Weekend Question Thread

Do you cook?

I love cooking. Sometimes my kitchen-fu deserts me and a recipe I’ve made a million times just goes tits-up for no reason, but I love trying to make something complicated because when it does work out, a) sense of accomplishment and b) YUM.

18 thoughts on “Weekend Question Thread

1. filkertom says:

Oh yeah. After many years of not really having a kitchen, I’m slowly learning my way around one. Today, for example, I’m going to make barbecued chopped pork, slightly adapted from Cook’s Country Magazine (I’ve got center-cut chops, which are not as shreddable as blade chops, but they should be just fine as long as I don’t overcook them). Eggs and I are becoming old friends. I sometimes call myself Iron Chef Beef Glot — my spaghetti sauce, taco filling and chili are (he said humbly) amazing. And I make a pretty darn good oatmeal-raisin cookie. 😀 Later this spring: French Onion soup, Thai Chicken soup, and shrimp stir-fry!

2. racymind says:

I used to cook. I havent found the right drug to cure my kitchenimpotence of the last 10 years. I still prepare food for myself from time to time, but I wouldn’t call it cooking.

3. FeralLiberal says:

I cook frequently and enthusiastically, goes with the gardening and winemaking. Have more ambition than time, were I able to I’d cook mass quantities and pass it around on a regular basis.
    Come on over, peeps!

4. Hobbes says:

My cooking skills tend to manifest when I’ve got someone to cook with/for. When it’s just me, I tend to go either super simple or straight up take-out. But when I’m with other people, I’ll experiment and try new things and do all sorts of fun stuff. I just have no motivation to make my own food all that interesting…

i cook to eat good food, but i do homestyle, nothing fancy fancy. my forte is soup + cookies. ooh, i made almond shortbreads thursday. i also improved my grandma’s recipes. and my great aunt’s beef bits. cooking is cheaper too.

6. Beauzeaux says:

I like good food so I cook. My go-to recipes are simple — chili, split-pea soup, bolognese sauce, pizza, shepherd’s pie. I also make my own corned beef, pastrami, and Montreal smoked meat. My hubby’s a pretty fair cook, too. He does a mean risotto and spaghetti carbonara. As a hobby, he also makes bacon and sausages of various kinds. I also bake bread. I’ve always been a pretty fair baker — killer pies — but don’t do the baked sweets much any more.
    The reason we do all this is because we live in a semi-rural community in British Columbia. All the comforts of Northern California were left behind when we moved. So if we want kielbasa and good bread we have to make it ourselves.

7. MichaelF says:

cook–less of an artist and more of a craftsperson, but decent enough to eat-in for weeks if not months on end.
    I’ll cook curry dishes, jambalaya, gumbo, fish, roasts…not much vegetarian, to be honest. And my latest give-it-a-try, hey-it’s-not-bad is:
    Peel, marinade (6-8 hours) about a pound of shrimp in a mix of olive oil, liquid smoke, Dale’s Seasoning (for the salt/soy sauce) and fresh ground black pepper. Pan fry for just a few minutes in olive oil with garlic, a bit of ginger, green onions, and cardamom…you can put them on a skewer or toothpick, or wrap them in a flour tortilla…

8. Misha says:

I love to cook, but don’t do it as often as I should. (Remaking our household menu, too, having gone vegan last fall.)

9. Dee Loralei says:

Went to Culinary school after college. I don’t do it professionally any more, but I still love to cook.
    Beauzeaux, I want your smoked Montreal meat recipe. My uncle grew up there and a few weeks ago was waxing rhapsodic about it, would love to suprise him.

10. Yes I cook all the time. We redid our kitchen a couple years ago and now I have a chef’s kitchen. It’s amazing what it’s done to my cooking skills! I cook most nights of the week, though we eat out on weekends. And I cook my lunch during the day since I work from home. And because I cook, I also garden, grow my own herbs.
    I really like to cook Italian food but I’ve started cooking more Thai and Chinese dishes because they’re just so easy and fast.

11. RAM says:

I learned how to make a dynamite custard pie back when bleeding ulcers were one of the perks of being a weekly editor. Now that I’m retired, I really like my own chili recipe. Somehow, it always tastes better up in Wisconsin with a frosty Spotted Cow, though.

12. adrastos says:

My specialty is one pot dishes, partially cos I’m lazy but mostly cos I love throwing things together and seeing how they turn out.

13. thebewilderness says:

I do cook. I love beautiful delicious food. So I make some every day.
    Then I eat it!

14. virgotex says:

I have to cook more now than I want to. I used to enjoy it more than I do now. Now it’s more strategizing about time spent cooking vs time for other things vs not getting so engrossed in eating and food prep that I go off my nutrition plan. I try to keep it simple and light veggie-wise, and do-aheadable and storable protein-wise, then mix and combine

15. BlackSheep0ne says:

Can, have, will, do … cook. Sometimes for fun, sometimes out of curiosity. Sometimes ’cause nothing else tastes right.
    But $50 worth of parts for mac-n-cheese seems, somehow, just not right …
    1 1/2 lb pancetta, diced ($8.99 lb … it’s *bacon,* people, wtf are you selling, gold?)
    1 1/2 cups EACH heavy cream, ($4, ’cause you need more than one of the half-pint boxes)
    good asiago, ($7.99 lb)
    sharp cheddar, ($3.50 lb)
    parmesan ($15.49 a pound …)
    and
    jack cheese ($3.99 a pound)
    salt & pepper
    1 lb cooked ziti ($1.50 per 8 oz box)
    chopped green onion (59 cents a bunch)
    Ok, so you preheat your oven to 375 F and you put the pasta in salted water. You grate all the cheeses from scratch, then you brown the pancetta in a big cast-iron skillet. When it’s done you scoop it out and pour the cream straight into the bacon grease. Now stir in the cheeses, and melt them into the cream. Pour the pasta into a colander and drain it but don’t rinse it. When all the cheese but a handful (combined) is melted into the sauce, fold in the pasta and stir to coat. Salt and pepper to taste (careful, that sauce will weld itself to your mouth). Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top,
    and bake 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the finely sliced green onion and serve hot.
    It does serve eight (this stuff is so rich you can’t eat a lot at once) with leftovers. At $4 per serving it still seems pricey for mac-n-cheese … but it’s *good* mac-n-cheese.

16. Nathalia says:

Elspeth RavenwindI have to finalize my rarival arrangements w/the Athas’ but I’ll be arriving by Nola Rouge (my twee Focus) IN New Orleans around 10:30 a.m. Thursday. What a time it will be this weekend! It will be only my 3rd Mardi Gras to attend, and the first time I’m coming by myself and not w/Houston peeps. So, if anyone wants to hang out at the parades and have an extra body around to collect booty and save real estate while the potty is partaken of ring me, my number is on my FB page (under my real name). Cheers!

17. Ryoko says:

I, too, scoffed at Mister Torres, with his mthgiy garbage plan for the French Quarter, his specail stink rtemover, his 30 million dollar contract & his ferrari rides down Decatur Street with Lenny Kravitz behind the wheel . the guy got it done. It works. It’s clean. Hat’s off to Sidney Torres, whoever he hangs out with. If his proposed Chalmation Station is anything like he claims it will be, and his claims are as accurtate as the ones he made for the French Quarter, then best of luck to him. Remember, he keeps his equipment station at Elysian Fields and Chartres so clean that Krewe du Vieux was able to hold their annual ball in it. And I concur with the above comment; I’d like to see him establish a recycling program in Orleans Parish. Go Sid.*and for the record, I have better hair.

18. Masterblack says:

my point is why waste time hating on him when, as uuttrfnnaoe as it is, its not going to make a difference. none of the kids that are into lil b have a clue what real rap is, but im not gonna sit here at let that bug me. yea so they may be dim, but they enjoy it, and thats the whole purpose of music. im not gonna push my type of music on someone because i don’t agree with theirs. i live down the street from where biggie got shot, i know where hatred gets people. not worth it