The Metrodome does a Superdome impression

We New Orleanians know from collapsing domes but very little about blizzards:

10 thoughts on “The Metrodome does a Superdome impression

it’s the sound that really makes it. ‘water’ is a powerful thing. how’d that tent survive that long in MN?

2. dr2chase says:

You’re supposed to shovel your roof when it gets that heavy.

3. Anonymous says:

The roof collapsed in 1981 under under snow. There have been several other roof tear events due to snow or wind conditions. The roof is held up by pressurized air and if the fabric tears there goes the pressurization.

4. PurpleGirl says:

That no-name comment was from me. I looked up the Metrodome in Wikipedia this morning.

5. idiosynchronic says:

What I can’t figure out is that this morning, before the footage, Metrodome ‘officals’ said that theypurposely let the air out of the dome. That video looks much more like an ungoverned structural failure rather than a planned failure.
    IANAEngineer though. Just some architecture schoolin’.

6. Robert Earle says:

“how’d that tent survive that long in MN?”
    Average annual snowfall for the Twin Cities (or so wikipedia tells me) is about 45 inches. They got almost half that in 24-to-36 hours.

7. Henry Holland says:

The Vikings attempt to extort a new stadium out of the taxpayers of Minnesota just got a big boost.

8. Interrobang says:

Woah. We just got a snowstorm last weekend that dumped 1.2m of snow on us, so this is metaphorically close to home.

9. mdh says:

foom!

10. Paul Harris says:

Funny, it does bring back memories of when I was a tourist stuck in the Superdome during Katrina and the levee failures, except the two panels that blew off were much smaller and we didn’t get soaked with water. Most people were simply able to move to different sections and stay dry. Ironically I returned for an exhibition game after the Dome was fixed but where I was sitting there was still some rain getting in and dripping on our heads.
    Paul Harris
    Author, “Diary From the Dome, Reflections on Fear and Privilege During Katrina”