Dance Dance Devolution: Shutdown Coverage
Sure, sure, it’s not like he killed anybody with that tweet. And putting a shutdown playlist together is totally something that we’d do in any newsroom where I worked. But I hope we wouldn’t tell the whole Internet we were doing it and ask them to take it as just as big a joke as we found it, because the stakes aren’t the same for us as they are for the people affected by the shutdown. The black humor you use to get through your day is rarely, if ever, for public consumption.
Twitter’s best use as a news tool may be the ease with which it allows beltway “journalists” to display the amorality that makes “both sides do it” journalism inevitable. They’ve progressed from bitching about their jobs to their co-workers to bitching about them in public, acting like this is all either a giant ironic joke or the biggest chore EVAR. And let’s dial down the drama: Reporters are about to spend a week covering various types of nonsense from Republicans.
People without health insurance or paychecks are about to get sick and starve.
- NEWCEO believed dead in plane crash
- NEWCongress at new low in CNN polls
- 48 hurt in mysterious train crash
- Apple passes Coke as ‘top brand’
- Site maps 1.2 billion Facebook faces
- Fishing boats sink; 74 missing
- Mom nabs suspect in son’s death
- 5 waterspouts stun fishermen
- Man dies from fast-moving bacteria
- Mark Cuban in insider trading trial
- National parks on brink of desertion
MORE TOP STORIES
- Inside BlackBerry’s collapse Time
- Nissan, Mazda recall 260,000 cars
- Amish shooter’s wife breaks silence
- Are kids’ selfies getting too risque?
- Pot-laced candy found during bust
- Powerball winner feels cursed
- Who will be next to go to space? Time
- Time-capsule cars sell for big bucks
- Hear Katy Perry’s new track EW
- ‘Big Bang Theory’ star’s outtake goof
These are all stories displayed alongside coverage of a government shutdown, coverage that relies almost entirely on statements from various public officials and stock market analysts. Glad to see even that isn’t getting in the way of stories like what the “top brand” is and if young ladies should be showing their titties in pictures.
These are the things we’ve chosen to care about, right now. These are the things we’ve made a priority. No wonder Cilizza thinks a dance party is the best way to cope with the shutdown. They have no idea anything else might be happening. They have no clue what this looks like from anywhere but where they are.