Dear Congresscritter Markey,
Enjoy the salutation, because that’s as civil as this letter is likely to get.
Nice work there on the health care reform vote. You must be proud to be the only member of the Colorado Democrats in Congress who voted no.
Let me tell you what you’ve won with that vote:
1) A demoralized base wondering if you’re worth voting for, let alone walking the pavement for like many did in the last election. I was one of them–three Saturdays in a row before the election, walking door to door, despite my decrepit knees. Yes, I was mainly doing it for Obama, but I was doing it for all the Democratic candidates. People like me won you that election. And we can lose it for you, too.
2) The votes of probably ten independent voters who might have been swung by this vote. The others probably would have voted for you over the Republican or the Republican over you no matter what.
3) A Democratic leadership who will remember this vote the next time you have something you need for Colorado. Thanks a lot, Betsy. You gave us two fuckings for the price of one.
4) If I have anything to say about it, you’ve won a primary challenge that will make your ears bleed. It’s just not enough for you to be better than Marilyn Musgrave. (Hell, that’s like being better than getting shot with a nail gun, or better than living on Venus, or better than…oh, hell, fill in your own blank: ______________________________________________________________________________)
5) A lifetime supply of Rice-A-Roni, though you’ll have to talk to Nancy Pelosi to get it.
Remember this: you cannot win this district without the enthusiastic support of the Democrats living here. When Karl Rove is telling Democrats they need to run to the middle, you know that’s political suicide. You blew this one, Betsy. All you can do now is hope that you get a shot at redemption so you don’t end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
Let me make one thing perfectly clear: Americans want health care reform. They want a public option. They want this, and if you give it to them, they’ll reward you. If you stand in the way, they will punish you.It’s that fucking simple.
A concerned constituent, a.k.a. BuggyQ