‘Progress-resistant cultural influences’

David Brooks, ladies and gentlemen:

As Lawrence E. Harrison explained in his book “The Central Liberal
Truth,” Haiti, like most of the world’s poorest nations, suffers from a
complex web of progress-resistant cultural influences. There is the
influence of the voodoo religion, which spreads the message that life
is capricious and planning futile. There are high levels of social
mistrust. Responsibility is often not internalized. Child-rearing
practices often involve neglect in the early years and harsh
retribution when kids hit 9 or 10.

We’re all supposed to politely respect each other’s cultures. But some
cultures are more progress-resistant than others, and a horrible
tragedy was just exacerbated by one of them.

Taibbi pretty much does his thing to that passage above, but can I just ask … WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? “Responsibility is often not internalized?” WHAT THE FUCK? I’M SORRY I’M SHOUTING AND SAYING FUCK SO MUCH MOM BUT WHAT THE … I CAN’T … GIMME A MINUTE HERE … FUCK.

12 thoughts on “‘Progress-resistant cultural influences’

typical colonist bullshit. stupid tory speak.

2. hoppy says:

Well, I prefer my responsibility drenched in melted butter, with a small French roll on the side, and a glass of Australian chardonnay. With that I have no problem internalizing it.

3. Jude says:

Sweet fucking mother of mercy.
    It’s a good goddamn thing that the Japanese aren’t progress-resistant, innit?
    One of these days, Tokyo is going to be shaken to rubble. I don’t cheer for that event, but it’s absolutely going to happen one day. Ditto Los Angeles and/or San Francisco.
    What will this fucknugget say then? Will he blame it on Shinto? Liberal Hollywood? Teh Gheis?
    I mean, fuck me. I don’t know if you’ve noticed this or not, but since you can’t predict things like, oh, earthquakes, that goes a long way toward showing thatlife is fucking capricious, you tool.
    God damn, I’d like to believe that assholes like Brooks eventually get what’s coming to them. But, uh, they don’t.
    Fuck.

4. The Other Sarah says:

Why does anybody pay David Brooks money?
    He wears lipstick on the frackin’ RADIO!!!!

5. Maitri says:

By that logic, progress-resistant cultural influences cause Tea Parties and gigantic systemic security failures such as 9/11 and the almost-Christmas-day-crotchbomb. But, we are a mostly rich, white society so any cultural devolution on our part is a mere exertion of Christian democracy, or some such nonsense.

6. escariot says:

What a sorry excuse for a human being. Let’s get the attention of the, what, two and half million people sitting under tarps in the open in Port-au-Prince and start lecturing them on how THEY BROUGHT THIS ON THEMSELVES.
    Fuck you David Brooks.
    This man is repugnant.

7. darrelplant says:

The CIA fails to connect the dots again!They think80% of the Haitians are Catholics!
    Of course, to a lot of Protestants, that’s pretty much synonymous with “devil-worshiper.”

8. Voodoo, as opposed to, say, xianity, spreads the message that life is capricious and planning futile? Can Americans PLEASE stop pushing this bullshit that their religion is superior? Brooks, the guy w the suicided son, just stop.

9. Spocko says:

“David, is it because they are black?”
    “I never said that, but if you look at the content of their character it’s because they are black.”
    Brooks son killed himself? Who was responsible?

10. Interrobang says:

What’s even worse is he basically says that Haiti needs another dictator, a Christian heroin warlord most friendly to the west who’ll reform their society and turn it into some kind of workaholic dystopia like Singapore, where you’re well-behaved and industrious…or else.

11. darrelplant says:

I see that the head of the voodoo cult — the archbishop of Haiti — was killed by the collapse of his residence.

12. mothra says:

Ahhhh…the “untrainable savages” excuse for why Haiti will always be a piece of shit place and no one should really care. Good on ya, Mr. Brooks!