Well, There’ll Be No Living With Him Now

Clearly this is a sign of Obama’s overexposure:

OSLO –President Barack Obama won the 2009Nobel Peace Prize on Friday in a stunning decision designed to encourage his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with theMuslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism.

Nobel
observers were shocked by the unexpected choice so early in the Obama
presidency, which began less than two weeks before the Feb. 1
nomination deadline.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Obama woke up to the news a little before 6 a.m. EDT.The White House had no immediate comment on the announcement, which took the administration by surprise.

I am attempting to imagine the conversation in the West Wing this morning.

14 thoughts on “Well, There’ll Be No Living With Him Now

1. chicago dyke says:

BHO: hey baby, come give some sugar to your nobel laureate president husband! /holds out arms with smug look on face/
    MO: well, don’t go thinking you can leave your underwear on the floor and the toilet seat up just because of it. /crosses attractively muscled arms and makes That Face/
    😉

2. leinie says:

Oh this ought to make Tommy T’s excursions into Freeperville VERY interesting!

Forget the conversation in the West Wing, think of the wingnut radio comments. They are gonna explode !

4. Sandman says:

Oh, the wingnuts will be shitting flying monkeys all weekend–peace is right-wing kryptonite.

more proof obama IS a SOCIALIST!?!11!!!
    i hope georgee felt that wedgie.

6. joejoejoe says:

I can haz crack van for da no bells speach?

7. mothra says:

I personally heard Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck’s heads explode this morning.
    But…as much fun as this is, I wonder if it isn’t too premature. I mean, let’s think about it: the Obama administration is perfectly happy to let torturers and their enablers go free, while at the same time being happy to keep detainees locked up forever without trial because someone, somewhere decided they were “too dangerous”–even though they don’t have the evidence to PROVE they are too dangerous. Plus, he gets the award on a day in which he is going to have meetings to discuss how he will continue the war in Afghanistan, considering using drones to bomb villages. That’s not very peaceful.

8. wolfetone says:

Mothra is exactly correct, it is definitely very premature. As much as I am happy to see the wingers go further off the deep end in sputtering rage, Obama hasn’t done much at all to advance peace. Now, if he had already closed Guantanamo and started to pull our troops out of Iraq–with a concomitant promise of a Marshall Plan-type reconstruction effort to undo the damage we did not just over the two wars we’ve waged on that nation, but also for propping up Saddam and playing both sides in the Iran-Iraq War–then I’d say the award could be warranted.
    This, eh it feels like another ‘Fuck You!’ to faux-flyboy GWB.

9. Aaaargh says:

That’s a pretty good award for someone who’s about to escalate a war into a Vietnam-style cesspool.

10. frazer says:

Athenae’s title is the best comment I’ve heard on this so far. Good thing I wasn’t drinking coffee when I read it.

11. The Dol says:

I suspect there was a big, “Oh, shit,” this morning in the West Wing. I very much doubt that they welcome this. It’s more heaping-on of praise from the rest of the world, which loves Obama, and we all know how much the American media and the right wing love to hate the rest of the world.
    I agree with wolfetone, this is a fuck you to dubya. And, I think also there is an element of you-promised-so-don’t-let-us-down in Obama’s direction.
    And I thought his remarks this morning hit the perfect tone.

bobo was extra dickee today on NPR. he should decline it?

13. BuggyQ says:

What I don’t get is all the derision being heaped on Obama on the *left* for this. I’m not complaining about wolfetone or mothra–your comments here are perfectly reasonable. Obama most certainly hasn’t earned it yet. But in the absence of the Nobel award, would people like David Sirota be going all nuclear on his record so far? It’s nine months into his time in office! Sirota’s radio show yesterday was obnoxious.
    Look, I think this is a fuck you to Dubya, but it’s also a “Here’s the bar, Mr. Obama. You’d better clear it.” What’s wrong with that?

14. Tommy T says:

“Oh this ought to make Tommy T’s excursions into Freeperville VERY interesting!”
    leinie
    Oh, believe me, people – it’s preempted tomorrow’s post completely.
    There’s some interesting and hilarious and sad reactions, to be sure.
    Tommy