Teabagging for God & Country

800px-tea_bags copy

Interesting howsimilar therecaps are, right down tocrowd estimates, fear of socialism (European-style to the midwesterner, plain old liberal for the Gret Steter), etc. etc.

You know, part of me feels a little sorry for these folks–but only a little. They obviously don’t understand modern civil society. They feel like they’ve been cheated, and they have been, although their understanding of just who’s cheating them and how is about as close to zero as it gets. In fact, they stubbornly insist on believing in the very con artists — or neo-con artists — who lead them around like sheep. Which is why my pity for them is pretty limited.

If they were merely ignorant, that’d be one thing. But there’s a certain aggression to their ignorance, an element that seeks to bring society down to their level of stupid. And it makes us all worse off.

6 thoughts on “Teabagging for God & Country

1. Randy Owens says:

Over at Slacktivist, we’ve been trying to come up with a good word or phrase for that aggressive ignorance you describe, since last (Left Behind) Friday. There are some pretty good suggestions, many of them involving those German compound nouns. See first asterisk footnote, and various comments.
    T.F.: Enough with Chapter 1, already

2. virgotex says:

I was having this same conversation (with myself) in the car on way to work this a.m. However they got here, whoever’s fault it really is, whatever their own responsibility in that course of events, it really does suck to be them right now.
    They are being exploited (for a variety of things) all the way around (including by us). And no one, not Malkin, or Beck, or Fox, or Newt, or Rush, or even us, who is exploiting them, needs their problems to be fixed. They are of value to their exploiters only as long as they are angry, riled up, and unsuccessful. That is their value to the people who are paying attention to them.
    They are not helping themselves by this course of action. They are bound to become a whole lot more frustrated.
    And unlike us when we were in a somewhat parallel position (of being disenfranchised and frustrated), this crowd includes a lot of people who are passionate about weapons and violence.

3. Michael says:

Hey, thanks — Dummschwätzer is getting close, although I wonder if it captures the sense of danger that accompanies the dumb, at least down here. By danger, I mean the various weapons fetishes, the aggressive driving of large pickup trucks and/or SUVs, honor versus insult, blood feud, and so on that defines at least some people’s existence down here.
    Now, that said, it’s not the South is like this in its entirety. Plenty of people here in Baton Rouge seem to have at least an intuitive if not explicit grasp of civil society, and I feel reasonably safe walking downtown to the museums/bars/restaurants. But there are certainly some folks who live or maybe I should say fantasize about living at a level closer to the Hobbesian state of nature. My guess is that they’d change their tune pretty quickly once they realized there was no more gasoline to run their pickups and/or SUVs. But looking long term isn’t exactly their strong suit, and I worry that the recent ramping up of the rhetoric could make for an ugly scene or two…

Your last paragraph / last 3 sentences is a great critique.

stupid hate. bad combo.
    these idjits are just following radio/fux teevee, with no understanding of the terms. of course fux teevee is just as stupid.
    we didn’t get this anti-georgee toil he proved he sucked, tho we always knew he would.

6. Allison Fruge says:

I stumbled on this site after typing in “God and Country”…because I sincerely wanted to read something positive in the news about this Nation”s desire to place God first. I obviously found a site where I am considered illiterate, dangerous, and unaccepting of those whose views differ from my own. As a Christian woman in Louisiana, formerly of a small town in Texas, I am the epitome of which you speak. I have been given an opportunity by finding this site to perhaps in a small way, explain My faith and the reasons I think the way I do. I believe I represent many other like minded individuals. I am not close minded or judgemental. I am not a simple minded idiot. I do believe Gods word to be true. Not because I am brainwashed by the right wing media, but because I have read every word of the Bible and studied God’s word since I ws a child. The Bible is a living testament to how I am supposed to live my own life. I do not believe in abortion, Because the Bible clearly makes reference to a law in the old testament about the penalty to a person who causes harm or death to an unborn child. I do not believe in Gay marriage or same sex relationships, because the Bible refers to destroying the city of Soddom because the men in the city wanted to lay with a man visiting Lot’s home. I also believe in many other Biblical teachings that are not popular today. {as with Miss California} …Having said that, I do not judge you, or hold your life style against you if you believe differently from me. But I DO have the right to an opinion, I do have a right to protest if I choose, or cast my vote for people who I believe share my personal convictions. I did not Vote for Obama because of his stance on Abortion. You would have me believe, based on my vote that I am a racist degenerate, KU Klux Klan, gun toting, gay bashing extremist. You accuse ME of being ignorant?? I wanted to write so you all could see that we can agree to disagree. We live in a free country, you can vote and protest and rally for the things you believe in. I believe in God and I am grateful to live in America which WAS founded upon the belief that we are one Nation Under God. I have researched this thoroughly and know it to be true. I think most of you who ascribe to this attitude that I am ignorant need only look back a generation to your parents and grandparents to realize I am not so different from you.