Peace Sucks a Hairy Asshole

So there’s going to be a lot of ink expended over the next couple of weeks trying to figure out how this happened, as if it’s a goddamn mystery. This economy blows goats, and instead of being out there every day yelling HEY WE TRIED TO FIX IT THOSE FUCKERS WOULDN’T LET US ALSO BUSH BAILED OUT THE BANKS NOT US, Democrats pretty much figured the midterms were gonna be a bloodbath and hunkered down and hoped it wouldn’t hit them too hard. Because that works. That always works.

Here’s the problem, you gutless fucks. You had majorities. And I KNOW, okay, but all America sees is that you had majorities and you wasted them. Because that’s what the GOP told them, and you said, “buh buh buh” and couldn’t point to anything you did right, not even with the unwashed hippies holding your arm up for you. You had majorities, and you had Harry Reid, refusing to be mean to Republicans by shoving stuff through. You had majorities, and you had Barack Obama acting like he was already an ex-president and could be gracious and social with these pricks. You had majorities, used them to do some stuff, and then sat back and acted like we should be grateful when we can fucking count.

We can fucking count, out here. We know what 51 means. We know what 257 means. We’re not morons. And all the procedural whatsit you argue today, about ConservaDems and Blue Dogs, doesn’t mean shit. You had it, and we worked hard to give it to you, and we see you calling things impossible which are just very hard, and we get fucking annoyed, because we don’t get to get away with that shit. Not at our jobs and not in our lives.

Now, I’m not excusing the Party of I Hate You or these teabagging excuses for human beings who think education is vaguely homosexual in some sinister way, but I am saying that the lesson we’re all going to take away from this is that America just isn’t a Democratic nation and we should all tack to the right and us hippies should just die in a fire already, which is bullshit. The lesson we should take away from this is that America doesn’t like pussies, doesn’t like whiners and it sure as fuck doesn’t like parties that pretend to be able to do less than they can do just because they don’t want to work that hard or have Chris Matthews call them mean.

You had majorities. You had power and you told us you were powerless. Why would anyone reward that with more power? Why would anyone think that’s a good idea?

Schmucks.

80 thoughts on “Peace Sucks a Hairy Asshole

1. noblejoanie says:

You’re getting lots of love over at atrios, this a.m., Athenae. Let me just add, WHAT SHE SAID

2. hoppy says:

Obama will be on his news conference in 30 minutes. A preview:
    My fellow Americans, I will not seek, nor will I accept the presidency in 2012. Instead I will be working with the Republican Congress for the next 2 years, trying to fuck up life for the middle class as much as possible. Kiss your Social Security goodbye. If you get to keep Medicare, don’t expect it to cover anyone.
    Have a nice day.

democrats sold their souls.
    obama needs to go back to who brought him. but not running in 2012 is retarded.

4. Tim says:

All the blathering about the economy, the budget and the deficit, health care reform and all the mud slinging that went with it, there was just one teeny tiny issue that everybody overlooked.
    WAR.
    In case we forgot, or sadly I suspect some of us never knew, we are still engaged in combat operations in Afghanistan. A war which was never declared, a war which is clearly unconstitutional, a war which goes against the rules of the international community…
    How could we forget about war in such an election?
    Because BOTH MAJOR PARTIES SUPPORT IT.
    Bush may have started the war, but he did so with the blessings of the Republican and Democratic Parties.
    So am I dismayed and disgusted at the outcomes of yesterday’s elections? A little.
    What truly disgusts me is the “what, me worry?” attitude of the two major parties and the voters when it comes to ENDLESS WAR.
    Peace,
    Tim

5. Mike G says:

The conservative Blue Dog Dems were decimated. This somehow proves that America is a conservative nation and the Dems need to tack right. Where the Blue Dogs were, before they lost their seats.

6. And then don’t forget that calling the progressive base “fucking retards” always helps because it allows the Democratic Party to distance itself from the Dirty Fucking Hippies, which is what America needs to see.
    Also.
    Too.

7. daryljfontaine says:

D

8. watertiger says:

I love you, A. Seriously.
    I just read this aloud to my mother (who was entrenched in a battle to save Tim Bishop out on Long Island) and she says, “BRAVO”!

9. camoe says:

Sadly, you are so very right.

10. Adrastos says:

I noticed that 70% of the House Dems who voted against health care reform went down. They lost their base, which exists even in blue states. Dumbasses.

11. eve says:

Right On!

12. Susie Madrak says:

People might have actually supported a liberal agenda, HAD THEY ACTUALLY SEEN ONE.

13. watertiger says:

Also, what Susie said.

14. HarpoSnarx says:

Sometimes the bleeding obvious covers everything.
    I predict . . . more centrism, more compromise, more capitulation until the whole corrupt system come tumbling down.

15. Woody says:

My biggest complaint about him is/has always been that he’s a meliorator. For St. Barry, the agreement is more important than what is agreed upon.
    I can’t imagine WHAT kind of a ‘community organizer’ he was, if he was ready to trade away the most powerful chip before the game even began.
    He did it with the health parasites’ bill, and with the free pass bill for Wall Street and now with extending the Bushevik tax-cuts. I betcha we see some mountain tops getting blown the fuck up, here pretty soone, too.
    And all this is prologue to the official start of the “Austerity Campaign,” when the lame-ducks return to roost, and the Catfood Commission “recommendations” come out.

16. scout says:

A-frakking-men

17. darrelplant says:

The transcript of the liberal blogger meeting with Obama is missing all three of these words: “Iraq”, “Afghanistan,” “war”.

18. Disputo says:

“I content myself with the knowledge that when Rahm tries to come back to an appointed mayoral seat in Chicago, Tom Dart (D-Cook County Sheriff) will be running against him.”
    Sorry. Dart decided to “spend more time with his family” (read: received a dead fish in the mail)

19. julia says:

I heart you. I mean, I know you knew that. I’m just saying.

20. myiq2xu says:

Awesome rant!

21. Eyesbright says:

Now that we’ve all bitched and moaned, it’s time to read this:
    If tht URL doesn’t come through, go to sfgate.com and find Mark Morford’s column for November 3. It will do you good.

22. Robert Earle says:

Mostly what Mark Morford said…and mostly not what you guys said.

23. BlackSheep01 says:

Preach it to ’em, Athenae.

24. Nora says:

My feeling is, 51 Democrats in the Senate is about as good as 60, considering the way the 60 refused to vote as a block, time and time again. I remember how I would get all those phone calls from the DSSC about how important it was to get 60 Democrats, how that would mean that the Senate would work for us, and all that crap, and they just pissed it away. I doubt that losing the 8 Senators is going to make any difference in terms of what the Senate manages to accomplish.
    The House, now, that’s another story. We lost my representative, John Hall, who was a good, stand up progressive guy, in favor of Nan Hayworth, a Tea Party idiot, and my resolution as of yesterday is to make her life a living hell, paying attention to everything she does and blasting her for everything she does that follows her corporate agenda.
    And by the way, how about a very simple amendment to the Constitution, to the effect of “Corporations are not persons for any Constitutional purposes.” Bingo. Citizens’ United is gone, Buckley v. Valeo is gone, we have a situation we can live with.

25. RepubAnon says:

Thank you, Rahm Emmanuel… good luck in the aluminum siding business!

26. Marc says:

Athenae: you and yours couldn’t have helped the republicans more if you tried. I hope you feel real good about being such an asset to them. The endless morale-sapping bitching, the magical thinking, the relentless attacks on Democrats: they would have paid you to do this. And you did it for free. Congrats!
    You could have written something about the wave of corporate money that just bought a lot of seats. Or you could have written something about the broken system in congress which allowed the republicans to block so many things. Those “useless” democrats no longer in the House passed a lot of bills that did a lot of good, including things (like cap and trade) that progressives allegedly care about.
    Instead all of the energy, and all of the hate, is directed at the President. Brilliant. I’d have hoped that maybe a dim recognition that attacking Obama 24/7 might not have helped would have seeped in. No luck, I guess.

27. Athenae says:

1. I’ve hardly attacked Obama 24-7. Read the archives. Read the dozens of comments from readers accusing me of being an Obot sellout because I didn’t jump on the firebagger health care position. Every time I say something not-hostile to him, I get the opposite comment from yours, accusing me of not loving him enough.
    2. I VOTED FOR ALL THESE PEOPLE. Straight D ticket, every time. Did my part, thank you. I didn’t stay home, and I didn’t tell anybody else to stay home either. Staying home out of spite is stupid. I doubt you’ll find anyone here who did.
    3. I love this site and its readers and am grateful for every one of them, but I don’t delude myself that this is a massively influential blog that can change the course of American politics with a few posts. We’re not responsible for Obama’s declining popularity or the continued suckitude of the economy. Relentless cheerleading on my part would not have changed anything on a national scale, and the way I know that is that John Kerry is not halfway through his second term as president right now.
    4. Yeah, I could have written about other things. I could always have written about other things. You want something written about, ain’t nobody stopping you from doing it yourself.

28. Nora – to be fair, they didn’t have 60 for very long. Teddy was sick and then died, so they got to 60 only after Franken’s election was ratified and Teddy’s replacement sworn in – on September 25, 2009. And of course Scott Brown was elected to the seat on January 19, and we were down to 59 again.
    So even if we assumed incorrectly that everyone caucusing with the Dems was going to vote the right way on cloture motions, we still only had that filibuster-proof majority for less than 4 months, including the Christmas holidays.
    The real problem was that they didn’t have the guts to change the filibuster rules so they could get the work done that we elected them to do.
    Yeah, I know the current storyline is that you can only do that on the first day of a new Congress, but that’s just a storyline. (I don’t know if the story exists as cover for changing some of the rules on January 3, or for not changing them at any other time; I guess it depends on the motivation of whoever’s telling the story.) The fact is that the Senate can change its rules anytime 50 Senators and Biden vote to do so, assuming Biden would be willing to overrule the parliamentarian.
    It wasn’t like it was the first day of a new Congress when the Senate was gearing up for a vote on the ‘nuclear option’ on judicial confirmation votes back in 2005 or whenever.

29. Found you via Fallenmonk, who linked to you and posted your entire rant.
    And I wanted to cry because SOMEBODY GOT IT.
    Thank you.
    May the Sanity Be with You!

30. Big Earl says:

Marc:
    I’ve heard your argument so often, and others like it, that Democrats should not stoop to the level of rants, anger, fighting back. “We need to be better than that, we need to be above that…” etc etc etc. Even John Stuart, last night, tried to tell Chris Wallace that MSNBC had “made a mistake trying to compete with Fox News”. Bullshit. Complete bullshit. What, silence and capitulation are a better circumstance? We rise above by being called “evil” and allowing Limbaugh and Breitbart to rule over us?
    That attitude is absolutely nuts. Were someone trying to take away your job, would to try to be conciliatory, rational, reasonable? If someone tries to take away your house? If someone tries to steal your money? If someone tries to physically take control of your body? If someone tried to give your money to the rich?
    Republicans need to understand that the left isn’t scared, the left isn’t sitting quietly in a corner, the left isn’t waiting for them to blow it, at which point they’ll understand and we can “reason” with them…
    Look, we have better policy, we have better ideas, hell, we have better people. If we let them shout us down, nobody hears our ideas, and we end up where we are now. Our system of government is an adversarial system, much like our justice system, and it is so by design. Those with passion and integrity can enter the system and FIGHT (yes, FIGHT) for what they believe in. Tooth and nail. Media included. To the end. It’s kinda like that.
    So when your team is a bunch of “pussies” and “whiners”, you don’t win the “fight”. Pretty simple. Who do you think Republicans are afraid of? Obama, or Feingold, Grayson, etc etc etc?

31. bartkid says:

So, where is the Tea Party sentiment on the Democratic side of the aisle?
    Draft Howard Dean to be DNC leader again and stff the primaries with people who will fight.

32. Fred X. Quimby says:

New Demo fail meme inc: it was the fault of young peeps who didn’t vote.

33. bobbyp says:

Marc,
    A determined 51 seat majority in the Senate could have passed a public option; humbled some bankers; and plumped for a much larger stimulus. How many fucking dems would it take to do this? 95? It always strikes me as absurd that the party beseeches us for our support during the election season only to kick us to the curb when it’s time to govern. If we are so inconsequential, what the fuck does it matter what we say or do?
    If there had even been a masterful pretense on the administration’s part of pressing for the public option we would not be having this so-called conversation. That’s how easy it is to buy off the left in this country (cf war in Asia).
    But they didn’t even PRETEND to fucking try.

34. pie says:

And what good, exactly, would that have done? More freaking excuses!!!! We all knew the first years trying to fix what Bush did were going to be tough. The dems had four and then eight years to come up with a plan – they needed to show the country as quickly as possible that they were the adults, that their policies would be better. It was certainly going to take some time, and acknowledging that “It’s the economy, stupid” would have helped. But they bailed out the banks instead.
    Mostly, they blew it (other than a few bright spots and a few courageous congressmen). I really wonder now if they know what the eff they’re doing. Pitiful.
    We need smarter and better and ruthless leadership, and we need it NOW. And No More Excuses.

35. Mr Blifil says:

Damn. Just…damn.

36. They are not schmucks.
    A schmuck has a head.

37. Marc says:

Everyone who isn’t a Republican is feeling crappy and expressing it in various ways. I hit a link from Eschaton and it rubbed me, massively, the wrong way. But I am sensitive to coming in out of the blue and I’m sorry for that. There’s a lot here and it’s not fair to judge on one thing.
    What I’m not sorry about, frankly, is that I think a lot of progressive commentary has turned inwards and become vicious. In 2008 a lot of people were inspired to action by the online community. Despite token gestures at the finish line, the net effect in 2010 has been negative. If Obama doesn’t disappoint he doesn’t get support; people seem to just move to the next assumed betrayal. Instead of moving any anger towards the people doing the most harm it always seems to get directed at Obama and Democrats. The online atmosphere has antagonized the hell out of more people than me and it’s exposed some serious intellectual weaknesses on the left.
    On alternative histories: there is just so much wishful thinking that I don’t know where to start – Christ, even though I basically agree on the goals. I’ve never seen a whit of evidence that a progressive health care plan could have even won a majority vote in the Senate. I know that what we got was real progress, and that the relentless attacks on it from the left have largely strengthened the relentless attacks on it from the right. Even a much larger stimulus, which would have been very tough to pass, would still have left an awful economy. There are some holes too deep to dig out of quickly, and I don’t see any acknowledgment of that basic fact.
    And I don’t accept the excuse that “my blog is too small to matter.” Presumably you want your actions to do good instead of harm, even if you know that you can’t decide things. Focusing anger on the source is one hell of a lot more productive than example #29,317 of “Obama sucks.”

38. filkertom says:

Once again, I love you.

39. Brian says:

Harry Reid’s timidity in confronting the Republicans is a major part of why voters don’t understand how against their interests the Republicans really are. Reid should take legislation like only extending the tax cuts for less than $250,000 in income and MAKE THE REPUBLICANS ACTUALLY FILIBUSTER…hour after hour of Republicans holding middle-class tax cuts hostage to the extension for millionaires on television live for everyone to see. Allowing them to do their filibustering by just saying so is bullshit. This should have been done on any number of issues that would make the Republicans look so bad to the public they would have backed down.

40. Old Democrat says:

Morton’s column is, as Cheney would say, inoperative. WE VOTED. ALL OF US. WE’RE NOT THE ONES THAT ELECTED THE TEAPUBLICANS.
    But, now that it’s over, we’re going to have our say. Because we don’t want to LOSE again and the Democrats are scrambling to come-up with fictional reasons for the lost. WE LOST BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN COWARDS.

41. The Fool says:

Athena is 100% right. The American people don’t like pussies and the Democrats have been acting like pussies ever since Ronald Reagan. There is nothing more pussified than a Blue Dog Democrat constantly licking Republican ass with their tail between their legs. And Obama is just lame.
    Well, we’ve tried 30 years of being pussies. Now can we try strongly supporting our own positions and attacking the radical extremists on the right for being the radical lying sacks of shit that they are?

42. at the border says:

you are Shrill and a Very Unserious Person.
    woot.

43. CVSnead says:

Seems to me that the diff between the repub and dem bases is that the dems actually get mad at their elected leadership when they get rolled over. Unlike the repubs, who just get even madder at the dems when their leadership keeps sticking it to them.
    Maybe it’s a sign of intelligence, who knows. Just a thought.

44. Big Earl says:

Marc:
    Sorry to break into your conversation with Athenae, but if you’ll indulge me, I have a few questions. If not, I’ll just leave these as an open question (response) to whomever:
    1) “The online atmosphere has antagonized the hell out of more people than me and it’s exposed some serious intellectual weaknesses on the left”…
    This is a srawman. What specifics have been exposed? By whom? This is what gets the progressives so upset, when anyone (including Obama) launches criticisms against them that have no basis in fact. Greenwald? Atrios? Digby? Others? So if we’re antagonizing you, can you let us know why? Maybe you’re just upset about the fact that we point to a failure you can’t explain away… “Instead of moving any anger towards the people doing the it always seems to get directed at”.
    2) “I’ve never seen a whit of evidence that a progressive health care plan could have even won a majority vote in the Senate.”
    Well, that’s not the point, is it? That’s really the crux of the issue. If you start with a “compromise” solution, healthcare, stimulus, financial reform, etc… you’ll end up with “less than compromise”. And the people listening to your rhetoric assume that you’re a coward. So revisit any major piece of legislation Obama and Rhambo were able to pass. Didn’t even TRY to do something effective. Cowardice, not cleverness.
    3) Agree completely with “Focusing anger on the source is one hell of a lot more productive than”.
    We’ve been predictively correct on failed policy, failed tactics, and negative outcomes for over six years. What we see and express concern about happens as regularily as Charlie Brown, Lucy and the Football. But it’s US who do the damage? None of our policy or tactical recommendations are ever tried, discussed, or even appreciated. Rather, we’re attacked for being correct and blamed for being negative.
    So yes, this is kindof an “I told you so” post from Athenae, but good for her. Something you need to hear and admin. We’ve been blogging for years. Where were you this whole time? Reading the NYT op-eds?

45. Big Earl says:

Also, sorry for the typos and junk, and thanks for listening.

46. report from the heartland says:

MARRY ME ATHENA– gosh, that’s like 9000 times I’ve asked…
    Started tearing out hair because all I hear (haven’t had a chance to read but it aligns with what I already know) that (AHEM) COMPROMISE is in the air.
    Lucy is walking OFF the field with the FOOTBALL UNDER HER ARM and Charlie Brown is still kicking.
    The lame ducks must allow the tax cuts to sunset (amid the screeching and wailing of the Know-Nothings). If nothing else. It’s fiscally responsible, Baggers/GOPs!

47. Servius says:

Ahhhh. The sweet feel of schadenfreude.
    On the economy. The economy will suck until we stop trying to bail it out. Stop printing money like a drunk German from 1923. Allow interest rates to return to natural levels.
    This too will suck as malinvestments are liquidated and people turned out of work but if we stop trying to prevent this, as interest rates rise, money will be invested in new ventures that return a profit and people go back to work.
    On health-care. All the polls showed Americans didn’t want what the Dems were selling. They did it anyway. We voted them out of office. It’s as simple as that.

48. Old Democrat says:

>On health-care. All the polls showed Americans didn’t want what the Dems were selling. They
    >did it anyway. We voted them out of office. It’s as simple as that.
    Uh…no. Americans wanted healthcare reform and still do. All the polls show that. They didn’t want what they got which was a Republican-style monstrosity that guarantees that the rich get richer and healthcare gets more expensive. And we got that because the Democrats WERE COWARDS.

49. Servius says:

Americans do want reform. We got more government control. We got a system designed to collapse and cause government to take even more control.

50. David McCarthy says:

I think it is time to mention that we don’t Howard Dean and his 50 strategy in play any more — When Tim Kaine assumed the reigns from Dr. Dean in 2009, he immediately jettisoned the entire 50 state strategy and moved to the old DLC positions, which are now soon to be known as the Third Way positions, with Evan Bayh as the leading advocate for that. No matter what they want to call, it is fundamentally a losing position. Watch, Tim Kaine is going to be most focused on regaining BlueDogs (a.k.a., DINOs)seats than in building a real progressive force; and on that note, let me add, I am thrilled that so many BlueDogs lost.

51. expatjourno says:

Fuck you, Marc. Fuck your Obama-fluffing, hero-worshipping. Fuck YOU. Go ahead and wash down Obama’s shit sandwich with the piss of Rahm Emanuel.
    Obama screwed the pooch. This loss is on Obama, not on the people who warned him this would happen and tried to stop it.

52. expatjourno says:

And thank you, Athenae, for telling it like it is.

53. melior says:

Give Kaine’s job to Alan Grayson dammit.

54. melior says:

Give Kaine’s job to Alan Grayson dammit.

55. michek chavaniac says:

In a world where fairness actually meant something to opposition candidates the supreme court wouldn’t be packed with whores and the liars could
    be defeated. But this world is full of idiots and fellow travelers. Until voting is mandatory there will be no justice.

56. Old Democrat says:

>We got a system designed to collapse and cause government to take even more control.
    That’s because it was based on a Republican design.

57. getaclue says:

What A said. I double it.

58. karmanot says:

What example #29,317 said. Let me repeat more LOUDLY: What example #29,317 said!

59. Aaaargh says:

And just to underline Athenae’s comments, Barack Weaktit Obama declares as his first remark after the election that he is “ready to compromise with the Republicans.” As if he hadn’t been doing that from Day One.
    What a useless, gutless, nutless, spineless sack of shit he is. I bet he doesn’t deign to veto anything the GOP Congress sends him, all in the spirit of compromise. He’s like a weak-kneed version of Neville Chamberlain. All he’s missing is a goddamned umbrella.
    See, Marc, that’s what abusing Obama looks like. And it’s richly fucking deserved.

60. Paul Luscher says:

Ya made my point, but in more forceful language.
    Let’s face it, the Dems wimped out (Harry Reid–“the Banana Man”–has got to go), and managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory…

61. willf says:

Wow, Morford’s really bought the whole line of B.S. that Obama was selling, huh?
    Here’s a question for him, then:
    If the current iteration of the GOP is so crazy and bloodthirsty, and ready to destroy all that democrats worked so hard for (koff koff), why is it that Obama wants to work with them? I mean, if they are everything Morford says that they are in his little hissy-fit column, why does Obama keep going out of his way to capitulate to them? Even as Obama’s flacks were spreading the same propaganda that Morford bought hook, line and sinker, Obama was meeting with prog-bloggers and saying shit like this:
    Q Mr. President, you’ve said that you want to work with Republicans after the election, but there’s probably a pretty good chance that they’re not going to advance with you. Is there sort of a breaking point you have of where you try to work with them and they just refuse to budge, which they’ve indicated so far?Is there a breaking point for you just like you’re going to have to go off on your own and find a way around them?
    THE PRESIDENT: Look, the — I’m a pretty stubborn guy when it comes to, on the one hand, trying to get cooperation. I don’t give up just because I didn’t get cooperation on this issue; I’ll try the next issue. If the Republicans don’t agree with me on fiscal policy, maybe they’ll agree with me on infrastructure. If they don’t agree with me on infrastructure, I’ll try to see if they agree with me on education. …
    And if I can find ways for us to work with Republicans to advance those issues, then that’s going to be my priority.

See that? Those insane GOP thugs who have you so worried? Obama is going to make it apriority to find a way to work with them. Even if it means finishing the work of hollowing out the corpse of public education, even if it means gutting Social Security, raising the retirement age, giving all our retirement funds to Wall St. and arguing thatordinary citizens have no legal right to go to court to challenge the government if it uses tax money to fund religious schools.
    So, is it really a case that the crazies have taken over, and now Obama will have to capitulate even further to them? Or are you simply unwilling to see the truth? Obama is not a great progressive, he doesn’t want the same things you do, he works for the people who caused this mess, and he’s happy about it.

62. grouchomarxist says:

It was Obama’s fault: He looked the Republicans in the eye when they took our lunch money.
    Though I thought I had a fairly accurate assessment of the obstacles to getting anything done (plus Obama’s innate technocratic, centrist, fiddle-at-the-margins-but-don’t-piss-off-the-big-boyz preferences), even I’ve been gob-smacked by the Dems’ unswerving resolution to display cowardice and disarray at every possible opportunity.

63. anon says:

Ack, too fucking depressing. My husband disagrees with me because of “the rules of congress” and all, so Obama only has so much say. But I don’t buy it. Not for one bit. Bush shoved everything down our throats and made us swallow. And the best we get from Obama is “I’m only President.” I think he should learn from some of those Reagan books he read on How to Win Friends and Influence People. Yes, I know Reagan didn’t write them. He rewrote them. Pragmatism isn’t going to get Obama or us anywhere with this. My husband cites the laundry list of Obama accomplishments. But really, each was so watered down by the time it was done, that this following prez and congress will just rip it all out anyway. So wtf then has he accomplished. Yes, I understand the rules of Congress and what it takes to get shit passed. I understand it and I don’t care. Bush didn’t care either and he got everything he wanted. Why can’t Obama do the same? Stop living in a fucking constitutional text book and git er done. Just sayin.

64. ignoreland says:

Ah servius, the latest convert to Miesian economics. What makes you think you’re going to come out on top when the wolves are carrying off your savings and the foxes are crying, “you should have known better!” You ought to change your name to subservient.
    And marc – this election was lost in November 2008 when the Obama campaign became the incoming administration and they threw Democracy for America and Organizing for America out the bus window. I knew literally hundreds of people who met through their email lists and were aching for the chance to do something, and they (you?) told us to kiss off. Attendance at my local Democratic Committee meeting went from 8 to 50 to 150 to 8 in the course of a year – who threw away those people? The chickenshits, the cowards, the appeasers, the corporate lackeys. Will we get them back? Probably not until a woman becomes the Dem nominee. Maybe she’ll know what to do with them.

65. Teddy Fucking Roosevelt without the Shitty Foreign Policy says:

In what fucking world is 51 enough in this fucking Senate? Fuck you, you shortsighted all-or-nothing asshats. Because you spent all your time sowing discontent amongst your fucking peers, we have to deal with these fucking emboldened GOP dickwads. Fucking Missouri is not fucking New York. You’re not going to get fucking Dennis Kucinich, who I love, in office in fucking Arkansas. Christ on a crutch. Fucking babies on the left, fucking babies on the right. I’m as liberal as they come, but fucking progress is progress, and when you reject it wholesale, you fuck us all up. Be glad for the victory and keep pushing the fucking rock up the hill.

66. Blueslide says:

One minor quibble Big Earl…what I want as a lefty has been tried. In fact, it has been going on in many democratic western nation nations. And, I am not just talking about healthcare but also foreign policy, human rights for GLBT and people of color, progressive taxation…
    We need someone who is bold and decisive and an unrepentant liberal. I am not holding my breath, but clearly the contemporary Democratic Party has blown the best opportunity in many decades.

67. Susan says:

@Servius When did you decide that Democrats aren’t Americans?
    Good rant, Athenae. We can fucking count. Excellent.

68. Servius, the American people who “didn’t want what the Dems were selling” were of two types:
    a) Those of us who knew that Single Payer was the correct answer (Dingdingdingdingdingggg!!!) and
    b) The weak-minded, ill-informed rubes who believed the bullshit and lies being peddled by the right.
    That comes to, let me see… about 70%.

69. Phila says:

Agreed.

70. Old Democrat says:

>In what fucking world is 51 enough in this fucking Senate?
    When you use reconciliation. Just like the GOP did to pass Bush’s tax cuts for the rich and just like the Dems did to pass Health Care. They should have kept using it until the Republicans cried for mercy. Or, just cried.

71. Jack Jackson says:

420 bills were passed out of a Democrat-controlled House only to DIE on the undemocratic Senate floor. 420 filibustered bills. Forget the 59-41 BS…It only takes 40. The Democrats were robbed of six months of progress when Coleman fought like hell to keep Al Franken from being sworn in. And after Franken finally was sworn in, Kennedy died 45 days later. 45 days was all that the sweeping mandate got the Democrats. GOP stalling and tricks left us 45 days. Majority rule (fifty per cent plus one) means something everywhere else in this country but the Senate floor.
    The Republicans were standing on the brakes with both feet because if the Democrats actually got the country moving, the out of work, the foreclosed (or soon to be foreclosed) can’t wait!! The GOP hopes were pinned on a recovery NOT HAPPENING.
    The Democrats have about 40 days until the new Congress. If they have the stones, Harry Reid needs to put up one of the already passed bills each day so the GOP Senators can fumfer and delay. Mrs. Pelosi needs to get a campaign disclosure bill through. The Senate needs to change the rules so that future filibusters need to keep the floor. I don’t care if it means you can’t go home and raise money. The current situation is killing the nation.

72. Big Earl says:

Blueslide:
    Too true, error on my part. We just lost hegemony, and gave it to the EU and/or China. Nice job GOP!
    Teddy Roosevelt:
    “Because you spent all your time sowing discontent…, we have to deal with these fucking emboldened GOP …”
    It’s our fault that the GOP won big? Holy shit, I didn’t realize I had that kind of power. Love it. Can I get paid too?
    So you’re obviously missing the entire point. Firstly, nobody listens to progressives. Nobody. Nobody. Not Barney Frank, not Pelosi, not anyone at the White House. Nobody.
    So given that I really don’t understand how “WE” the progressives “CAUSED” anything. We didn’t vote in the Senate. Our policy and tactics were never tried by ANY member of the Senate. And any gains in the House were SOLELY because of progressives, who were generally half-assed at best. So STFU, and quit blaming us. Blame Evan Bayh. Blame Ben Nelson. Blame Blanche Lincoln. Blame OBAMA. You can’t learn unless you know the lesson. People need results. We’re desperate for them. And we’re stupid and spiteful. So we vote GOP.
    Just think, if we go back to centrist compromise tactics, we’ll get what we got from 1998 until now, which is NOTHING. (yes, it’s caps day today) NOTHING. The only good thing I can say about Obama is that we got 50% of the 50% that he tried to do, and then got voted out because 25% just ain’t good enough. Compromise!
    Had we gotten REAL reform of any type, we’d be in a different place. But even had we gotten NO reform of any type, but had the ability to explain why the GOP fillibustered Single Payer Universal Health Care, fillibustered Unemployment benefits, fillibustered Real Financial Reform, fillibustered Financial Stimulus, at least we could play the “point the finger at the GOP” game. And then we either compromise back to something, and even (if you like where we got) go further and compromise back to where what we actually got. That’s politics played well.
    But as it stands, we sent pussy legislation to a weak-willed senate (Harry Ried? God help us…) that then got beat by the sizable MINORITY. BEAT BY THE MINORITY! Who wouldn’t vote against that crap? It’s like playing Poker and folding every time, because you only have three kings. (Holy crap, they might have three aces! Yikes!)
    Pussies.

73. Bungy says:

Thank-you, Athenae. I’m with you. What can I do? I blog. I write letters. I post comments. I make donations to the causes and politicians I support. I VOTE.
    In short, I (like you) am doing my part. And I recognize that my part is important if relatively small in comparison to the POTUS’s. I am used to the concern trolls. I am used to the homophobic responses to my progressive ideology (so like the vid you post). I can live with that.
    What I can’t live with is my so-called leader’s belief in preemptive compromise. What I don’t like is my overly timid Senate leader. What to do when decorum and faith in political consensus (noble as they are) still inevitably lead to a position of weakness, even when you have the power of the majority? Even now, the WH cowers before the “devastation,” ready to consider extending all the Bush tax cuts. That’s not something they bargained away in tough negotiations — that’s something they are signaling NOW before the new congress is even seated!!!
    So yes, I am mad at the Democratic leadership. And I vent it on blogs and in comments and in letters. But when 2012 comes around, I will vote again and I will make donations again and I will probably volunteer as a campaign worker again.
    But I will not be a mindless cheerleader. I will celebrate those who, like you, share this commitment. I do so in the hopes that this minuscule influence might build into something that gives our President a progressive spine. Or perhaps motivates a viable challenge to his authority.
    Maybe Marc and others should see this not as turning against one another but evidence of a fighting spirit still in the progressive left. Shouldn’t that be cultivated???
    [Btw, I found you through Tengrain’s “Mock, Paper, Scissors” blog. I suspect your recent commentary will be making the rounds quite a lot!]

74. Walt says:

Yeah, really, fuck Mark Morford. I’m 40 goddamn years old. I’ve voted every goddamn election. The Democrats will never, ever, ever have a majority that large again. Every single President between Carter and Bush Jr. moved American politics to the right. Carter, Clinton, and Bush Sr. only a little, and Reagan and Bush Jr. a lot. Now the Democrats have a gigantic majority, one you only get in the wake of an epic disaster, and Obama has managed to move American politics a tiny, tiny, tiny bit to the left. The Democrats are not up to the task we’ve asked them to do. It’s time to find someone else.

75. Gram T says:

Saw this linked over at Docudharma.
    Great Rant!

76. Wilson says:

Please, please, please do NOT readthis; it’ll just piss you off.
    Also:this.

77. kelley b. says:

Democrats weren’t cowards, they were and are owned by a lot of the same people that own the Republicans.
    Goldman-Sachs, beotches. So does $electing an ex-faculty member of the University of Chicago meananything to you? This administration was designed to fail. Heckuva job, Larry.
    And thissanity meme, really, now who owns Jon Stewart these days? One hears he’sgetting love letters from Timmeh Geithner. Or something.
    So the One just goes belly-up andcompromises more, for the next couple years. We will all be told by our DINOcrat betters how unSerious and how childish we are for bitching every time the One capitulates, because after all Resistance is Futile, right?
    After all, if we let the Serious have their way, everything goes so Right. Take Iraq, wherecombat operations have ended, with an untold number of mercenaries still fighting innon-combat roles, our soldiers guarding the bases guarding the oil-fields, and billions going to bribe the Sunni not to fight us. Or Afghanistan, where we bankroll the warlords producing the opium that makes the heroin addicting more and more kids on the street.
    But it’s all our fault, us moonbats, because we refused to praise the wire that garrottes us.

78. Mitsu says:

I don’t think the “filibusters must keep the floor” rule would change anything. Republicans would go ahead and stay on the floor for any given filibuster as long as they wanted, holding up the Senate for other business indefinitely. They could play chicken for every bill indefinitely.
    If we weaken the filibuster rule, also, we will weaken ourselves next time we’re in the minority in the Senate. That could mean much worse than stalling progress: it would mean the outright repeal of nearly everything progressive that currently is law.
    The reason Bush got things passed when he didn’t have 60 votes is simply that Democrats are not as unified as Republicans in opposition. This very blog is proof of that: we are not unified. We attack each other, we have different points of view.

79. Avedon says:

“We got that because that’s what you get when you ask government to ‘fix’ something.”
    No, it isn’t. It’s what you get when you asktories to fix something.
    Liberal government is what the Founders gave us, and liberal government gave us a good educational system, a good post office system, and a reasonably good set of opportunities for people to better themselves and their community. Then tories took over and wrecked our financial system and it took more liberals to bring us Social Security, which was and is a successful and efficient program that did just what it was designed to do (although less so after tories started tinkering with it – but still damned good compared to any alternative).
    Medicare wasn’t bad but single-payer would be far, far better. We know government can do this because the Canadian government does it very well.
    What can’t be done well is tory government, because it exists essentially to make sure that the very rich and powerful are not governed, but get to do whatever the hell they want.
    And Obama is a Straussian – in other words, a Tory. And that’s the real reason he keeps “failing”. He’s doing just what he wants.