Gonzales Transcripts

I wish I’d saved the text of our chat, but here’s what was going on while we were making kitten noises and chimp jokes:

“To me, there has to be consequences to accepting responsibility. And I would just say, Mr. Attorney General, it’s my considered opinion that the exact same standards should be applied to you in how this was handled. And it was handled incompetently. The communication was atrocious. It was inconsistent. It’s generous to say that there were misstatements. That’s a generous statement. And I believe you ought to suffer the consequences that these others have suffered. And I believe that the best way to put this behind us is your resignation.” — Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla.

You know, if I sucked at my job as much as these guys suck at theirs, I’d be fired by now, and sometimes I think that’s what really pisses me off. That butchers, bakers, candlestick makers, National Guardsmen serving their second tour in Iraq, single moms working two jobs, they don’t get the breaks. They don’t get the license to just slack the hell off and make shit up to make their lives easier. Our government shouldn’t be something we look at with disgust. Our leaders should be better than that, and at some point, I don’t know which happened first, but two things happened: they stopped giving us what we deserved, and we stopped demanding it.

8 thoughts on “Gonzales Transcripts

1. hoppycalif says:

A. what happened is the administration was a disaster during its first 4 years, but we voted them back in for another 4 years. That will go down in our history as the most total failure of the concept of democracy ever recorded. We not only stopped demanding good government, we actually demanded bad government. So, we have it and we have only ourselves to blame.
    The fact that none of us voted for Bush isn’t relevant. We, the voters, are a team. We all share in the results of our efforts. If each of us had done our part better, donated more to Kerry, did a more effective job writing letters to the editor, or even did a more effective job getting a better candidate than Kerry, we would not have a bad government. Our jobs even extend to our news media’s disastrous non-performance of their jobs too. We could all have cancelled our subscriptions to our newspapers, we could have written letters to TV sponsors telling them we would no longer buy their products if they kept sponsoring propaganda instead of news. We could all have done so much more. But, we didn’t.

2. spocko says:

Excellent point. You know what else this is about?
    Aspirational politics.
    The same people who believe that the “death tax” will some how apply to them:
    “I’m going to have a 10 million dollar estate and I don’t want my kids not to get it.”
    “But Bob you don’t have any savings now and your house is worth 300,000 tops, well below the 5 million limit.”
    “Well, I could win the lottery!”
    They are the ones who WANT people who are incompentent to do ok. Why? Because THEY want to use the system. They want to be part of the old boys club. They might already be benefiting from it. And when they AREN’T benefiting from it, as in the case of Equal opportunity laws, they get pissed. Why? Because to them the laws are stacked against them and their mediocrity.

3. dontkillwhitey says:

This is what depresses me the most. In every other democracy on the planet, somebody who behaves this poorly feels the sting of the doorknob hitting them in the ass very quickly. Here they get a raise.

4. mrstrailerco says:

Well,yeah. And they’re arrogant pricks about it too.

5. montag says:

From the post and the comments, it appears that everybody thinks that Gonzo and others have failed. In the Bush world they have succeeded beyond George’s wildest imaginings. They are destroying the government from within and aiding and rewarding Republicans and their running dogs in their quest for permanent power. If the Bush administration were an episode of The Sopranos, it would be called a classic bust-out. They would be shown taking over a company, sucking out all the assets, running up bills and debts to the max only to declare bankruptcy and walk away, leaving a shell behind. And they would all get a piece of the action except the front man who would get whacked. In the real world, no one gets whacked anymore, they get a Medal of Freedom.

I am **NOT** a fan of the Great Gonzo. The way he has raped and pilaged the Constitution (not to mention making enforcement a political action) should be more than enough to disbar him.
    However, I’m suspicious about Sen Coburn’s statement you quoted. As I take it, Gonzo resigns and the problem is over and everything is nicey-nice. As a Republican, I’m sure Coburn would like Gonzo to disappear so he can pretend it never happened and he had nothing to do with it. (That is, we let Gonzo be the fall guy and the entire Republican Cabal be absolved of responsibiity for their actions).
    Instead, it is a much better political play to make sure that this is just one more building block to the case into the Whitehouse.

7. Andrew Byrne says:

Really Mme A, I expected better of you. That you describe the hardworking, oppressed people of New Orleans with a metaphor of mercury-rub-a-dubbed madmen is beyond the pale.
    =p

8. This is what annoys me the most. Gonzales goes before Congress, essentially says he knows nothing, sees nothing, hears nothing, DOES nothing! And his boss says: “Heckuva job, Abu!”
    Indeed, he did his job: he lied, obfuscated, prevaricated, weaseled, wheedled, and otherwise simply “didn’t recall,” and you can’t really hold a guy accountable who “doesn’t recall.” Except, of course, you can. Except, of course, it’s obvious to any functioning idiot (which clearly excludes Orrin Hatch and Arlen Specter) that Gonzales had once arrow in his quiver, one choice in answer to all questions: “I don’t recall.” And as Gonzales said, “I can’t testify about what I don’t remember.”
    And that’s supposed to be a GOOD thing.
    I’ll retire to Bedlam…