Weekend Question Thread

What did your parents do (or what do they do) for a living?

11 thoughts on “Weekend Question Thread

1. MichaelF says:

My father (deceased) was a military officer (carrier based Navy pilot), mom is a retired schoolteacher. I appreciate that dad was never a gung-ho type. He liked the military but didn’t push it on his kids.

2. RAM says:

My parents farmed (farming back in that era was a true partnership) until my dad’s ankylosing spondilitis got so bad he had to quit farming. After which he sold livestock feed until he retired. My mom first sold Stanley Home products at home parties until she developed nodules on her vocal chords, and then went to work as a bookkeeper, a skill she learned in high school.

3. mellowjohn says:

father (deceased) elementary band teacher. mother (deceased) nurse.

4. Jude says:

My old man was a carpenter/laborer, and my mother was a nursing aide.

5. aimai says:

My father was a scientist (now retired) he began in physics and taught physics at harvard, then switched fields and became a very successful molecular biologist and technically finished up his research career as a chemist. He is also a self taught classical scholar and has published at least one paper in an archaelogy journal and is now a professional photographer. My mother is a poet and a painter and essayist. They represent the second and third generations after immigration and were either the first generation to finish a college degree or the second generation to finish a college degree.

6. John Casey says:

My mother was a teacher, and taught 2nd grade in the same classroom from 1933 until she retired in the mid-70’s, with a short break to have 3 children in the early 50’s. My dad started as a geometry teacher, and ended up as an assistant principle. They were both the first college graduates in their families.

7. Kaleberg says:

My father was head of Miscellaneous Audit at the Department of Social Services in New York City. That was as high as one could go in the civil service. He actually made it into the Green Book, the NYC guide to who’s who in the city bureaucracy. He was a CPA who picked up extra cash doing tax returns, and he was a lawyer who did a good number of wills, partnerships and closings. (In other words, a typical child of the Depression who had stocked up on marketable skills in the hope that one, or perhaps some combination of them, could provide an income. Oh yeah, DC 37.
    My mother was an English teacher in NYC and endured generations of junior high school students. I gathered that they were the worst and that included me for a while. Oh yeah, UFT.

8. PurpleGirl says:

Both my parents are deceased. My father did various construction jobs until he became an electrician. He joined IBEW Local 3 when the small shop he worked for was organized.
    My mother worked as a nanny and seamstress for a psychiatrist and his family before she married my father. The doctor was politically connected was able to get her disabled son into a trial program for the mentally disabled. This child was from her first marriage. When she married my father, she stayed home and did not work outside the home again. For her, my father provided the “American dream” of being middle income and not needing to work.

9. Hobbes says:

Mom’s a social worker for the county; she used to work with adults with developmental disabilities but now she’s just working with the general population on a retirement slide.
    Dad’s a self-employed handyman with a bachelor of science in dance. Not joking.

10. Misha says:

Mom works as a medical radiation technologist near Dallas–Fort Worth; in an alternate universe, she didn’t lose a military scholarship and went on to become an Air Force clinical psychologist. My (adoptive) father has been a newspaper man for as long as I’ve known him. Photography, reporting, copy editing, paste-up… we’re not really in touch any more, but I do know that he’s a senior producer for some online ventures at a McClatchy paper.

11. Mark E. Bye says:

My mom was a Navy nurse who, after her discharge (and a couple of kids), worked as a psychiatric nurse at one of the VA medical hospitals in Wisconsin. My dad, a Navy medical corpsman, later became a Certified Dental Technician and worked in the dental laboratory at that same VAMC (he made all the dentures, porcelain and gold work for the inpatients there).