.

And then along come these fuckholes, and who seriously thinks this is okay? I mean, a bunch of people are sitting around a room, looking over an ad campaign, and not one person has a cousin or a friend or even a warm memory of a summer vacation spent in Gulf Shores, Alabama? (Lovely little restaurant there, boardwalky-type thing, first time I ever ate real fresh crabmeat.) Nobody says, “Guys, erm.” Nobody?

13 thoughts on “So Here’s Some Folks What Need to Be Kicked in the Dick

1. TheOtherWA says:

I want to stop being amazed by how low some people can sink, but it hasn’t happened yet. They keep sinking lower. That’s got to be one of the worst ads ever.

2. virgotex says:

Someone should mail their corporate office a box of dead fish.

3. Kevin says:

Absolutely. And then with friends like Talking Points Memo, where the commenters are clapping their hands with glee over this happening to “red states” who elected Jindal and Barbour, I’m ready to kick a lot more people in the dick. Josh Marshall does some solid journalism, but the comments section on his site is turning into a liberal version of Lucianne.com.
    Whatever happened to progressives being concerned about the plight of the poor and the desperate? Maybe someone ought to tell them that this oil disaster is also affecting breastfeeding moms and Native Americans and see if that makes a difference.

4. Jude says:

Oh, that’s bad, but some of the comments at TPM are even worse. Shit along the lines of how the ignorant redneck states deserve what they’re getting.
    That’s right. These fuckholes will wish an environmental catastrophe on a gigantic ecosystem because they disagree with the worldview/politics/lack of sophistication of most of the people who live in or near said ecosystem.
    Did these numbnuts cheer when the Exxon Valdez crashed into a reef because most people in Alaska vote Republican? Are they happy when slurry from mines wipes out town in West Virginia, because those dumbass hillbillies encourage mining?
    Tools abound, and, unfortunately, they’re not all right-wing fucksticks.
    So I guess I’ll break out the steel-toed boots, A, and we can go on a dick-kickin’ spree.

5. Jude says:

Kevin, it looks like you beat me to the punch. I was gonna leave most of my comment at TPM, but I’m not registered; after reading some of the bile there, I don’t think I want to be.
    Seriously–to be giddy over the prospect of Mississippi’s tourism industry dying due to an oil spill is goddamn ghoulish. Yay! Let’s put thousands of people out of work to help validate my view of the world!
    Fuckers.

6. BlakNo1 says:

The so-called liberals who post at TPM are far more concerned about the fortunes of the Democrats than the future of The US.

7. Athenae says:

This comment is what set me fuming:
    The Gulf-coasters lost a lot of sympathy when they went to court and demanded that deep-sea drilling be permitted
    Yes. Because the Gulf-coasters made BP do things fast and cheap and stupid. They totally made them, by wanting economic development however they could get it. Honest to fuck, I was posting this back over at Tbogg, that when you’ve convinced the entire country that taxes are theft, people are gonna get the money they need to do shit any way they can, because while ideology’s nice, people need to EAT, and it’s beyond rude to lecture them when the oil companies are at fault for preying on the situation this country’s rich caused by being so fucking selfish.

8. Jude says:

Also, it wasn’t the Gulf-coasters who sued to stop the deepwater drilling ban. It was fucking Hornbeck Offshore Services. Which, you know, is a fucking oil company.
    I know there weren’t a lot of Broussards and Toches and Holloways and Barhonoviches and Nguyens and everygoddamnbodyelse in Biloxi filing amicus briefs on Hornbeck’s behalf.
    Tools.

9. Kevin says:

The TPM commenters are the same people who would scream the loudest if an earthquake hit San Francisco and some on the right were gleeful about it because the city elected Nancy Pelosi, so, you know, it totally deserved it.
    I also wonder how they’d feel if they were held personally responsible for electing George W. Bush, and therefore “deserved” whatever THEY got.
    Christ, I hate “progressives” like TPM and Kos and Arianna the Huff. Yeah, I’m ready to kick some dick with y’all.

10. Kevin says:

Also: damn you, because I now have “Kick ’em in the dick” going through my head to the tune of the B-52’s “Nip It In the Bud”…
    “Whoa-oa-oa…kick ’em in the dick…”

i think carry on should have a charge. checked should be free.

12. Elspeth Ravenwind says:

I think assholes that travel and are inconsiderate should be levied w/a fee – I have my little carry-on and NO checked bags and I keep my shit to myself. That is, the RARE times I fly.

13. Kaleberg says:

Spirit Airlines was also behind those MUFF diving and MILF ads, so this is not horribly unexpected. You’d half expect them to do a “You loved ground zero, come see the bp spill” ads except I can’t work any innuendo into the acronym.