WWTFUS: the event of the season

Huge news of the “Hey, we’re getting the band back together” varietyannounced this week:

Neil Young will reunite with Stephen Stills
and Richie Furay for a pair of performances as Buffalo Springfield for
Young’s annual Bridge School benefit concerts in Northern California,
with lineups that also include Pearl Jam, Elton John and Leon Russell,
Elvis Costello, Lucinda Williams and several other acts.

The reunion of the influential country-rock band born in 1966 in Los
Angeles will feature Young, Stills and Furay as an acoustic trio, given
the Bridge School’s history of unplugged performances by all
participants. The group’s other two original members, bassist Bruce
Palmer and drummer Dewey Martin, died in 2004 and 2009, respectively.

Springfield will top the bill both days of the Oct. 23 and 24 shows,
which generates funds and awareness for the school’s programs aiding
severely physically handicapped students.

“We make Pearl Jam look like a young band,” Young said with a chuckle over the weekend. “It’s all a matter of perspective.” Buffalo
Springfield, in turn, won’t hold the most seniority thanks to the
presence elsewhere on the shows of 83-year-old mountain music patriarch
Ralph Stanley and a pairing of two of country music’s most esteemed
singers and songwriters: 74-year-old Kris Kristofferson and 73-year-old
Merle Haggard.

The Oct. 23 show features Springfield, Pearl Jam, Williams, Costello,
Haggard and Kristofferson, Jackson Browne with David Lindley, Billy
Idol, Modest Mouse and Grizzly Bea
r.

Wait…one of these things is different than the rest…Billy Idol? Really?

Performing on the second day of the benefit will beThe Speaking Clock Revue, a “multi-artist concert extravaganza” put together by T Bone Burnett to raise money and awareness for arts education. In addition to Burnett, the Bridge School concert lineup of the revue features, I shit you not, Elton John, Leon Russell, Ralph Stanley, Elvis Costello, Neko Case, and Jeff Bridges.

So for today’s special Buffalo Springfield edition of WWTFUS, I give you what is quite possibly, even after many years, evenwithbecause of the excessive sideburns and fringe-itude, one of the high holiest two minutes and forty-four seconds of my personal pop culture catechism. Some serious air guitar was performed in front of the TV machine at my house the evening this aired. It helped that my proto-babydyke haircut at the time was nearly identical to Neil’s, minus sideburns of course. I was still only in single digits, but any girl in the world could have easily known me better, that’s how much of a badass hippie tomboy this made me feel.

Extra WWTFUS bonus trivia points to Adrastos or one of other resident musical completists who can ‘splain the presence in this clip of the shadowy bass player with his back to the camera.

—–

12 thoughts on “WWTFUS: the event of the season

1. Tommy T says:

It’s one of their roadies.
    They never could hang on to a bass player.
    Tommy

2. Virgotex says:

Ding ding ding- Tommy wins the coveted WWTFUS half-melted- then-refrozen chocolate easter bunny of grotesquery!
    The band spent more time broken up or in conflict than it did intact yet still had such gigantic impact.

3. Athenae says:

NEIL!
    Dude, this is gonna send my dad over the moon. He basically follows Neil around. Soundtrack of my childhood, Bob Uecker calling baseball games and Neil mumble-whining about the free world.
    I didn’t get Neil at all until I saw him live, and then I was like holy God, here’s somebody doing what he was put on this earth to do.

4. Gummo says:

A BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD REUNION!?????
    HOMINA HOMINA HOMINA HOMINA…

5. virgotex says:

Older Neil (1980s on) is harder for me to connect to- I love him, he’s a god, he’s in the pantheon etc, but he doesn’t excite me as a performer the way younger Neil does.
    Still don’t get the Billy Idol piece of this. Maybe he’s a friend or something. Like Neil’s good buddy John Tyson

6. Adrastos says:

Dang. Virgo beat me to the punch on this post and Tommy did so in answering the question. Call me a slowpoke, y’all.
    I wonder if Richie Furay will lead the audience in prayer before their set? Still, he’s a wonderful singer. I’m also quite fond of Poco.

7. abo gato says:

Man, I am sorry to hear that Richie Furay has the god thing going on…I was a fan of him and his music way back then.
    Oh well. Buffalo Springfield was my soundtrack when I was a teenager. Loved to see them all go on to more music.

8. Linkmeister says:

Okay, Palmer and Martin get passes for being deceased, but where’s Jim Messina in this mix? He lives right down the coast in SLO or Santa Barbara, I think.

9. Tommy T says:

I’d like to thank the Academy…
    Tommy

10. virgotex says:

Linkmeister, Messina was not one of the original founding members. So far, I’ve just seen speculation about whether he was invited to be part of reunion, nothing definite.

11. jim dunn says:

the late great and notoriously camera shy (check LP covers) Bruce Palmer

12. lloydstool says:

Has there ever, anywhere, been a bigger douchebag that Stills?