FD Military, Represent!

Because I know some of you are vets, despite this being a liberal commie God-hating anti-American blog, and because I was too jacked about the pelicans to do a weekend question thread …

Did you serve? Tell us!

12 thoughts on “FD Military, Represent!

1. jimintampa says:

Viet Nam era – Army in Yurp. Dad was career AF, WWII vet, I went Army after ROTC, then reserves. I’ve become a military historian, I hope in the mold of Steve Gilliard, because it’s just sadness and folly. We once weren’t a militarized nation, but when you have a military, people use it for personal gain. Napoleon once said “you can do anthing with a bayonet except sit on it,” meaning that armies will be employed, and always for the worse. Smedley Butler, the most decorated Marine (two count ’em two Medals of Honor), and who was approached by the Republicans about leading a military coup against FDR, wrote a piece on that called “war is a racket,” which I recommend to everyone.
    So I’m sad every Memorial Day for the ones that sacrificed for a good cause in the Civil War and WWII, and even more for the misled that died for private aggrandizement, pride and profit.

2. Jude says:

Yep.
    Six years, submarines. The only kind of ship that isn’t a target.

3. Michael says:

I did not, my father did, he was a career officer (Lieutenant Commander) in the US Navy from 1954 to 1976.
    He was a carrier based aviator (USS Shangri La and Saratoga), I remember him flying E-1s and C-2s, and that the respective squadrons were VAW-121 and VRC-40.
    I also remember that as a kid I sure did have fun playing with his gear, i.e., flight helmets, dress uniform hat, penlights, and so on. Probably drove him half crazy, particularly having to clean grubby fingerprints off the hat brim…

4. Fixer says:

8 years USAF, but this ain’t about me, I’m still alive. It’s about those who lie under a white marble headstone.

5. liprap says:

Not me, nor my parents, but both my maternal and paternal grandfathers served – one as an airplane mechanic and the other as a B-17 bomber pilot training other pilots out in Alamogordo. He slept through the Trinity atomic test. But he did survive having to bail out of his plane over the desert and has a Caterpillar Club card to show for it – ’twas back when no one had yet learned to pack a chute specifically for someone’s size. He’s not a big man, so he landed safely even though his plane didn’t.
    Here’s to all of those who unintentionally tested that out and didn’t make it – and for all those who have passed on having given their lives in service to our country.

6. Linkmeister says:

’72-’74, USNR active duty, NCSJ, Yokusuka, Japan.

7. iceblue says:

USAF 21 yrs, Intelligence Analyst and Training Instructor. Served in Saudi during Southern Watch (92) but am thankful I retired before GWB decided to show what a big man he was by invading Iraq. Know many who have passed on but none from actual war. Still, Memorial Day ceremonies always make me sad…and thankful.

8. CZHA says:

My father and stepfather both served in WWII. One grandfather was a pacifist, sat out WWI.
    I tried to register for the draft when I turned 18 in 1968, but the Norman, OK draft board rejected me for being female (it was my bright, immature idea to bring down the Selective Service System by clogging it with paperwork).
    I have a son who is career Army, 1st Infantry Division, and a moderate lefty. The longer these wars continue, the more convinced he is of the complete disaster of war.
    Thanks to all who served, whether by choice or demand, and to all who work to make a world in which such service is less necessary.

9. BlackSheep1 says:

Air Force, long time ago. Had cousins in Germany, at Hood and Bliss and Khe Sanh and places like that. Got some uncles under those white headstones too.

10. joel hanes says:

One of the last draftees, conscripted late 1972.
    US Army Field Artillery, 1973-1975
    Furth (just outside Nurnburg) Germany
    Radio mechanic in an 8-inch howitzer unit.
    Proud of it.

11. left rev. says:

US Army National Guard 89-96
    Big whoop.
    I don’t think of myself as a veteran, but I served with plenty of veterans in my ANG unit. There’s a big honking difference between what I did and what they did.
    *lifts glass to those who served*

12. Andy Gossett says:

USMC 82-85
    I was not a patriot, just wanted to stay out of jail. The Corps did give me more than I gave back, which I try to correct now by keeping those who serve from being used by political chicken hawks. I wish I was more effective, but I don’t stop trying. I second fixer, this is for those that didn’t make it back so we could.