Something You Love Doing

Something my dad told me when I was very very small: Do something you love. I don’t care if it’s digging ditches, I just care that you love it. I must have been eight; this might have been the same conversation in which he told me never to get a joint checking account with a man because that man would clean it out and leave me with nothing. I paid no attention to the latter piece of advice but great heed to the former, and nothing gets me to my feet more than watching someone do what they were clearly born to do. Stretching above themselves, beyond what they thought they were capable of, busting their limits and going all the way crazy and singing up to God of the gloriousness of man with whatever voice they have.

So while suffering through the sappy, horrible coverage of the women’s national figure skating championships on ESPN today (shut up) I was reminded of watching, gobsmacked, as Sarah Hughes skated in the 2002 Olympics:

My favorite part of that broadcast was the way her coach, watching from the sidelines, just yelled out, “I love you!” because really, what else can you say, when someone you care about has just done that?

9 thoughts on “Something You Love Doing

ice skating TODAY??? it’s may! oh well. i had stuff to do.

2. virgotex says:

Oh,I remember watching that. Yes.

3. Robert Earle says:

I dont know if you ever saw (or even remember) the movie “Vision Quest”, but Matthew Modine is a high-school wrestler who has the biggest match of his life coming up,and while talking with this older man who is his co-worker at his part-time job at a hotel, he is amazed that the co-worker is going to take the day off work to come see him wrestle. Modine says something like ‘why miss a whole day’s pay? the whole thing will be over in six minutes?’
    And the co-worker responds:
    “I was in a room here one day, I’m watching a Mexican channel on TV. Now I don’t know nothin’ ’bout Pelé. I’m watchin’ what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps up in the air and flips into a somersault and, ah, kicks the ball in, upside down and backwards! … Pelé gets excited and rips off his jersey an’ starts running around the stadium waving it around over his head. Everybody’s screaming in Spanish. I’m here sitting alone in my room. I start cryin’. Yeah, that’s right, I start crying, ’cause another human being, of the species I happen to belong to, can kick a ball and lift himself and the rest of us sad-ass human beings up to a better place to be, if only for a minute. Let me tell ya, kid, it was pretty goddamn glorious. It ain’t the six minutes. It’s what happens in that siz minutes”

4. spocko says:

: Robert Earle | May 12, 2007 at 22:02
    Nice story. And I liked vision quest. I have down a few things in my life that were just a few minutes that were perfect. And then they were done and gone. I remember one time thinking. “Well that was perfect. Can I take the rest of my life off?”
    One time I had people laughing so hard they were crying and pounding the table. They were screaming, stop, stop you’re killing us! Bright red faces from laughing so hard. I actually had to stop because I was afraid they would have a heart attacks!
    Nice moment. Afterwards a professional performer who made his living in comedy came up to me and said. “That was some of the funniest stuff I’ve ever seen. If you could figure out how to do that on a regular basis you could be rich.”
    Too bad I couldn’t figure out how to do it on a regular basis.

5. Interrobang says:

Two questions: Did she win the gold medal?
    And why do they make female figure skaters (yes, make, I remember the flap about Katarina Witt’s “Robin Hood” costume) perform in those ridiculous little body-stocking minidresses?

6. Roscoe Domino says:

Athenae, you said it all. It is hard to watch and not get choked up. Such happiness!

7. CatStaff says:

Interrobang —
    I don’t know the answer to the costume question (although I certainly blame the patriarchy), but yes, she did win the gold medal: http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/sns-olympics-hughesmedal-jpg,0,5399787.photo

8. Sarah Hughes nothing! Where’s that one that looks like Natalie Portman? Rrrowwwrrr!!!

9. Interrobang says:

Thanks, CatStaff!
    Yeah, IBTP too. (We’re going to start sounding like some sort of schismatic Muslims or something, except instead of appending “PBUH” to everything, it’s going to be “IBTP.”) I was just wondering if there was a reason reason,or if it was just more of the same.