Deep HCR Thought

When we were watching the House HCR
proceedings on Sunday, Dr. A asked me a simple yet provocative question
after one of the Wingnuttier rants: “If they hate government so much,
what are they doing in Congress?”

Now that’s a deep thought…

7 thoughts on “Deep HCR Thought

1. CZHA says:

I can’t remember who said this, and I’m paraphrasing:
    If you believe that government has a role to play, a legitimate purpose, then your participation in government is an act of faith and commitment predicated upon your own commitment to purpose and legitimacy.
    If, on the other hand, you think that government has little legitimacy and should exist only for the leanest of security purposes, your participation in government is valid only to meet those security ends, and any greater involvement is an act of cynicism.
    No one should be surprised when cynics use government as a means of lining their (and their friends’) pockets.

2. The Other Sarah says:

pocket-lining, if they’re Republicans.

3. Elspeth Ravenwind says:

Just another reason Dr. A is one of my ‘favoritest’ people! 🙂

4. montag says:

Heh. It was St. Ronnie Raygun that said, “government cannot solve your problems. It is the problem.”
    But, he wanted to be and eventually was the head of that government.
    To the uninitiated and the naive, that perhaps suggested that he wantedfix the problem. What he wanted most was to take lots of naps and let his people go about the business ofcausing some very large, long-term problems.
    Republicans are good at creating self-fulfilling prophecies…

5. ...now I try to be amused says:

People who hate government take government jobs to keep the government out of the hands of those who think government can do good. In their own minds they are making a great personal sacrifice, so they feel entitled to graft while in office, and lobbying gigs or wingnut welfare after leaving office.
    I find it reprehensible, but looking at it from their point of view it all makes perfect sense to me.

6. wolfetone says:

I think Thomas Frank nailed the reason in The Wrecking Crew, http://www.amazon.com/Wrecking-Crew-How-Conservatives-Rule/dp/0805079882

Why be in govt if you are a Freeper – because as a Senator you make all these connections so that you can live as an ubermensch.