You Must Raise Our Child With Dignity: Galactica Thread

Hot-chicks-guns-tv-katee-sackhoff

Mrowr.

Jacob:

Adama’s last act was to invite the 268s into a glorious future he
hadn’t written yet, and now he’s been cockblocked from sketching out
the rest of the story, from building the new Will to Meaning for
everybody, to get everybody out alive like any good Adama tries to do.
Can Adama be the Lie he used to be? Can he rally the tatters? If he
dies, can Laura build a world around his memory? If he lives, can he
talk the people into remembering there’s a future? He spends this
episode like the cat in the box, neither living nor dead, and we’re
right back at depression, the way you get out of it alive: can you
commit yourself to that half-future long enough, on faith, to find your
way out of the maze? Can you forget Christmas and Easter, the way Cally
and Dee forgot to do, and have faith in the end of the story? Stop
waiting and move forward into light.

Spoilers within.

17 thoughts on “You Must Raise Our Child With Dignity: Galactica Thread

1. virgotex says:

Exposition, exposition, exposition. This ep was 3/4 exposition, and well done, leaving us with “WTF happens NOW?” At the same time, there’s a feeling that things are getting simpler.
    “I need to be something.” Identity is such a huge component of this whole story, of course. The tension between who/what you are and just the reality THAT you simply ARE.
    I knew ahead of time that Hodgman was going to be in this episode but I was so engrossed that I wasn’t looking for him. It was kind of jarring that he popped up in the OR. I mean, who the hell is this doctor? Where’s he been? It’s cool he was on the show and all but it broke into my suspension of disbelief, kind of like the KFC ads and the BSG schwag hawking.

2. Fear hears every kind of comfort as a threat. Fear doesn’t want anything to make sense, because if things make sense, then it’s just up to you.
    And one of the reasons why this show is so frakking good! Cavil wants to be the perfect machine – and he simply cannot accept that he already IS perfect – so says his creator Ellen! Shades of the oldImperious Leader – or at least the infamous CylonSpecter.
    The exposition and backfilling of how – and why – was important, and to a large extent, completed the circle. There’s only a few more episodes to the end… and yes, WTF is going to happen next??
    SP

3. BlakNo1 says:

Dean Stockwell FTW.
    I think Kara was voicing an incomplete thought. She wants to be something other than what she is, that being the “angel of death”. Sam’s present state isn’t going to help any, especially if she’s the one who decides to pull the plug.

4. BlakNo1 says:

Since the PC Guy plays a specialist, it’s not that surprising that we haven’t seen him before. I just hope we don’t see him again, kind of annoying.

5. mdh says:

BlakNo1 – I agree we probably won’t see him again, but I disagree that he was annoying. I heart the Hodge.

6. I think that Cavil chap is up to no good. He seems quite the stinker.
    (Hodgeman amused me but I don’t want to see him again. Besides, he took screen-time away from Cottle.)

7. flory says:

You Must Raise Our Child With Dignity
    Raise your hand if you got the Fields of Athenry reference.
    I need some help with the chronology here.
    The 13th tribe created the original cylons who ended up on earth and died in the first(?) nuclear holocaust. All the remains found on earth were cylon.
    So where’s the 13th tribe?
    And how did they have the technology to create skinjobs that could procreate 2000 years ago, but the other 12 tribes have just recently advanced that far?
    Also — if Cavil’s got the technology that lets him take apart a human brain and suck the memories free why doesn’t he have the technology to download himself into a centurion body with all the sensory enhancements he’s jonesing after?
    WTF is with Adama right now? Is he stress-drinking?
    Looked like he was popping pills too. Is he dying right along with Space Mom?
    Kara. Saying, “I need to be something.” You are. That’s the secret.
    She needs to be something without big holes in the subroutines. She went off on her mystery space adventure and life changing things happened as a result — but she remembers none of it. Right now she’s feeling incomplete. She needs to be a complete something.
    What if that’s been it, all along?
    The end of days?
    That would be almost as cheap an ending as Sopranos.

8. flory says:

I thinkAmanda nailed it: Daniel is Starbuck’s father. And he’s in the fleet.

9. BlakNo1 says:

So where’s the 13th tribe?

They got nuked. Remember, Earth is the 13th tribe. They migrated from Kobol. The humans on Kobol were the original creators of The Cylons. Saul had a great line about this right after Tory pointed that out.

10. BlakNo1 says:

Daniel is Starbuck’s father. And he’s in the fleet.

Will he be played by a relative of Fred Astaire?
    Sorry, couldn’t help it.

11. BuggyQ says:

Oh, crap, BlakNo1, I can’t believe that I didn’t make that 13 connection before. They are really bringing the Biblical, aren’t they? The 13th tribe returns to help the humans, but end up betraying them?
    Is there redemption for Judas?
    If Amanda is right, and Daniel is Starbuck’s father, then the Cylons could procreate all along, so why didn’t they manage it before Hera and FrakkedUpBeforeBirthBabyTigh? (Though I have to say, I’m expecting more Biblical–WitchQueen Ellen spirits away one Daniel before the evil king can have them all killed and hides him with no memory of who he is–a little Moses/Jesus action goin’ on there.)
    And Starbuck *downloaded* somewhere, somehow. There’s another Resurrection Hub out there, one that the Final Five downloaded to after the destruction of Earth. One that by the definition we got in this ep (the Final Five gave the 12-Colonies-Cylons the skinjobs) *had* to be different from the one that we destroyed. Sooooo…among many other implications, that means that Sam can download (if they’re close enough, and given that Starbuck downloaded, they *must* be), and Starbuck will be seeing him again. Will she figure that out and let him go?
    Finally, the whole “many shall be purified and made white” thing immediately snapped me back to Starbuck and her shiny new ship. And in this context, I don’t think the “end of days” will be at all what we think.
    Oh, and another thing…I lovelovelove the idea of broken-down old lady Galactica being made new by being made *alive*.

12. BlakNo1 says:

These last 5 eps are going to be a serious roller-coaster ride.

13. Ink Asylum says:

[i]If Amanda is right, and Daniel is Starbuck’s father, then the Cylons could procreate all along, so why didn’t they manage it before Hera and FrakkedUpBeforeBirthBabyTigh?[/i]
    If Daniel is Kara’s father then he was only able to procreate with a human woman he loved, Kara’s mom, just like Athena was only able to procreate with Helo to produce Hera.
    Tigh was able to knock up CapricaSix because he’s an Earth-Cylon. Earth-Cylons had “evolved” to the point of being able to breed amongst themselves, so he is essentially human in that regard and could knock up Six like Helo knocked up Athena.

14. flory says:

They got nuked. Remember, Earth is the 13th tribe
    There were no human remains on earth. The 13th tribe was cylon? Then who nuked them?
    Tigh was able to knock up CapricaSix because he’s an Earth-Cylon.
    Humans are only able to knock up cylons that they love. Does Tigh love Caprica 6 — or does he love the head-Ellen he keeps confusing for Caprica 6? And how does that play into that particular bit of mystical reproductive biology?

15. BlakNo1 says:

There were no human remains on earth. The 13th tribe was cylon?
    Yup, remember?
    Then who nuked them?
    That’s something I’ve been wodnering ever since the season started back up. I’m guessing either a worldwide civil war or attackers from Kobol.

16. darrelplant says:

I think Amanda nailed it: Daniel is Starbuck’s father. And he’s in the fleet.
    And Daniel’s Adama and Kara and Lee are siblings, in a twisted rendering of the Luke/Leia thing fromStar Wars.

17. flory says:

I’m guessing either a worldwide civil war or attackers from Kobol.
    The 12 colonies are the people from Kobol.
    If they knew where the 13th tribe had gone why have we spent 4 seasons trying to find the place again?
    And Daniel’s Adama and Kara and Lee are siblings
    Nah. That would be too cheap.
    Whoever Daniel is, he’s been hanging out on that colony Ellen mentioned where she and the other 4 left all their equipment. And since that equipment likely includes a resurrection hub, Daniel is also somebody who died. My guess is its somebody who died very early on, like in Season 1. Maybe even in the cylon attack.