Today on Athenae’s Obsession with the Freepi: Rare Praise Edition

Guys, I’m as shocked as you are, but I think I actually respect this Freeper:

When I was in school a brief statement was made that stated many people believe the world was created by a creator. That’s about all that was said and that’s about all that was necessary.

And if that’s all that the IDers were asking for, the conversation would be over. Most science classes have a couple-sentence disclaimer like that, and if they don’t, a single student question can elicit one.

We also had a “moment of silence” after the pledge of allegiance.

I don’t see the point, but I also don’t see the outrage. Of course, I stopped saying the Pledge every day in the 8th grade, so I would have had a longer moment of silence.

Let me clarify. I had no objection to the sentiments in the Pledge. I never stopped reciting it on patriotic occasions. I objected to the force of daily habit. I objected to the rote recitation of words 90% of us had never given serious thought and maybe half could define if asked. I didn’t make a fuss; I just rose and placed my right hand over my heart, along with my classmates, but stood mute.

If I were a public school teacher, on my first — and quite possibly only — day on the job, my first act after the Pledge would be to ask the class, “okay, what you just finished saying, what does it mean?” I would not expect many hands to go up.

[snip]

>>Finally, an ID proponent admits that the purpose of ID is to introduce moral education into science classes. Would that they were all so honest.

It is not so much as to introduce it, but rather as a response to having it wiped out. When there is no morals in the government schools, society is weakened.

I agree. We need more robust citizenship, civics and ethics education. It doesn’t belong in biology class.

One of the second-tier talk show hosts — Michael Reagan, Mike Gallagher, Dennis Prager, they all blur together for me — posed the question of what moral code is taught by evolution. I cursed myself for leaving my cell phone at home, because I had an immediate retort. What moral code is taught by calculus? Or by chemistry, physics or astronomy?

Answer: None That is not what they do. Is it immoral for a cheetah to kill a gazelle? A cheetah is a predator, the harshest epithet we can apply to a human criminal. Yet nature cannot function long without predators. That’s biology. How does that translate into human society? That’s ethics.

ID is a response to the mocking of religion, by those whose motives are merely masked by claiming to be scientific. It is a battle in the culture wars.

My position is that the “culture wars” are largely fiction. They’re the hysterical overreaction of some Christians to the fact that Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Sikhs, Animists and even (gasp!) atheists no longer “know their place.” Being denied a privileged position, even if it’s a traditional one, is not a form of oppression.

Even a blind squirrel, and etc, and of course he gets his ass kicked all over that thread by “Christians are persecuted! Evolution is the cause of abortion! You’re a Dhimmicrat!” and such. But I’m as startled at finding intelligent dissent in that forum as I am when Puck finds the litterbox all on his own.

10 thoughts on “Today on Athenae’s Obsession with the Freepi: Rare Praise Edition

1. dr2chase says:

Don’t forget that evolution is not so much about survival of the fittest, as it is about reproduction of future generations. If it was just the bio equivalent of World-Wide-Wrasslin, that would be one thing, but we also get peacock tails, elephant seal harems, promiscuity, adultery, sex-changing fix, parthenogenic sharks and lizards, and lets not even get started on the insects. Heck, some of those animals even DANCE in their mating displays.

2. Athenae says:

Ah, college.

what happened to MALES having to display for US???
    sadly, with lawyers, eliminating the stupid is a lot harder. do i mourn when 4 cheerleaders die in a car crash(after they lose control of the SUV after passing a slower car? no. fireworks accident? nay.
    pansypoo is such a bitch.

4. Phila says:

Very well said. Too bad he may as well be talking to mice for all the good it’ll do him.

5. donna says:

It’s all in the hierarchy. God over man, man over animals, women and children, some men over others. That’s how they see the world.
    They can’t get that evolution is about how things actually work, not how they want them to work. The very idea that everything is somehow equal in value is offensive to them. Evolution means we’re not so special after all – and they can’t handle it.

6. Finally, an ID proponent admits that the purpose of ID is to introduce moral education into science classes.
    Explain to me how introducing ID in a science class makes one moral. Truly. I don’t get it.
    It’s not logical, and it won’t work. Would that morality could be taught that easily. Will learning about ID lead us all to become pacifists? Will the murder, rape, and assault rate drop to zero?
    That is a really stupid notion.

7. lagarita says:

ID makes one “moral” because the only morality these people understand is authoritarian. The idea that they themselves have a moral sense and that, heaven forbid!, it might need to be developed (i.e. change) is utterly foreign to them. Whether the authority is a god, scripture, Jerry Falwell, or GWB, the only acceptable morality is one that is dictated to them. It amazes (and scares) me to talk to people, who I would otherwise consider to be good people, who have no problem with the killing of thousands of innocent Iraqis because they believe that these actions are sanctioned by “authority”. So, to them, I am immoral, and to me, they are completely amoral because they don’t feel that morality is a personal responsibility – the authority tells you what’s moral and questioning authority is immoral.

8. lagarita says:

9. Hoppy says:

lagarita, I’m not sure you know how profound that is. I had never looked at it that way before. Now I see why so many people believe that without Christianity we would all just be amoral savages. There really are a vast number of people who do only what they are told to do and not do what they are told not to do.
    Is this a case of arrested development? Where people are stuck in the world of 6 year olds? I’m going to have to think about this some more.

10. eric says:

When there is no morals in the government schools, society is weakened.</i.
    Apparently, what we really need is remedial grammar. Geez. Somebody didn't learn too well at that "government school".