Let It Snow

We’re supposed to get snowed in tonight and tomorrow. Mr. A and I will likely burrow in tonight — NYE is Amateur Night in Chicago, and you pay $300 to get $12 champagne dumped on you by strangers — and I’ll make a valiant attempt to stay up untli midnight.

Little Kick, who is 25 days away from her debut on the planet, dictates much of my sleeping schedule these days. From what I’ve read, that’s unlikely to change.

2014’s going to have someother big announcements, including a First Draft anthology, because WE ARE TEN YEARS OLD THIS YEAR BITCHES and I feel like we should kill some trees to celebrate. That’s like 1,000 in regular human media years, and going back over our archives as I’ve been doing for the past 12 months I’ve realized more clearly than ever how much I love this place and how lucky I am that you all come here each day and hang out and chat with us. We’re not the biggest blog, but I’ll fight anybody who says our readers aren’t the best.

Happy New Year, all of you, and I hope you’re safe and warm and happy, wherever you are.

Tumblr_my0k1m4my91qhk04bo1_400

Skaters at Rockefeller Center, 1937.

14 thoughts on “Let It Snow

1. MichaelF says:

Happy New Year to you, Mr. A, the ferrets, and the newest addition. Cheers to 2014!

extreme night owl laughs. midnight? oooh.

3. Harry says:

All best wishes to you(s) for the new year. And to all those who make this a favored address.

4. adrastos says:

Love youse guys. Be forewarned, there’s growing sentiment for a baby drop crack van…

5. Dr A says:

Happy New Year to all of you! We will have a drink for you! And toast you and Little Kick! Love from New Orleans!

6. aimai says:

Little kick is a great name. Hope you keep it for her when she gets here. My mother told me that this time is called “la dolce attessa” in Italian-the sweet awaiting. And I remember it as being a very special time for us waiting for the birth of our oldest daughter, Maya. There is nothing sweeter than cuddling down with your spouse while waiting for that baby. Have a glorious New Year’s Eve and an even better New Year.

7. M31 says:

Happy New Year to all!
    oh yeah, BABY DROP CRACK VAN
    we’ll print up the best off-color one liners and fashion them into a mobile
    “Little Kick–kicking sleazebags, douchebags, hosebags, and Teabags (but I repeat myself) to the curb with enthusiasm IN UTERO AND BEYOND”

8. M31 says:

HEY LITTLE KICK, CAN YOU HEAR US IN THERE? OK GOOD. WE’RE DOING WHAT WE CAN TO MAKE THE WORLD SOMEWHAT LESS FUCKED UP, AND WE CAN’T WAIT TILL YOU’RE OUT HERE WITH US FIGHTING. THANKS HON AND SEE YOU SOON.

9. iceblue2 says:

I’m thinking staying up until midnite might become normal in the near future. Best wishes to your family for a happy and healthy new year.

10. Eric says:

Since most blogs that make it past the 6 month mark have some form of the mutant-X gene, I would have to assume that “Little Kick” is either a cute American Indian name or the name of a truly kick-ass new X-(Wo)Man. Either way, Happy New Year I think we are all looking forward to the first screams of defiance from Little Kick.

11. Breny says:

MUST HAVE BABY DROP CRACK VAN
    We’ve had Crack Vans for Vice Presidential debates. Certainly Little Kick’s birth deserves as much. Anyway, you need to have a story to tell her about the profane celebration of her arrival by your online cohorts.

12. Sandia Blanca says:

I, for one, would love to see a retrospective of Holden’s Obsession with the Gaggle. Much missed.

13. Lex says:

Wasn’t one of the Kennedy siblings — Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, perhaps? — nicknamed Kick?

14. adrastos says:

Bingo, Lex. Glad to see rooting for Cam Newton hasn’t rotted your brain.