You Still Suck

A friend who is moving to Chicago asked me to which newspaper should she subscribe. I had a hard time answering the question.This is why.

Is there any other industry where the universal answer to losing customers is to make the product worse?

12 thoughts on “You Still Suck

1. dr2chase says:

Airlines, maybe.
    Comcast is working on it, too.

2. dr2chase says:

Airlines, maybe.
    Comcast is working on it, too.

3. caliph garrett says:

It’s the ultimatereductio ad absurdum of the media deregulation and merger mania of the 1990s: If you’ve bought out the competition, why bother trying at all?
    Run more ads, wire stories and syndicated columns & hope nobody notices.

4. In my household, newspaper subscriptions are handled by the parakeets. After all, they’re the ones that have to read it.

5. report from the heartland says:

I’m watching Newsday implode. I’ve lost track– Zell is selling to the Dolans instead of Rupert, but does Zell still own Trib empire? Did he ever? Not sure. Anyway, the paper has long been declining but in the last month it slip-slid away just about completely. No more international news from Newsday reporters; local columnists basically gone; no food pages just about!; the main film review is absent (you are supposed to go to the website to read it)… and on and on. The other day I thought they had taken out the funnies but at least they still have a double page of toons…

6. Interrobang says:

Mass transit.

7. mdhatter says:

Umm, music?

8. Auntie Meme says:

Plastic surgery. (Thinking about our local paper–in an attempt at improvement, it has been made thinner and shinier, like an aging sit-com star.)

9. joejoejoe says:

Sox fans!

well, a free week of the tribune was foisted on me and that sucked.

11. StonyPillow says:

The Trib sucks, but the Sun Times stopped trying when Murdoch bought it, and the Herald never even bothered.
    As pathetic and reactionary as it is, the Trib is the only real newspaper in Chicago. And as much as I despise it, I still read it every day. It’s not a real day without a real newspaper.

1st question. which one has the best comics?