Why we fight, reason #96,147

Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-Homophobistan), on the House floor earlier today:

UPDATED: The Matthew Shepherd Bill, Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act (H. R. 1913), was passed in the House of Representative this afternoon (despite the actions of people like Rep. Foxx) 249 to 175. If approved by the Senate, the bill will add sexual orientation, gender identity, gender and disability to the categories included in existing federal hate crimes law and would allow local governments who are unable or unwilling to address hate crimes to receive assistance from the federal government.

The Senate version of the bill is S.909, sponsored by Sen. Edward Kennedy. Rep. John Conyers sponsored the House bill.

8 thoughts on “Why we fight, reason #96,147

1. BuggyQ says:

Holy… Jeebus, I wonder if Virginia Foxx were pistol whipped and left to die slowly over 18 hours if she might revise her definition of “committing a robbery.” I wonder how she’d describethis.
    I can’t tell you how angry that makes me. Matthew Shepard died all of an hour away from where I live. Believe me, we know every detail of that horrible story.
    Thank god the rest of the House isn’t so…oh, fuck me, there just aren’t words.

2. Athenae says:

Is this what the Family Research Council was wittering on about with their “homosexual thought crimes” bullshit earlier this week? Assholes.

3. virgotex says:

It’s one thing to disagree in principle with the need for hate crimes legislation, you know? It’s quite another to say-in spite of the freaking police report-that something was “a hoax.” The only way these people gain is because of “low-information” voters- people who believe anything anyone says on television.

were these Fux gnews ‘facts’

5. I hope her family puts her into a shitty nursing home and NEVER comes to visit her.
    Elspeth

6. Marybyrge@mac.com says:

With all due respect, I believe there has been a mistake as to the district Ms. Foxx represents. She is actually R-Hell, not R-Homophobistan. But an understandable mistake, given the pattern and frequency of gerrymandering that southern republicans so love, and the fact that Hell and Homophobistan are next-door-neighbors.

From Winston-Salem NC (the town that liked cigarettes so much that the name has a name composed of two brands).
    And remember, we don’t believe that smoking is harmful to your health either.

i’d say the stoopid section of homophobistan.