Why Can’t I Be a Racist Fuckwad? Why, Mommy?

Poor, pitiful dude:

TAOS, N.M. – Larry Whitten marched into thisnorthern New Mexico town in late July on a mission: resurrect a failing hotel.

The
tough-talking former Marine immediately laid down some new rules. Among
them, he forbade the Hispanic workers at the run-down, Southwestern
adobe-style hotel from speaking Spanish in his presence (he thought
they’d be talking about him), and ordered some to Anglicize their names.

No more Martin (Mahr-TEEN). It was plain-old Martin. No more Marcos. Now it would be Mark.

Whitten’s
management style had worked for him as he’s turned around other
distressed hotels he bought in recent years across the country.

The 63-year-old Texan, however, wasn’t prepared for what followed.

Yes. It never occurred to Captain Asshole here that people would take offense at his attempts to improve them.

Also? Afraid they’d be talking about him? Narcissist, please. If you’re that concerned about it, learn Spanish. And Polish. And Arabic. You’ll discover that all those filthy immigrants you’re so sure are all up in your business are just talking about their own boring old lives, and then you’ll be able to relax and go back to building an entire house out of tinfoil to keep the alien spies at bay.

“I came into this landmine ofAnglos versus Spanish versus Mexicans versus Indians versus everybody up here. I’m just doing what I’ve always done,” he says.

[snip]

The Virginia-born Whitten had spent 40 years in the hotel business, turning around more than 20 hotels in Texas, Oklahoma, Florida andSouth Carolina, before moving with his wife to Taos fromAbilene, Texas. He had visited Taos before, and liked its beauty. When Whitten saw that the Paragon Inn was up for sale, he jumped at it.

“Being a jackass has worked for me so many times! How dare this place not be a backwards-ass haven for dickheads where I can get away with doing whatever I want just like before?” I seriously do not understand the “nobody ever objected before” defense. Just because someone else wasn’t offended doesn’t mean what you’re doing is inoffensive.

After he arrived, Whitten met with the employees. He says he immediately noticed that they were hostile to hismanagement style and worried they might start talking about him in Spanish.

“Because
of that, I asked the people in my presence to speak only English
because I do not understand Spanish,” Whitten says. “I’ve been working
24 years inTexas and we have a lot ofSpanish people there. I’ve never had to ask anyone to speak only English in front of me because I’ve never had a reason to.”

Some
employees were fired, Whitten says, because they were hostile and
insubordinate. He says they called him “a white (N-word).”

You’ve worked in the hotel business in Texas for 24 years and you never picked up enough Spanish to figure out if your employees are calling you a creep? Wow. Either you have a bigger tin ear for languages than I do, which is hard, or you’re just a lazy, entitled prat who pushes around people who work for you just because you can.

The entire tone of this story is “poor, poor confused racist dude.” Which, ain’t nobody with enough cash to buy a hotel on a whim gets a pass from me for beating down the people who work for a fraction of that amount every year just because he doesn’t like how they pronounce their names.

Then Whitten told some employees he was changing their Spanish first
names. Whitten says it’s a routine practice at his hotels to change
first names of employees who work the front desk phones or deal
directly with guests if their names are difficult to understand or
pronounce.

“It has nothing to do with racism.
I’m not doing it for any reason other than for the satisfaction of my
guests, because people calling from all over America don’t know theSpanish accents or the Spanish culture or Spanish anything,” Whitten says.

Um. They’re calling a hotel infreaking New Mexico. I think they’ll get over it. Plus, we have television and the Internet now. Even if you live in the north woods of Bufu, Wisconsin, you still learn that people in other places talk kinda funny. Jesus tits.

Taos Mayor Darren Cordova says Whitten wasn’t doing anything illegal.
But he says Whitten failed to better familiarize himself with the town
and its culture before deciding to buy the hotel for $2 million. “Taos
is so unique that you would not do anything in Taos that you would do
elsewhere,” he says.

HEY GUESS WHAT THIS ISN’T OKAY ANYWHERE.

Via Trademark Dave at Eschaton.

15 thoughts on “Why Can’t I Be a Racist Fuckwad? Why, Mommy?

1. montag says:

Texans mostly come to New Mexico to fuck it up.
    New Mexicans have a word for guys like Whitten:pendejo.

2. Sue says:

Hey dere, ya makin’ funa Wisconsinites? No one’s gonna buy ya a Jagermeister when ya snowmobile up to a northwoods bar with that attitude, Missy.

3. An irony here is that the families of some of his New Mexican employees have likely been in this “country” for a lot longer than Whitten’s.
    Pendejo, indeed.

4. virgotex says:

“I’ve been working 24 years in Texas and we have a lot of Spanish people there.”
    it may be that in 24 years he actually did meet some Spanish people. There aren’t a LOT of them in Texas. There are, however, a lot of Mexicans. There’s a difference. Not noticing that is only part of what’s wrong with this dickface.
    pendejo indeed

5. Mexicans and South Americans – not exactly the same by any stretch as actual Spaniards. Damn, can I go wallop this jackass upside the head????

6. mothra says:

Yeah, being from NM, I read this story (oddly, just a tiny sidebar story in the local rag) and wondered WTF this idiot was thinking by coming into Taos–TAOS–and asking people to CHANGE THEIR NAMES. Did the dude not do any sort of research on Taos? Did he not realize that rich white folk looking to invest were run out of town not that long ago? Did he not notice that the name of the state was New MEXICO? Did he not notice the many, many place names/street names, well EVERYTHING named in Spanish? But then I noticed the guy was from Abilene, TX, and that explained everything.
    It’s just so hilarious/sad that he would try this in Taos. Of all places in NM. Pinche pendejo.

7. mothra says:

Wait a minute…this dude didn’t stop at insulting the Hispanics in town. From the story:
    The messages and comments he made in interviews with local media, including referring to townsfolk as “mountain people” and “potheads who escaped society,” further enflamed tensions.
    Yeah. So you insult EVERYONE in town and you wonder why your business is going down the toilet? He’s not just a racist, he’s plenty stupid.

8. adrastos says:

What a great/swful story that is. People, of course, go to Taos for the cultural mix. What a maroon, what a malaka.

I’ll never understand why us Americans can’t learn to pronounce simple words.
    What phonic appears in “Mahr-TEEN” or Sota-ma-YOR that is so dreadfully difficult for Americans to pronounce? (possibly putting the “h” in Martin takes a little thought, but simply saying Mar-TEEN would communicate a world of respect).

Oh, when I visit New Mexico, should I reciprocate and call it “Toss”?

boy, i bet he wishes he coulda had a plantation.

12. CrispyShot says:

What bugged me about that article was the whole, “See how this guy upset all these lefty wackaloons? He didn’t know what he was getting into!” vibe, when, as A pointed out, IT’S NOT OK ANYWHERE! I kept looking back at the AP byline to see if was Politico or Fox.

13. Donovan says:

Hey, up here in Bufu, WI we talk funny too!
    Unfortunately, this article will only incense the folks who are trying to get “reclaim their country” and be largely ignored by the people who need to keep examining their latent racism. (myself included.)

14. paul says:

If you take a look at the original story, there’s a lot that we (apparently) only have the jerkwad’s word for. Did he actually buy the hotel for $2M, or was that just the asking price? How much of the money was his, and how much some investors or a bank?
    If he specialized in turning around troubled hotels, as he claims, and has done this more than a dozen times before, that’s a pretty short tenure at any given hotel. It might not be that hard to terrorize a staff into temporary spit and polish, slap on a new coat of paint, and then leave the personnel mess for the next manager or buyer to clean up…

15. The Other Sarah says:

Here’s your trouble, right here:
    The Virginia-born Whitten had spent 40 years in the hotel business, turning around more than 20 hotels in Texas, Oklahoma, Florida and South Carolina, before moving with his wife to Taos from Abilene, Texas. He had visited Taos before, and liked its beauty.
    But of course, sonofabitch, he’s automatically a “Texan’ ’cause he worked here. Like w.
    Doesn’t matter that he’s a first-water jackhole just naturally. No, AP’s just gotta drag the Lone Star State into it.