Weekend/NYE Question Thread

Resolutions?

I started running again in October. I’d basically quit over the spring/summer, a combination of being crazy-busy with the Irish bar book and then throwing my back out and then just lazy. I missed running, so in the fall when things calmed down a little I started it up again, and now I can’t believe I ever quit.

(I don’t have shin splints this time, but I do have this weird pain in my right foot, on the outside of the foot just in front of the ankle joint, and a wicked side stitch that won’t go away no matter how many bananas I eat or how much water I drink. Help, runners.)

I’ve also done the cliché thing and started a diet, in connection withthis evil thing that my friend Jennifer turned me onto. Now I go around looking at labels and considering the fast-food menu seriously instead of just getting the lard-smeared nacho plate, and while it’s a pain the ass, I do feel better than I did when I was eating butter shortbread for breakfast.

I have a fridge full of veggies and recipes for 400-calorie meals and if I’m very, very good all day I can still have a glass of wine or dessert or some of the nachos anyway. I’ve never wanted to be neurotic about what I eat, but look, I ain’t getting any younger and women in my family live into their 90s. Stuff need to work a good long time yet.

I’d like to stick with those things in 2012, because the better physically I feel, the more I’m able to accomplish, and there’s so much this year that needs doing.

What are yours?

16 thoughts on “Weekend/NYE Question Thread

1. frazer says:

Hmm, that My Fitness Pal sounds very useful–I’m giving it a try (although probably not good to start it on New Year’s Eve.) Have to figure out the exercise part–I hate to do it.

2. Tom Allen says:

Start exercising again, go back to dieting again — oh, and quit drinking again. So, nothing big, right? *sigh* 😛

3. liprap says:

I was actually holding to the fitness one fairly well until I cracked an ankle bone. Got to get back on it mostly by treadmilling & stationary biking, since the ankle’s healed enough for me to no longer be wearing a brace on it all the time, but not enough for me to be doing the exercising I was doing. Another biggie for me this year: spending less moolah.

4. Collin says:

Oh… watch out for foot pain, especially if it feels like it radiates out from your heel. Plantar faschitis is very slow to heal.. took two years for me. Apparently originates mostly from poor flexibility in your calf muscles, so do lots of stretching and if the pain is still there, stop running. You can’t run through this one.

5. k says:

Stitch in your side. You’re inhaling when one foot, right or left, goes forward. Change to starting your inhale on the other foot.
    I’m not exactly an athlete any more. But I tried it, and it seemed to work.

6. virgotex says:

Good for you re the fitness work. If the pain keeps up, get some help, from a coach or sports orthopedist, to make sure you don’t have an injury. You’re worth taking care of.
    I think resolutions are crap. I just want to keep up the fitness work I started this year but I think it’s important to center in who we already are -now. We have what we need, we don’t need to spend money and time to find it.
    PemaChodron: “We can drop the fundamental hope that there is a better “me” who one day will emerge. We can’t just jump over ourselves as if we were not there. It is better to take a straight look at all our hopes and fears. Then some kind of confidence in our basic sanity arises. This is where renunciation enters the picture.”

7. robertearle says:

The stitch can also happen if you are ‘gulping’ for air (or gulping water).
    When you feel it coming on, grunt as you breathe out (like you hear tennis players grunt as they serve… though you don’t have to be as loud).

8. left rev., proud cheesehead says:

I”m going to try not to swear so much at the goat fucking assmunches hell bent on screwing my state with a syphlitic possum scrotum.
    Sodding bastards. May they all get bleeding pimples on their privy parts and holes in their lower colons.
    Damn them all to hell with a side order of failure fucktarts.

9. liprap says:

But Left Rev, it’s been proven that cussing helps lessen the pain. Knowing that, I’d think you’d want to cuss MORE if at all possible.
    And thanks for all the pain management advice, folks. It will definitely be taken under advisement.

10. Mike says:

Have to second what Collin said about the plantar fasciitis. If it is any way associated with your heel, get it checked out. It completely knocks you out from running. There is no “toughing it out” and running through it. Took over two years for me to get through it, and I still have to be very careful and attentive to the possibility of it coming back.

11. RAM says:

I don’t do resolutions, and generally I’m totally surprised at what life throws at me so I’m anxious to see what happens next. I made the mistake of installing My Fitness Pal on my old iPod touch before I gave it to Ms. RAM. She has become absolutely obsessed with it and says she’s lost 20 lbs. but apparently can’t help but nag me and my two grown kids about our eating habits. Every visit to a restaurant now takes about 20 minutes longer as she compares every damned menu item with My Fitness Pal’s listing and then records her calories after we eat. But, hey, if it makes her happy…because if momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.

12. BlackSheep0ne says:

So, here’s some cheap help if you’re looking for a fitter new year:
    Get yourself some empty soda bottles in matched pairs — 20 oz, liter ones, and bigger ones if you’re feelin’ macho; fill ’em with water, seal the lids. Presto: free weights.
    Use ’em in connexion with yoga or hold one in each hand and wave your arms along with a favorite piece of music — the theme from Delta Force or Hawaii Five O are good for a start.
    Want some zero-impact calisthenics? Side-straddle slides (jumping jacks subbing a step to the side for the jump and a step back for the 2nd jump). Try your pushups off the kitchen wall, for a change of pace.

like lent, i am not about new years. trying to eat less butter + more exercize. but i started a few months ago.

14. Dr A says:

Ask me next year at this time if I’ve finished the cross stitch sampler I started in 1993!

15. virgotex says:

left rev, I am in awe of your swearing prowess!

16. FeralLiberal says:

Go to a doctor for the first time in too many years and have a couple of things looked at.