Get Yourself a Sweet Madonna

Paul Newman died yesterday. This sucks balls.

h/t Doc in comments. The clip is one of the best scenes in my favorite movie.

10 thoughts on “Get Yourself a Sweet Madonna

georgee killed him too.

2. leinie says:

Thanks, Jude.
    I don’t know that I can pick a favorite of his movies – loved Cool Hand Luke, loved Hud, loved Butch and Sundance, loved The Sting, loved Nobody’s Fool. He’s just a joy to watch.
    The other thing, though, is that he did a metric buttload of good in this world, and he didn’t do it for the accolades – didn’t want them, shied away from them. The inherent decency and goodness in that soul is something sorely lacking in George Bush’s America, and we are all poorer for his passing.

3. Athenae says:

This is the best line, from the Yahoo story:
    In December 1994, about a month before his 70th birthday, he told Newsweek magazine he had changed little with age.
    “I’m not mellower, I’m not less angry, I’m not less self-critical, I’m not less tenacious,” he said.

Hell yeah.
    And this is one of the best movies ever:

4. joejoejoe says:

Miss Beryl: Do you still bet on that horse race of yours?
    Sully: What, the trifecta?
    Miss Beryl: Yes. Has it ever come in?
    Sully: Not yet.
    Miss Beryl: But you still bet on it.
    Sully: Well, sure. I mean, the odds have gotta kick in sooner or later.
    Miss Beryl: Fine. That’s exactly the way I feel about you.

Paul Newman paid off in a big way. What a great, great man.

5. leinie says:

A, as I was thinking that I might watch one of his movies today, Nobody’s Fool was at the top of the list. That movie is one of my all time favs.

6. Auntie Meme says:

Hmmm…Cat on a Hot Tin Roof or Long Hot Summer.
    Damn. Black armbands all around. Definitely sucks.

7. Awww jeeeeze – NO!!! :*( What a force (w/o ‘forcefulness’ in the negative way) for good we have lost.
    That makes me sad. I shall toast his memory tonight.
    Peace,
    Elspeth

8. He’s Reggie Dunlop inSlapshot for me.

They’re too dumb to play with themselves. Boy, every piece of garbage that comes into the market and you gotta buy it!

How prescient he was of today’s republicans..

9. ecthompson says:

if you’re going to see only one movie of Paul Newman’s The Verdict. absolutely a fantastic movie. If you have time, he should see (in this order) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid, The Sting, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Cool Hand Luke and the Hustler.
    Great actor and humanitarian.

10. racymind says:

We has a bottle of the “Newman’s Own” Cabernet last night and toasted to Paul…