Friday Ferretblogging: Claire’s Sweater/Leash Edition

Claire’s so tiny that a regular ferret leash won’t fit her. She slips right out of the one we have for Riot and Bucky, so Mr. A went back to the pet store and got her a guinea pig harness. It looks like a wee sweater, with a bell and an elastic leash attached.

Generally our ferrets on leashes are kind of useless. It’s either like walking a water balloon (Bucky) or a seriously disobedient puppy hopped up on coke (Riot) and either way, you go where they want to go and not the other way round. Claire, however, is pretty good on the leash; a gentle tug and she’ll follow along. Either her previous owners trained her on it or it’s just her generally sweet (not to say stoned) nature to do what we want.

Until I put her down in the snow. OH HELL NO. Her tail puffed up to the size of a small tree and she turned tail and fled back up the stairs right to our door and scratched to get in:

I think the next walk outside will be this spring.

7 thoughts on “Friday Ferretblogging: Claire’s Sweater/Leash Edition

1. adrastos says:

Clair is a ferret after my own heart. Snow? Feh.

2. liprap says:

Poor ferret scrabbling at the door,”LET ME IIIIIINNNNN.”
    Her first thought was, more than likely, “This SUCKS. What is WRONG with you people?”

3. Claire’s a warmer climes dingo! 🙂

isn’t walking ferrets like walking cats? pointless.
    i put a leash on my cat and the gain 10 lbs and are glued to he floor.

Possible caption for the end: Maybe if I turn sideways, I can deflate to a piece of paper and slide under the door.
    I’m a little confused on this though – I know that the North American ferrets and their kin are known for living in rather harsh winter climates as a natural habitats. And I thought that went for their European kin also.
    And like Pansy, I’m confused by the idea of ferrets and leashes. My cat first turns to a stationary blob and then can twist out of a cat leash in what looks like casting a magic spell and magically appearing out of the leash. At least with a cat, there are some irregular bumps on the body for a leash to hold onto. Ferrets seem like a slick torpedo that could slide through anything.

6. Ferret day says:

I enjoyed the video. I like her sweater with a bell and an elastic leash.http://www.vivamagonline.com/index.php Looking so cute. She tries a lot but very funny. Wonderfull article and i like it!!!

7. Boulder Dude says:

Ooooooh! Teh cutez!
    I love how her puffed up tail is almost as big as the rest of her.:)