Yet more gay: Eyes on the Prize in Houston

Parker

p>Heads up, folks. If you haven’t yet, start following the news about Saturday’smayoral runoff in Houston between third-term City ControllerAnnise Parker and former City Attorney Gene Locke. Parker, an out lesbian, holds a slight edge over Locke at the moment but the upshot is that it’s still too close to call.

But think about it, the fourth-largest city in the country, largest city in the state lots of people love to hate, Texas, might just have itself a lesbian mayor next week. If not, Locke will be the second African American mayor in the city’s history. Either way, Houston will continue to be run by a Democrat.

7 thoughts on “Yet more gay: Eyes on the Prize in Houston

1. paper says:

And, in a race where there isn’t a whole lot to separate their positions, it’s just been revealed that Locke’s staff was behind third-party ads that cast aspersions on Parker’s sexual orientation. Houston has a not-insignificant LGBT population, so Locke’s failure (so far) to disavow those tactics (and local Repubs’ endorsements based on that orientation)could make a difference.

but she’s a BUTCH lesbian. so that’s like voting for a dude, right?

3. mikefromtexas says:

Houston elected Kathy Whitmire as mayor. 3 times. So this wouldn’t set a new precedent. She’s also considered one the best mayors Houston ever had.

4. virgotex says:

mikefromtexas,
    Even if Kathy Whitmire is a lesbian, she’s not out, she did not run as an openly lesbian candidate.
    So this is a precedent.

5. The Other Sarah says:

I kinda like Mike’s stance: another woman mayor is another woman mayor.
    A good one is a great idea.
    The rest of it? Irrelevant piffle stirred up by the religious wingnut haters.

6. virgotex says:

Sorry, I disagree.
    I don’t give a rat’s ass what the religious wingnuts think. That’s not why this is a big deal.
    An out lesbian as the Mayor of a major city in a red state is a big leap forward for the LGBT community.
    In a perfect world, a person’s gender or sexual orientation should not matter. But this is not a perfect world. Visibility matters.

7. I was at the SNAPshots event last Thursday evening and Annise was there to present a proclamation on behalf of the city of Houston and to endorse what SNAP does (low/no-cost spay/neutering and lowcost vet care). She was VERY warmly received by the crowd, a couple hundred or more at the event (it was wall to wall) and she also mentioned her 6 rescue pets! If it was up to the crowd (which had a great deal of LGBT folks there but to me, they were just Houstonians helping raise $ for SNAP), she’s in. πŸ™‚ Sadly my ‘trying to get ready for my trip’ self missed out on early voting in the run-off and I’ll be out of state tomorrow and will miss actual election day. πŸ™ Annise would get my vote if I was able to cast it.
    And to think, if she wins and then former Mayor Bill White wins the governor’s mansion (hopefully freshened up from the fire) – that would be MAJOR for TX to ebb from da redz! πŸ™‚
    Okay, GOTTA go pack and load da car. 5 a.m. is surly in the morning! πŸ™‚