Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Ends Today

And I hope, soon, so will injustices like this:

In general, same-sex partners will not get the same benefits that the Pentagon grants to heterosexual married couples to ease the costs of medical care, travel, housing and other living expenses. The Pentagon says the 1996 federal Defense of Marriage Act — which defines marriage as a legal union between a man and woman — precludes extending those benefits to gay couples, even if they are married legally in certain states.

Same-sex partners can be listed as the person to be notified in case a service member is killed or injured, but current regulations prevent anyone other than immediate family — not same-sex spouses — from learning the details of the death.

7 thoughts on “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Ends Today

1. virgotex says:

One day, the kids and grandkids of this generation are going to look back on this time and be grateful they didn’t have to live in such a backward era.

2. iceblue says:

Baby steps I guess. It’s better than nothing. Just to know you don’t have to be so secretive anymore and use the word ‘they’ when talking about things at home, or, you can actually say who your ‘roommate’ is, will be a bit less stressful.
    I don’t imagine it will otherwise impact most people who are gay in the military. No one is gonna wear a big sign. The rule is changed but make no mistake, almost all of them will still be very wary. No matter what rules they come up with, there willalways be people who discriminate, and if they happen to be your supervisor, they will use it against you in evaluations. So, I would expect for most people, it’ll be just another day.

3. Baby steps
    You know, back during the Clinton administration, when DADT was made policy and DOMA was enshrined, I thought “baby steps.”
    When Bush was president, and the culture wars were really front and center as part of the reelection strategy, I knew things would get better, I just didn’t know when.
    But if you’d have told me in 2004 (or 2006) (or even 2008) that DADT would be sunset in 2011, and that gay marriage would be legal in a handful of states including New York, I would have called you a true-believing, utopian activist left-winger wasting your time on empty wishes.
    I’d have told you that we should be further, that there was much work yet to be done on civil rights, but that we live in a hypersensitive and thin-skinned republic and getting there would take longer than any of us really want.
    And it will.
    But I still would have told you that today was unpossible in 2011. As in “beyond a reasonable expectation” possible.
    And yet.

4. mass says:

Now all the kids can say: “You’re joining the Marines?! That’s so gay…”
    Congrats to my fellow citizens for gaining some ground on the civil rights battlefield. Equality will come one day.
    As for that military credo: Duty. Honor. Country.
    HONOR cannot exist when you force patriotic men and women to lie about who they are.
    Oh, and to iceblue: “No one is gonna wear a big sign.”
    But now they CAN if they want to!!!!

inch by inch, step by step.

6. OkieBlue says:

So they’re claiming that a same sex spouse is not immediate family?
    OK. I’m going to have to go and think about that for awhile. (Head explodes.)

7. Domino says:

You will watch this in a different, but still happy, light: