We Can’t Go On Like This

One political custom the Brits have maintained is the use of posters. Our pols spend everything on teevee but the poster is king in the U.K for a variety of reasons too dull to go into.

Of course, the photos I’m posting fromthe Guardian involve satirical defacing of Tory Party posters two of which feature the post title:

A-vandalised-billboard-po-003
A-Conservative-party-post-004

Finally, my favorite bit of defacing:

Grafitti-spray-painted-on-001

10 thoughts on “We Can’t Go On Like This

1. karen marie says:

What’s the reaction to the graffiti?
    I think we all know what it would be here.
    We would have Republicans shrieking as though they had been mortally insulted by defacement of their posters, and shrieking even louder when accused of defacing opponents’ posters, while simultaneously accusing Democrats of defacing not just Republican posters but their own in order to make Republicans look bad.
    Yeah, I’ve seen the American version of this movie. What’s the British version like?

2. Adrastos says:

Much lower key. There’s been very little discussion of it in the left of center press and the right wing tabs are too busy beating up on Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems to spend much time on graffitti.

3. liprap says:

Hee! Love the Elvis one. And if this were in New Orleans, the Gray Ghost might have done a job on them already, which would be truly nasty graffiti.

4. Athenae says:

You know, I really do think the British win at insults.

5. PurpleGirl says:

I like the comment written over the third poster. It’s brilliant, as the English say.

6. Adrastos says:

Yeah, you rite, Athenae. It’s a cultural thing. It’s why I get along with the Brits so well. I guess raging Anglophilia helps as well.

LOLs have their place.

My first reaction to the story was that billboards can’t provide much more than a tagline. They can’t provide in-depth or nuanced information.
    But then, how much nuanced analysis does the USA political system provide? And at many, many, many more times the price of the British system. But can you imagine the heads exploding on both sides of the aisle
    if Obama pushed for public funding of elections?
    And like many above, I love the British style of a subtle, comic insult. So much better than the American Cheney style of go F yourself.

better when in gospel form.

10. TheOtherWA says:

It was so kind of them to put the billboards low enough for easy access. It makes the alterations easier to do.