And the Week Tips Over Into TREMENDOUS SUCK

Dodd stepping aside:

Embattled Connecticut Sen.Chris Dodd (D) has
scheduled a press conference at his home in Connecticut Wednesday at
which he is expected to announce he will not seek re-election,
according to sources familiar with his plans.

Dodd’s retirement comes after months of speculation about his
political future, and amid faltering polling numbers and a growing
sense among the Democratic establishment that he could not win a sixth
term. It also comes less than 24 hours after Sen.Byron Dorgan(D-N.D.) announced he would not seek re-election.

State Attorney GeneralRichard Blumenthal is widely
expected to step into the void filled by Dodd and, at least at first
blush, should drastically increase Democrats’ chances of holding the
seat.

9 thoughts on “And the Week Tips Over Into TREMENDOUS SUCK

1. Adrastos says:

Bummer, man. Dorgan is also one of the good guys and it will be very hard to hold that seat.

2. Catherine F. says:

Well, fuck. Good for Dodd for taking one for the team, but I am going to miss him. I love the Dodd.

3. virgotex says:

I thought of you when I heard the news, him being on the Boyfriends of Athenae list. I think he was also taken down by the AIG bonus loophole.

4. leinie says:

WTF? I walk away from the tubes for a couple of hours, come back and Dorgan and The Dodd have both said enough?
    My love for The Dodd is known. His financial ties and issues aside, I do think that he was one of the good guys.
    Dorgan going, that just sucks. I gotta wonder how much the screwing he got over the drug reimportation, and the elevation of the dick-corporatist-fiscal-scold Conrad had to do with this. I haven’t paid much attention to ND politics since I left, but Dorgan going just makes me sad cuz I’ve always like him, and got to vote for him the first time I could vote.

5. gyma says:

And Colorado Governor, Bill Ritter, has decided not to run for re-election either. Not that he had much chance of getting re-elected, but still…

6. joejoejoe says:

Dodd will get a good job in the Obama administration and won’t have to deal with the assholes in the Senate anymore. Connecticut AG Richard Blumenthal will hold the seat for Dems. The only downside is Joe Lieberman is now the senior Senator from Connecticut, which makes Connecticut look like a den of weasels.
    Dodd’s got a young family and he’s probably doing the right thing all around, for himself, his family, his career and then way down on the list…the party. Good for him!

7. Aaaargh says:

When the GOP gets 51 votes in the Senate the very first thing they will do is eliminate the filibuster and holds.

fresh democrats needed.

9. Harris says:

Coming from CA, and San Francisco at that, it’s just good to know some of you other states have the same or worse BS going on and taking our focus from the much less important news.