Your Help Is Needed

Internet, this is Ginnie. Ginnie, Internet.

See that doggie right there?

She belongs to the mother of someone who is very dear to me. And, as noted above, your help is needed in this little doggie’s case. I’ll just let my friend say it:

My mom’s dog, Ginger fell and broke 2 vertebrae in her neck. She is an adorable miniature brown dachshund who LOVES everyone! She needs surgery and has an 80% chance of a full recovery. The surgery could cost anywhere from $3000-$5000. She is only seven years old. Without meds, Ginger is in a lot of pain and if we cannot find a way to do the surgery, the only option is to put her down. The vets want us to decide today! However, my mom is on SS and is well below the poverty line. She loves her little dog very much and it breaks her heart that she cannot afford to help Ginnie.

So there you go. You cango here to help however you can. Select “send money,” enter the amount you wish to send, toggle “friends and family,” and the e-mail address to send it to is vhealey [at] ssc [dot] wisc [dot] edu. I know that the world sucks and everyone’s broke and we’re all at the ends of our respective ropes, but please chip in for this. Like the boss always says: we’re all in this together, or we’re sunk. Okay, so I’m paraphrasing. Shoot me. Just go help this old lady keep her friend.

Back to your regular smartassery soon.

9 thoughts on “Your Help Is Needed

1. Nancy in Detroit says:

A little help sent. Updates would be greatly appreciated!

2. Athenae says:

Sent. What a face!

3. Marsupialus says:

Yes, help sent, too. Let us know what’s happening.

4. My beloved Zelda busted a vertebrae and the surgery was super easy, she was up and walking around and nearly good as new in about 4 weeks. This is so treatable. Expensive, but treatable. I hope everyone chips in, I’ll be happy to send a donation when I get my credit card in hand later today.

5. Larry says:

Sent. What a sweet girl.

6. Nancy says:

Sent help. Hope she is okay! Please let us know what happens.

7. Vicki - Ginger's "sister" says:

Hello generous, wonderful people!!!
    Ginger is my mom’s dog and words do not begin to explain our level of sheer gratitude to all of you! Thank you is just not enough so I will tell you my mom’s reaction. When I checked my email and saw the first donation come in, I told my mom the name of the donor and how much they donated to Ginger. My mom’s mouth fell open and she started to cry. She was speechless; and if you knew my mom you would really appreciate that fact! Then she quietly asked, “Who is that?” I didn’t know how to answer at first because I did not recognize the name. I humbly replied, “I don’t know, Mom. Someone who cares about you and Ginger.” Lots of tears were shed by all of us as we sat by my computer. I would announce each new donation as it came through to my mom. With each new donation, I visibly saw her spirit lifted. Now, she is a very tiny woman but it looked like she weighed 500 pounds less.
    I wanted to update all of you on Ginnie’s condition. Ginger had her surgery yesterday. They kept moving her time back so while she was scheduled for 10:30am, she did not go in until 3:15pm. The surgery was supposed to take 1-2 hours and she was in surgery for 3 ½ hours. There were some complications because she was bleeding so much. Not so much that she needed a transfusion, but enough that it made it difficult for her surgeon to see what she was doing. They took their time and they think surgery was a success. They will need to do an x-ray later today or tomorrow to make sure they removed enough of the disk material. Today Ginger is recovering. She had an “uneventful” night and we are very grateful for that. Today her vet said that she seems in good spirits and her pain is managed. She cannot urinate by herself yet, but she whines to let the vets know when she needs help going potty. Typical Ginnie…such a good girl. We are going to visit her again at the clinic in a little while and I will post pictures sometime soon.
    Ginnie’s total vet bill has not been calculated yet, but she still needs donations. Every little bit truly helps. So far, this blog has raised approximately $500 for Ginnie. That is AMAZING! Please donate if you can. Please pass on Ginnie’s story to anyone who might be able to help.
    There are two different ways that you can donate:
    1. Make donations directly to Ginnie’s vet clinic on her behalf. PLEASE NOTE: The clinic will only accept donations for Ginger until Saturday (May 5th) at 6:00pm. They will not accept donations after that.
    Middleton Veterinary Specialty Center
    1612 N. High Point Road, Ste. 100
    Middleton, WI 53562
    Phone: (608) 831-1101
    2. You can also make donations directly to my Paypal account.
    Go to http://www.paypal.com
    Select “Send Money”
    Type in my email address – vhealey@ssc.wisc.edu
    Type in the your donation amount
    Select “Personal” (not “Purchase”)
    Click on “Other”
    Thank you for helping in any way you can!

8. BlackSheep0ne says:

Please let us know how she’s doing …

9. Vicki - Ginger's "sister" says:

Ginger got to come home on Sunday and everyone was ecstatic!!! Especially my mom! 🙂
    Ginnie was getting very anxious in the last day or so at the clinic. As she began coming off of the stronger pain meds, she became more aware of her situation and all the other animals there. She also strongly detests being crated, and that is basically the only option at a clinic. She was “vocalizing” quite a bit. This was part due to the drugs, part due to disorientation, and later on due to stress. When we walked in to see her on Sunday, she perked her ears up for the first time and looked at us like, “Well come ON! Let’s go!!!” It was so good to see such a drastic improvement in her. Just amazing!
    She is doing VERY well! She is so much more comfortable at home. My mom is happy to report that Ginnie slept peacefully throughout the night. She is no longer whining. She is able to urinate on her own. She is eating and drinking on her own. She can wag her tail! YAY! She can sit on her tummy in the sternal position. She is able to move all of her legs and she is slowly getting her strength back. She is not walking yet, but it will take some time. My mom, Shirley, is so patient with her. It is quite heart-warming to watch as she cares for Ginnie. That dog is truly her baby and best friend. I CANNOT thank all of you enough for your generosity and your kind spirits.
    Through all of this ordeal, I did encounter some really awful people on other sites. But I can attest that the kind people outnumber the douchebags in this world! I have witnessed it myself in the sheer outpouring of love and support for my mom and Ginger.
    Ginger will get her sutures out on May 17th. Then she can begin physical therapy. The surgeon said that dogs who receive physical therapy are much more likely to recover after surgery than those who do not.
    I wanted to post some pictures of Ginnie after her surgery and coming home. I will have to send them to Jude and see if he can work his internet magic.
    Ginnie still needs donations. We are running out of funding options. I secured three grants and we also received private donations, but there is still a balance from her surgery. The coming months will bring additional, albeit smaller, bills.
    The Middleton Clinic is no longer accepting donations for Ginger. But you can still make donations directly to my Paypal account:
    Go to http://www.paypal.com
    Select “Send Money”
    Type in my email address – vhealey@ssc.wisc.edu
    Type in the your donation amount
    Select “Personal” (not “Purchase”)
    Click on “Other”
    Even if you cannot donate, PLEASE share Ginnie’s story with anyone who might be able to help.
    Thank you for helping in any way you can!