I’m Better Than Churchill

Hubris, thy name is Chimpy. Via Dan Froomkin:

Sidney Blumenthalwrites in Salon about the latest meeting of Bush’s book club, where the guest was “Andrew Roberts, an English conservative historian and columnist and the author of ‘The Churchillians’ and, most recently, ‘A History of the English-Speaking People Since 1900.”

“The subject of Winston Churchill inspired Bush’s self-reflection. The president confided to Roberts that he believes he has an advantage over Churchill, a reliable source with access to the conversation told me. He has faith in God, Bush explained, but Churchill, an agnostic, did not. Because he believes in God, it is easier for him to make decisions and stick to them than it was for Churchill. Bush said he doesn’t worry, or feel alone, or care if he is unpopular. He has God.”

11 thoughts on “I’m Better Than Churchill

1. Aaaargh says:

“he has God?”
    I think they meant to say “he is God.” At least in his own peanut brain.

um, gravitas, not gravee georgie.
    how’s that?
    it is hard. i wanna know how the hell we got here.

3. BrooklynGirl says:

I’m with MapleStreet on this one. There are simply no words.

I’m sorry. I can’t even imagine anything close to a suitable comment on this.

5. MFA says:

As I’ve said elswharz, the Churchill I know about wouldn’t be able to stand the smug, pusilanimous wretch that is our 43rd president (in sequence, forever, and in rank, for two more years). Ditto the other members of the current Publican presidential crop who are trying to exponentially expand their personas to bear Churchill’s mantle.
    Ain’t a-one of them, Dubya included, he couldn’t drink under the table before breakfast.

6. Nora says:

And let’s not forget that Churchill could speak and write the English language, eloquently. Bush isn’t on the same planet as far as that’s concerned.
    What’s with this God delusion? Does Bush think he’s the Messiah? Does he think his faith — if indeed that’s what it is — means that he is infallible? Even the Pope doesn’t believe he’s ALWAYS infallible. Bush thinks he’s less fallible than the Pope?
    Get me my copy of the Constitution. I don’t remember ever reading about the Presidential Infallibility. Must be down there with the war powers part.

7. Cali4nian says:

And I say Churchill had the advantage. He had a brain.

8. CybScryb says:

Holy moly…is it me or is Bush starting to look more and more like Lieberman every day?

9. ellroon says:

He never has figured out why God speaks like Cheney talking through a giftwrap paper tube, has he…?
    And OT but since I think someone here likes Battlestar Galatica, make your own BSG movies:
    Via http://www.boingboing.net/2007/03/08/roll_your_own_battle.html
    This

if ever someone needed to be smited, OLD SCHOOL.
    and he thinks he is God’s annointed one. ignoring the fact that Gore won, obviously he ISN’T God’s chosen one.
    never ever did i despise a male so much. not gonna call him a man because obviously he has never had to grow up.

11. hoppycalif says:

Here’s betting that within the next two years little Bush will begin to believe he is God. Or, have we arrived there already?