Wisconsin Winter Wish List

Bellows AFS, Oahu

Na Pali cliffs, Kauai

Madison, Wisconsin. Sigh.

You know, the last few years here haven’t been this bad. But, for some reason, having eight feet of snow by mid-February kind of depresses the hell out of me. It could be worse, I suppose. Enjoy the pretty pictures, gang.

13 thoughts on “Wisconsin Winter Wish List

1. Catherine D. says:

Oh, pshaw. A piddling amount of snow to those of us in western NY 🙂

Hi Jude,
    seeing this I have to start asking – I’ve been looking at travelling to Minnesotta for cross country skiing. Already found a state park with trails that rents the equipment.
    But seeing this, how close is good cross country skiing to NE Missouri?

3. virgotex says:

I never remotely had an interest in tropical vacations till after I’d had a couple of NYC winters under my belt…

4. Jude says:

Maple Street:
    I have absolutely no idea. I grew up in & around Biloxi, MS. I’ve lived in New England, New York, and Wisconsin, but it’s not my native area. So skiing is as foreign to me as cricket. I’ve been here four-and-a-half years, which isn’t long enough, apparently, to lose the part of my mind that tells me COLD = BAD.
    Sorry, but I got nothin’.

5. donna says:

Oh, go grab some skis and get out there! It’s FUN!!!!
    Oh, and it’s like, 61 here in San Diego. Brr.

6. scout says:

It’s just unrelenting.

tropics? nah. i just want a wood stove and a pile of wood.

8. Darth Ted says:

I long for Bellows, and the under $15/night two bedroom beach cabins. At least that was the going rate for E-5 and below back in the mid-80s.

9. Gozer says:

Used to live in New Orleans…now in DC…oh how I miss the 72 degree January days!
    36 degrees and drizzle (our weather last Thursday) is NOT FUN!

10. tdrbob says:

Husband grew up in norther Wis. Lived in Madison 71-77. Enjoy it for what it is. We had an ice storm and wind one year that took down about 60 miles of electric lines. We also had -65 the last winter we were there; I’ll take the snow, especially since here in Raleigh we are in a severe drought. Dave the weather guy was on CBS this morning out at
    the foot of Bascom Hill. It was a GREAT shot!

Thanks Jude,
    Like you, I’m from the deep southeast and have no idea what this talk of white stuff is.

12. slim says:

Jude,
    I’ll take snow over 34° and raining for 3 months straight any day…
    I grew up in FL and never dreamed of ever wanting a beach vacation, but now that I live in the Pac NW, this is all I can think about.

13. Aaaargh says:

I’ve been shoveling on the east side of Madison–four times in the last 24 hours, the worst being the mountain of ice the geniuses in the street department dumped on my mailbox. I’m about ready to break down and say fuck the environment and buy a snow blower. I can’t take this any more.