Weekend Question Thread

Can you sew?

I can hem a pair of pants and put buttons back on stuff, but creating something complicated from scratch is still beyond me.

15 thoughts on “Weekend Question Thread

1. mmferry1965 says:

Odd…for some reason, still don’t know why, but in a dream last night I was telling someone I could darn a sock or reattach a shirt button, but other than that…nope.

2. Yes, I’ve made clothing for years – when my children were small especially. I still sew a few things each year.

3. Senior year, high school, I made a fully-lined tailored wool suit. It was flawless. So of course out cruising in my mother’s Mustang while wearing the suit, I decided to be ever-so-cool (then home from college) and smoke while driving. Burnt wool smells awful. 🙂

It’s surprising how few people know how to sew these days. But then AP American History gets many more points for the college application than does Home Ec (whatever its called now). I no longer make much clothing but still do other projects using the same skills. Project Runway — now that was some reality TV worth the time. A sewing drama!

4. Kathy says:

I sew quite well but I suck at buttons and hemming. Just made a Princess Buttercup costume for my son-in-law.

5. thebewilderness says:

I was always good with a needle and thread or tatting shuttle or crochet hook, knitting needles, whatever. I was a complete failure at sewing in 7th grade home ec. I had custody of my great grandmas old sewing machine and mostly used it for mending. And then…and then…my neighbor gave me some bolt ends of drapery fabric. With absolutely nothing to lose I created halloween costumes and slip covers learning as I went. I have been designing and making clothing ever since.

6. Roger Matile says:

Only leather. Used to do French and Indian War reenacting before arthritis turned my spine into a short of paper clip shape, so made all sorts of moccasins, knife and sword sheaths, belts, cartridge boxes and everything else the well-dressed mid-18th Century soldier needed. But cloth? Not so much. I leave that to my wife the quilter.

7. Dr A says:

Buttons only!

8. Adrastos says:

Cannot sew at all. Fingers like sausages. Mercifully, Dr A van sew buttons.

9. My house has a nice little collection of basic costumes, knot dresses, pj pants, twirl skirts, and bags that I’ve sewn with and for my kids, but I still think I am very much a beginner. Zippers elude me.

10. BlackSheep1 says:

Yes. Athenae, I know you can do it too, because you’re intelligent. You can read & follow directions. I can sew by hand or machine and I crochet for fun. I prefer sew-on snaps to buttons, though, ’cause buttonholes are teh suck.

Now, you have an excuse to make cute things for Kick ……….

i do buttons, repair ok, but i am a knitter. not a sewer.

12. hobbular says:

I hand-sew knitted pieces together to make bigger knitted pieces. I have broken sewing machines and am not allowed to touch them anymore. I’m trying to figure out how to put zippers into knitted garments now…

13. SnarkyPam says:

I suck at sewing clothing, as curves and zippers throw me for a loop. But straight seams in quilts I can manage just fine.

14. jame says:

I can’t darn socks, but I can hem pants (without cuffs). I do lots of beadwork, but hope to get back to sewing simple clothing, items without zippers, buttonholes or pleats. Fun, eh?