Jim Clyburn On Rebuking Joe Wilson

I started off as one of those wanting to move on after the entertainment value of Confederate Joe Wilson’s outburst ended. But his colleague from South Carolina, House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn, is advancing a theory that’s not unlike putting a dog’s nose in its mess as a proper punishment:

Clyburn also said that cracking down on Wilson is a matter surviving in
the cut-throat politics of South Carolina. “In South Carolina politics,
I learned that the olive branch works very seldom,” said Clyburn. “You
have to come at these things from a position of strength. My father
used to say, ‘Son, always remember that silence gives consent.'”

Wilson is, of course, not going to learn from his mistake (he probably loves the smell of dog shit) but Clyburn’s argument resonates with me since I live in a blue pocket of the red state of Louisiana. Besides, if a House Democrat had called President Beavis a liar, the Goopers would have wanted him boiled alive, shelled and drowned in Tabasco sauce. Uh oh, I must be hungry, sounds like a crawfish boil to me…

My conclusion: Clyburn may be right in wanting to serve up a little redneck on the half shell. It won’t taste very good but watching a wingnut squirm is *always* entertaining.

9 thoughts on “Jim Clyburn On Rebuking Joe Wilson

1. greg peters says:

“Besides, if a House Democrat had called President Beavis a liar, the Goopers would have wanted him boiled alive, shelled and drowned in Tabasco sauce.”
    Pete Stark.

there are rules of decorum. this was not the time to show your ignorance. let’s hope his punishment is defeat.

oh, and IOKIYAR can’t work all the time.

4. Michael says:

Agreed re: wingnut redneck on the half shell…yes, it’s unpleasant business, but that’s politics. The Democrats are perpetually bringing aknife debate briefing book to a gun fight…

5. Adrastos says:

Thanks for the memory jog, Greg.
    And Michael that’s why I supported Clyburn’s effort: it was the most that could be done and I’m pleased he pushed to do the right thing.

6. jeffrey says:

I, for one, approve of Reps Kucinich and Frank who voted NO and PRESENT respectively on the question of the farcical Kangaroo court bullcrap. Adults would have let this shit die the night it happened. But Democrats are far too busy not being adults, and not passing a decent healthcare bill to get that right.

7. jeffrey says:

Adding. Wilson wanted to provoke a snooty overreaction and he pretty much got what he wanted. Way to go, guys.

8. Adrastos says:

Let me get this straight, Jeffrey. Aren’t you constantly ragging on what you call the “douchey dems” to stop being doormats for GOP bully tactics? That’s what happened today. It was a point of etiquette but Jim Clyburn is also a very strong advocate of health care reform. The House has already passed a bill. They’re waiting on the Senate.
    Wilson is a bully. I don’t know about you but when a bully pushes me, I push back.
    I love scrapping with my friends. This is why I nicknamed Jeffrey, Mr Gloomy Pants.

9. jeffrey says:

Fine but in this case you’re “pushing” in favor of “decorum” over substance. They’re “pushing” for the sake of their own authority, not for the sake of any relevant point. It stinks. Frankly, I would prefer a legislature that heckles the President from time to time. Or at least would be hesitant to applaud any measure which penalizes dissent in this way.