Weekend Question Thread: Vote You Regret?

I pulled a Republican ballot in Illinois in 2000 so I could vote for John McCain over George W. Bush. I was young and in love and so fucking stupid. Granted, I don’t think 200o-era McCain would have been a third the disaster Bush was, but still, McCain.

8 thoughts on “Weekend Question Thread: Vote You Regret?

1. liprap says:

Voting for Bob Dole in ’96. Lotsa influence from my right-wing, relentlessly-listening-to-Rush Limbaugh boss at the time. I’m kinda amazed my left-leaning spouse peered through all that crud filling my head & picked me. I’m now seeing how much many of us women lose power as we age and wonder how ANY women can vote for the candidates the Party of Crazy-Ass Uncles is offering these days. We are weird people.

2. iceblue2 says:

i watched the beginning of Rachel last night and listened to her say how ineffective those people are, who vote in the opposite party primary for the lesser of two evils. I have, on several occasions, voted in the GOP primary in TX. I voted for Dewhurst (I know) in 2012 primary for US Senate, and he actually won the vote but not 50% and in the runoff, somehow the numbers flipped and here we are stuck with that dipshit Cruz. Providing he isn’t the Pres nominee, I am hopeful he will be voted out of office in 2018. In TX, I almost always vote straight D in the actual election. I wish everybody did 🙂

• I won’t admit to my worst votes (except to say that I will surely burn in hell for them). I will admit to voting for Bob Riley in the Republican primary for his second term as Alabama governor, but the Democrat was a party hack with no qualifications for the job, and Riley was running against Roy Moore.

3. montag47 says:

No regrets. I never vote for Repugs. Or assholes.

4. mmferry1965 says:

A non-vote I regret deeply was in 1990…forget the exact circumstances, but didn’t cast a ballot, and later that evening saw blow-dried-lighter-than-air-lightweight Scott Klug defeat Bob Kastenmeier, who was a genuinely decent representative, and, best as I could tell, human being. Not that one vote would’ve made a difference, but…

I’ve been pretty good about voting ever since, though it helped to have same-day registration while living the student life in Madison.

Voted for Nader in 1996 and 2000, but no regrets for either: Clinton was a lock for Wisconsin that year, and no way was Bush going to lose Loosiana in 2000.

5. mellowjohn says:

don’t regret voting for him, but in 1980 i voted in the IL R primary for John Anderson. because IL has a closed primary i became a “registered Republican” and it took many years and two interstate moves to get off some very weird mailing lists.

6. Peter Adrastos Athas says:

My vote for Ray Nagin in 2002. Huge regrets even though I had a lot of fun mocking him on my blogs.

my first, for a judge who turned out to be a perv + more. SO, i said i must RESEARCH from now on. but i always had a bent towards politics.