Weekend Question Thread: NOMS Edition

Favorite cold-weather treat?

Mine has to be hot apple cider. Caribou Coffee near my office makes this thing, has apple cider, caramel, whipped cream, more caramel and probably some crack in it, and I think I gain 10 pounds every winter gorging myself on them.

NOM NOM NOM.

You?

23 thoughts on “Weekend Question Thread: NOMS Edition

1. liprap says:

It’s one of my secret shames, ’cause it’s from Starfucks: a grande cinnamon dolce latte. *hangs head in shame*
    BUT it is damn tasty and warm. So there.

2. Adrastos says:

Irish coffee; strong Irish coffee. A nightime only treat.

i make my own hot chocolate. prefer bissinger chocolate pieces in milk but hershey’s kisses cheaper. also cinnimon stick tea. oh, i make shortbread cookies to go w/ the hot choc.

4. joejoejoe says:

Bread pudding. You can make it with old white bread, sugar, eggs, vanilla, raisins and cinnamon. Google ‘Bread Pudding II’ and there is a simple recipe that you can adjust as you wish.

5. FeralLiberal says:

A. you need to pay a visit to the Feral household, we squeezed out 40 gal of cider a couple of weeks ago and it’s just starting to get a little hard. Straight, heated, or spiced, it makes a phenomenal mixer with just about any form of alcohol.
    And to lay down a base before drinking, there’s nothing during cold weather better than a big pot of homemade chili!

6. MichaelF says:

A bowl of gumbo with a piece of French bread makes cold weather worth it…

7. Well, thanks to the December night in 2008 that I met Maitri, Dr. A, Adrastos, Folse, Homan, Sam and we made Hot Buttered Rum, HBR is my total fave. Good times, great folks! πŸ™‚

8. Oh, and until I can conquer a roux – my brother’s chicken & Andouille gumbo! πŸ™‚

9. frazer says:

Hot spiced wine.

10. Joe Max says:

Hot buttered rum!

11. racymind says:

Adrastos be stealin’ my thoughts while I sleep. I have a love for Irish coffee, and even thought the bar I worked at in college sold them for 95 cents. I would make 5 or 6 at a time all night long during winter, heating the glass, pouring whiskey, muddling sugar cubes in. The cream on top, there was always a trick there also. Add just a slight hint of vanilla and a kiss of powdered sugar… whip it in the blender just long enough for it to get bubbly. It should float in a perfect poured layer on top of the whiskey/coffee mixture. Ahhh…
    Anybody gets near my Irish with green fucking liquor better be armed.

12. RAM says:

Hot buttered rum is pretty darned good, Joe, but lately I’ve been drinking hot chocolate with coconut Malabu Rum in it; tastes like a Mounds bar, but not so sticky on the fingers and obviates the use of floss.

13. azportsider says:

I’m with FeralLiberal: a nice pot of homemade Chile Verde.
    Of course, I live in Phoenix, so I’m not too sure what this ‘cold weather’ is.

14. Adrastos says:

I remember that night very well indeed Elspeth. I also recall that Sam and Maitri were as drunk as skunks.

15. Tommy T says:

Homemade beef stew, heavy on the Bay Leaf.
    When you walk in the house from outside – it smells like home.
    Tommy

16. scout says:

HAM

17. Kibitzer 2006 says:

OK, I’m old and married now, so I’m into hot buttered rum, my wife, and things like that; but way back when, when I was young and lived in the upper mid-west, my favorite cold-weather treat was one of those healthy Norwegian girls. The cute, little, skinny girls were great in the summer, but come September it was time to start looking around :).
    –Kibitzer

18. Fraud Guy says:

Hot lime jello.

19. Misha says:

Bailey’s & hot chocolate.
    Tomato soup & grilled cheese sandwich.

20. escariot says:

simple:
    Venti Egg Nog Latte from Bucky’s

21. BlackSheep1 says:

Simmer together the following: one and one-half cups of apple juice, one teaspoon of candied ginger, five whole cloves, an inch of cinnamon stick, and a quarter-teaspoon each of fresh-ground nutmeg and allspice, a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, for about an hour.
    Now strain the juice through a fine mesh filter and serve it hot with a slice of whole orange in the cup.
    I bet you’ll like it every bit as much as the bought thing. I bet it’s about 1/4 the calories.

22. dancinfool says:

Homemade vegetable soup with crusty french bread, just like my momma used to make!